Charleston International Airport is a joint civil-military airport in South Carolina. It is operated by the Charleston County Aviation Authority under a joint-use agreement with Joint Base Charleston.
CHS airport is located in North Charleston and is approximately 12 miles (19 km) northwest of downtown Charleston.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Charleston Airport is South Carolina's largest and busiest airport.
- In 2018, the airport served nearly 4.5 million passengers in its busiest year on record.
- The airport consists of 4 general areas: the military area to the west, the airline terminal to the south, the general aviation area to the east, and the Boeing assembly area further to the south.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Travelers are recommended to arrive at the airport at least two hours before scheduled departure to allow enough time to park, check-in, and go through the security procedure.
- When checking in online, your airline may assume you have already arrived at the airport and that you are at your gate waiting to board your flight.
- Make sure to have your photo identification document and pack carry-on luggage in a suitable manner to make your journey hassle-free.
- Please have a look at the CHS Airport map, before heading to the airport for a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be dropped off outside the terminal from where they’ve to board a flight.
- For pickup, visitors can use the free cell phone lot located on the right-side International Blvd. just yards before reaching the main terminal drop-off area, until the passenger is not ready to be picked up.
- If you decide to move through the curbside, make sure the vehicle is never left unattended.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Charleston Airport.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at CHS.
The current airline terminal at Charleston Airport completed a three-year, $200 million redevelopment project in 2016 which added five gates and significantly renovated the interior appearance of the facility.
There are 2 Concourses - Concourse A and Concourse B.
The departures and arrivals are located on the same floor, with the departure area to the east end of the terminal and the arrival area to the west end.
To see the terminal location, and for more information, please refer to the CHS Terminal Map here.
Charleston Airport serves several airlines including United Express, JetBlue, Delta Air Lines, American Eagle, Alaska Airlines, and more.
View the full list of airlines served at CHS Airport here.
A variety of parking options are available at Charleston Airport. These include:
Hourly parking deck has two floors of covered parking with an open-air third floor. From the hourly deck, passengers are only a short walk away from boarding their airplanes.
$1 per 20 minutes
$15 per Day
$15 Lost ticket fee (min. per day)
Economy Lot A
It is located directly behind the hourly parking deck and may be accessed by traversing the garage and exiting on the backside, on the first floor.
$1 per 20 minutes
$10 per Day
$10 Lost ticket fee (min. per day)
Passengers have a variety of ground transportation options after arriving at Charleston Airport. From rental cars to buses to taxis, and more, they can choose according to their convenience and requirements.
The rental car companies operating from Charleston International Airport's Rental Car Pavilion, are located at the end of the terminal near Baggage Claim. Alamo, Avis, Dollar, Budget, are some of the well-known providers.
Taxi service is available in the center median outside baggage claim. There is a $15 minimum charge for all taxi services departing from the CHS airport.
Scheduled Bus Service available in the Charleston area is offered through the Charleston Area Regional Authority, CARTA. Its stop is a well-lit, covered shelter that is located on the outside curb just beyond the Baggage Claim end of the terminal.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great stay, Charleston Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 5500 International Blvd, N Charleston, SC 29418-6911, USA
Phone: (843) 767 7000
Charleston Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1928, the Charleston Airport Corporation was founded and purchased 700 acres of land.
- Within ten years, three runways were paved and outfitted with lighting for nighttime operations.
- In 1949, a new passenger terminal was built.
- In 1952, the City of Charleston and the United States Air Force reached an agreement on control of the base and the runways - an arrangement that has been renegotiated over time and that continues to this day.
- In the 1980s, the current terminal on the south end of the airport was built.
- In October 2009, Boeing announced that it would build a major plant on 265 acres at the airport.
- Since 2015, a consolidated TSA security checkpoint is utilized for both concourses.
- In October 2018, British Airways announced the commencement of a direct route from London Heathrow for the summer season, flying twice weekly which commenced in April 2019.