Cairns Airport, in Australia, is situated in the southeastern region of the tropical Cape York Peninsula. A major airport in Australia, it caters to Queensland and the encompassing city of Cairns.
CNS Airport is easily accessible due to its close proximity to an extensive road network. The two runways cater to millions of passengers serving domestic and international airlines, connecting to cities around the world.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Formerly under the operation of Cairns Port Authority, Cairns Airport has grown to become the 7th busiest airport in Australia.
- June 2006 witnessed the termination of operations of the Cairns Airport as the main base for Australian Airlines.
- The airport officiates as a base for the search and rescue helicopters of the State Emergency Service and the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia.
- In mid-2019, the airport served just over 5 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Passengers are advised to strictly follow the airport guidelines regarding baggage-limits and more regularly updated by the Transport Safety Administration.
- Passengers are required to arrive at least 3 hours before the flight arrival.
- Unexpected flight delays are part-and-parcel of the airport routine. Passengers are requested to confirm their flight schedule and plan accordingly.
- Document processing has been made swift and effortless, with the installation of SmartGate border control’s ABC e-gates.
Passenger Pick-up & Drop-off
- Pick-up zones located outside the international and domestic terminals are strictly regulated. They offer a 10-minute free parking option and a 30-minute free wait in the standby zone.
- Similar restrictions apply for visitors and passengers in the drop-off zones.
- Passengers can track the status of their flight arrival and departure, along with the gate information and in-flight vs. arrival/departure status.
- The handy flight tracker tool offers a rich and interactive experience with details indicating aircraft speed, altitude, distance covered, and more.
- Passengers can avail of affordable travel fares by booking a flight at CNS.
Cairns Airport caters to two terminals, One International and One Domestic passenger terminal. Situated on the eastern side of the airport, the two concourses are connected by a covered walkway measuring 200 m in length.
For more information regarding the amenities offered, please refer to the Cairns Airport Terminal Map.
Cairns Airport serves multiple airlines in both the domestic and international departments. Domestic - Alliance Airlines, Qantas Airways Airlines, and more.
International - Air Niugini, Hong Kong Airlines, and more.
View the related information and the full list of airlines served here.
Short-Term & Long-Term Parking
Cairns Airport offers several covered and uncovered as well as budget-friendly parking options outside the domestic and international terminals.
- For those conscious of your budget, the uncovered parking zones outside Terminals 1 and 2 offer value parking options. They are suitable for quick city breaks and even longer off-stay periods.
- The covered parking zone outside Terminal 2 offers premium spaces; suitable for long business or leisure trips.
Multiple off-site parking lots are available to visitors in the vicinity of Cairns Airport. They are conveniently located at a walking distance and open 24/7 for parking purposes.
For passengers who have alighted from their flights and require transportation to reach their destination, Cairns Airport offers several options. Passengers can choose from taxis, cabs, buses and trains, shuttle vans, and even limos.
Taxi & Limo
Passengers may not always have the convenience of having driven over to the airport in their own vehicle. In such cases, it would be convenient to book a taxi and maybe hire a Limo if you are up for it. Passengers who are new to the experience can inquire about the taxi rates at the information desk. Taxi and Cab services are available at T1 and T2 at the pick-up zones.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is the most economical means of transport. Before climbing into a bus, ensure the route ahead of time to gauge traffic and frequent stops you may encounter. Similarly, when boarding a train, consider the luggage issues you may face while accessing the multiple escalators or train terminals.
The pick-up point for airport connected buses are available at the airport terminals.
Shared Shuttle Rides
Cost-effective options to cabs or rentals, Airport Shuttles provide door-to-door service and sharing options. Cairn Airport, bus shuttle services to nearby hotels, the city center, and other well-known landmarks like the Palm Cove are also available. Passengers can avail the services upon arrival outside the terminals.
Amenities & Services
Cairns Airport supplies plenty of provision to passengers regarding the amenities and services.
● ATM/Banking services
● Pet services
● Currency exchange terminals
● Coffee and Brewery outlets
● Health and Beauty outlets
● Duty-free shops
● Electronics, Cosmetics, Branded outlets, and more.
Address: Airport Avenue, Cairns, QNS Q 4870, AUS
Contact: [email protected]
Phone: + 61 7 4080 6703
Cairns Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- Cairns Airport began its humble journey in 1928, centered around a sand ridge runway.
- In 1943, under the authority of the Australian Government, the runway was lengthened and hardened for the use of military aircraft.
- The runway was upgraded twice again in 1949 and mid-1960, with the total length reaching 2,020 m.
- The 1970s brought in a deluge of operational airlines domestically (Ansett) as well as internationally (Air Niugini).
- The redevelopment of Cairns Airport that began in 1982 witnessed the construction of the various facilities of the airport. Check-in facilities were expanded, buildings enlarged, and the runway lengthened.
- The terminals recently underwent an expansion in August 2019, with an objective to accommodate 6 million passengers by 2027.