The Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) or BWI Marshall is the busiest airport in Maryland. The airport is commonly referred to by its airport code BWI, but the name Thurgood Marshall was added to honor of its native son, the late Supreme Court Judge Thurgood Marshall. The airport mainly serves Baltimore and Washington metropolitan areas. BWI is located in an unincorporated area of Anne Arundel County, 9 miles south of downtown Baltimore and 30 miles northeast of Washington D.C.
BWI airport provides international flights to almost all popular destinations, including Europe, North America, Asia and Middle East. The airport is also famous for its low-cost flight for both domestic and international flights. The main carrier operating at BWI airport is Southwest Airlines. Baltimore airport provides flights to over 27 million passengers annually.
Maps, Airlines & Amenities
Baltimore Washington Airport (BWI) Terminals
Airport Stats & Facts
- BWI airport is the 22nd busiest airport in the United States. BWI is one of the busiest airports in the U.S. in terms of passenger boarding, coming in at #22.
- Ranked among the 'top 10 Most Surprisingly Great Airports in America' - including its offers for fitness, rest, relaxation, cultural enrichment and outdoor activities.
- Baltimore airport provides flights to over 27 million passengers annually.
- Condé Nast Traveler ranked BWI among one of the top 10 airports in the United States.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Baltimore BWI airport peak hours are between 6am & 11am and between 3pm & 5pm. Peak travel days are Thursdays & Fridays.You should arrive at the airport two hours prior to your domestic flight and three hours prior to your intentional flight, according to the airport’s recommendations. TSA security checks and other processes could cause flight delays. So don’t take the recommendation lightly!
- It’s useful to look at the BWI Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- To pick someone up from the Baltimore Washington airport, you should head to your terminal curbside on the upper level. If you can’t find space in your terminal gates, you can use Hourly Garage ($4 an hour) or Cell Phone Lot, where you can wait for free and make or receive calls from your passenger.
- For drop-offs you should go to the upper level of the airport. Keep following the signs for departures as you approach the airport. Look for your airline logo or sign and take the appropriate directions accordingly.
- During busy hours the departures section could have long queues and cause delays. In this situation it’s better to drop-off your passenger at the corresponding arrival Gate in the lower level.
- For arriving flights, our BWI Arriving Flight Status guide offers BWI arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departures, check our BWI Departing Flight Status guide that lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and BWI airport gate information.
- To get the best fares at the Baltimore–Washington International Airport, Book a Flight at BWI.
The Baltimore International Airport has one main terminal, with five Concourses: A, B, C, D and E. The main terminal building has two levels: lower and upper. The lower area is mainly for arrivals and baggage claim, while the upper level is for ticketing and departures. To see details about BWI terminals and additional information, check out the BWI airport terminal map.
Concourse A and B: This portion has 25 gates. Mostly, these concourses are exclusively operated by Southwest Airlines.
Concourse C: This concourse has gates from C1 to C14, located on the upper level. Main airlines operating at this concourse include Alaska Airlines, American and Southwest Airlines.
Concourse D: There are 29 gates on this concourse, from D1 to D29. Important airlines operating on this concourse are Allegiant Air, Air Canada, Delta, JetBlue, Southern Airways, Spirit and United Airlines.
Concourse E: This concourse is reserved for international flights, and has five gates (E1, E3, E4, E6, E8). Condor, WOW and British Airways operate on this concourse.
Over 36 airlines operate at the Baltimore airport, including Southwest, Air Canada, Alaska, Allegiant, American Airlines, British Airways, Condor, Delta, JetBlue, Spirit and United. BWI airport is the main hub of Southwest Airlines. Approximately 68% of the airline flights at BWI go to Southwest.
View the full list of airlines served at BWI Airport.
There are several parking options available at the BWI airport, including Hourly Garage, FlyAway Valet, Daily Garage, Express Parking, and Long-Term Parking.
For hourly garage, there are different packages available, with prices starting from $4 an hour. You can also buy daily garage packages for around $22 a day. Long-term parking packages start at $8 per day.
Valet parking is also available for $30 per day.
After arriving at BWI airport, there are several transport options to reach your next destinations. Some of the most commonly used and easily accessible transport options at BWI include public transport, taxi, ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft.
Shuttle: BWI airport provides continuous shuttle services to and from famous nearby public transport stations. The shuttle service picks up passengers from all parking stations after every 8 to 10 minutes and drops them at the nearby MARC/Amtrak station. If you want to use a bus, you can use ICC Bus Route 201. You can also take RTA 501 route to reach any famous place in Maryland, including Howard County, Anne Arundel County, City of Laurel, and Northern Prince George’s County.
Metro: You can also use Metro bus service as it goes from the airport to the Greenbelt Metro Station after every 60 minutes.
Car Rentals at Baltimore airport: Several car rental companies like Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz, Payless and Thrifty operate at the BWI Marshall Airport. The car rental facility at BWI is located at Stoney Run Road and New Ridge Road. You can take the free shuttle service to reach the car rental building.
Amenities & Services
- Over 50 stores for shopping
- Starbucks, Marriott, and all famous fast-food chains
- Cardio Trail
- Special 12.5 mile Hiker/Biker airport trail
- Shoeshine stations
- Sleeping areas
- Foreign currency exchange
- Play areas
- Pet relief centers
- Nursing stations
- Volunteering help
The Baltimore Washington Airport is owned and operated by The Maryland Aviation Administration (MAA).
Address: Baltimore, MD 21240, United States
Phone: +1 410-859-7111
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & found.
Baltimore Thurgood Airport: A Brief History and Timeline
- The BWI Airport started its operations on June 24, 1950. It was inaugurated by President Harry Truman.
- The cost of building the BWI airport was estimated at $9 million.
- The Maryland Department of Transportation bought the airport from the City of Baltimore for $36 million in 1972.
- The airport was renamed Baltimore/Washington International Airport in 1973.
- The airport was renovated at a larger scale in 1974 for $30 million.
- Concourses A and B were expanded to accommodate Southwest’s operations in the early 2000s.
- The BWI airport is featured in several famous movies, including The Silence of the Lambs, Goldfinger, Broadcast News, Home for the Holidays and Twelve Monkeys.
What time do airline check-ins open in morning?
Asked by Dana Walker - Tue, 4 October
It depends on that day's flights. Please check with your airlines.
How do I get assistance in getting to the gate? I have mobility issues.
Asked by Beth Mitchell - Tue, 20 September
You can make the arrangements with your airlines when booking the flight for assistance.
Where is the Air Canada ticket counter?
Asked by George Larson - Tue, 6 September
The Air Canada ticket counter is located in Concourse D.
Is there a cell phone lot for drivers to wait for passengers to arrive for pick up?
Asked by Jody j beAl - Sat, 3 September
Yes, there is a cell phone lot on Scott Road and it is just to the right of the entrance of the daily parking garage.
How do I get to the airport from the Amtrak Station?
Asked by Marvin A Raps - Fri, 12 August
That depends on which station you are coming from. For specific details please call 800-872-7245.
Are there porters to help with bags at BWI?
Asked by Doug Apo - Fri, 12 August
We didn't find any porter services available at this airport.
What restaurants are in the main terminal?
Asked by Jo Ann Pyles - Mon, 25 July
There are 5 concourses throughout the terminal with many different restaurant options. Please see the map and list here.
Where do I drop off an Avis rental car?
Asked by Regina - Mon, 20 June
You can return the rental car to the airport's rental car facility at 7432 New Ridge Rd., Hanover, MD 21076.
I have a three hour layover at BWI, is that enough time to visit the Smithsonian?
Asked by Kathleen - Tue, 14 June
It takes over 40 minutes to travel one way to the Smithsonian, so we don't believe you would have enough time with a 3-hour layover to make sure you catch your next flight.
Where is the lost and found?
Asked by Diana - Sat, 21 May
The Lost & Found Office at this airport can be found at the exit to Concourse C on the upper level of the terminal. It is open Monday-Friday from 9am to 5pm. The office may be reached by calling 410-859-7387, but please first fill out the online form.
Is parking free for handicapped parking ?
Asked by Linda - Sun, 15 May
No, all parking spaces have the same fees.
What garages will be open for parking on Monday, May 9th?
Asked by Mary - Thu, 5 May
As of today, the Hourly Garage, Daily Garage, Express Parking, and Long Term Parking Garages are open.
What concourse does Southwest use?
Asked by lynne - Wed, 27 April
Southwest operates out of Concourses A, B, C and E.
United club location?
Asked by rick haupt - Sat, 16 April
There is no specific United Club at this airport.
How much is handicapped parking?
Asked by Bill - Thu, 24 March
Does BWI have a Clear security point?
Asked by Kyle Masiello - Mon, 21 March
Yes, and travelers can enroll in Clear at Checkpoints A, B, C, and D/E
How much are the luggage carts at BWI Airport?
Asked by Mindy - Thu, 17 March
Luggage carts typically are $4-$5, but prices can vary. Find out more information on luggage services here.
What concourse is Southwest Airlines on?
Asked by Kathy Alexander - Mon, 14 March
Southwest Airlines operates out of Terminals A, B, C, E. We recommend checking with Southwest where your flight departs from.
How do I hire a skycap for a handicapped person?
Asked by jan - Mon, 28 February
For Skycap Service, please call 410-850-7674.
Where do I park to wait for arrivals?
Asked by EARLE TODD - Tue, 22 February
You can wait at the Airport Cell Phone Lot for up to an hour, as long as your vehicle is attended. The Cell Phone Lot is located on Scott Road just to the right of the Daily Parking Garage entrance.
Could you please tell me if Southwest has resumed curbside check-in?
Asked by Margaret O Robison - Mon, 21 February
No, Southwest does not currently offer curbside check-in. Please check back with Southwest for updates.
What concourse does Frontier airlines depart from?
Asked by Gene Mongelluzzo - Wed, 16 February