The Charlotte Douglas Airport is a civil-military airport in Charlotte, North Carolina. It was the 11th busiest airport in the US, in the year 2019, as ranked by passenger traffic. CLT Airport covers an area of 5,558 acres (2,249 ha) of land. Charlotte Airport is 8 miles from the financial district of the City of Charlotte, situated near the border of the North & South Carolinas, accessible from Interstate Hwy 485.
Airport Stats & Facts
- CLT Airport has 4 long runways, and over 46 million passengers annually.
- The airport is the second-largest hub for American Airlines.
- In 2019, it was the 11th busiest airport in the US, ranked by passenger traffic, and the 6th busiest airport in the world, ranked by aircraft movements.
- Charlotte Airport completed $1.5 billion worth of construction projects between 2007 - 2015.
- Awards: CLT has received the Eagle Award from the International Airport Transport Association (IATA), for Best Airport.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport is the busiest in the evening from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Charlotte Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: CLT Arriving Flight Status provides Charlotte airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: CLT Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and CLT airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Charlotte International Airport, book a flight at CLT.
Charlotte International airport has 115 gates on 5 concourses. For additional information, please refer to the Charlotte Airport terminal map.
- Concourse A - 21 gates
- Concourse B - 16 gates
- Concourse C - 18 gates
- Concourse D - 13 gates
- Concourse E - 46 gates
The Charlotte Airport serves various airlines and is a hub for American Airlines.
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at CLT Airport is available onsite. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Charlotte Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near CLT Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental:
Car Rentals are a breeze at CLT. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Charlotte Airport. With the availability of various shuttle and van services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains:
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby, serving the greater Charlotte area.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Charlotte Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Visitors picking up passengers are suggested to utilize the Hourly Lot. Hourly parking is free for the first hour and spaces are available on levels 4-7.
- Passengers may be dropped off curbside on the upper level (Departures/Ticketing).
Address: 5501 Josh Birmingham Parkway, Charlotte, NC 28208, USA
Contact: [email protected]
Phone: (704) 359 4013
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Charlotte Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1936, Charlotte Municipal Airport opened, and was operated by the City of Charlotte.
- In 1954, a passenger terminal opened and the airport was renamed Douglas Municipal Airport.
- In 1982, the airport was named Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
- In 1984, Concourse B was expanded and C in 1986.
- In 1986, Concourse A was built to handle future growth.
- In 2007, the construction of the CLT’s fourth runway began.
- In 2015, the CLT 2015 plan was completed.
- In 2020, an expansion project is expected to begin at Terminal A for 10 new gates and be completed in 2022.
Where can I print travel documents?
Asked by Aaron Cowell - Sun, 26 June
There is not a printer at CLT. They recommend that you either print your documents before you arrive at the airport or use the mobile ticket option from your smartphone.
What is the phone number for American Airlines baggage claim?
Asked by Cyndy - Thu, 16 June
American Airlines requests that if you have a baggage claim that you contact the CLT Airport's lost and found department directly at 704-359-8765.
What gate does American Airlines flight from Myrtle beach come in at and what gate does Fort Myers, Fl leave out of on American?
Asked by Janice MCGINNIS - Sun, 15 May
American Airlines operates out of Concourse B at this airport. However, we recommend you check with your airline directly about exact gates, as these can change from day to day.
On Thursday around 2 p.m. I will be picking up 2 relatives (a United flight from Chicago). Will I be able to wait briefly outside the terminal for them to find my car or will I have to park in a lot?
Asked by Ann Milligan - Tue, 19 April
The curbside should only be used for immediate pick-ups and drop-offs. We'd recommend utilizing the free Cell Phone Parking Lot until your passengers are at Baggage Claim.
Delayed baggage from Lufthansa flight yesterday.
Asked by Promilla Batra - Sat, 2 April
Please contact your airline directly about lost or delayed luggage.
Is there a specific parking lot for cell phone users? Friends are arriving at CLT and will contact us upon landing so we can drive them to their hotel.
Asked by Susan - Sat, 2 April
Yes, there is a Cell Phone Parking Lot where you can wait. It's located on Josh Birmingham Parkway to the right, next to Long Term Lot 1. The entrance to the Cell Phone Lot is slightly north of the entrance of Long Term Lot 1.
I have a 40-minute connection time between gates in the middles of Concourses A and C. Can I make it?
Asked by Melodee - Sat, 19 March
We recommend asking your airline(s) about this. It really depends on where your gates are located and in your first flight experiences any delays. Good luck!
Where is the Centurion Lounge?
Asked by william - Tue, 15 March
The Centurion Lounge can be found at the intersection of Concourses D & E, mezzanine level. It's accessible to all gates at CLT and is open 7 am - 8 pm
Will the Chapel have anyone distributing ashes on March 2, 2022 for Ash Wednesday?
Asked by Susan Taylor - Tue, 1 March
This airport has an Airport Chapel that offers Catholic Mass on Sundays at 8:30am and 10:30am. You can contact them at 704-351-3208 to inquire about Ash Wednesday.
My flight lands at midnight and leaves a 7am, are there cots available or somewhere to sleep other than the minute suites?
Asked by Joie - Tue, 25 January
There are Minute Suites available to rent by the hour. Also the Hampton Inn & Suites Charlotte Airport and the Holiday Inn Charlotte Airport have free shuttles to and from the airport. However, there are no free cots available to sleep in.
Curbside bag check
Asked by Ella - Mon, 27 December
Curbside check-in availability varies from airline to airline. We suggest contacting your airline directly to see if they offer it.
Is there COVID testing?
Asked by Michael - Tue, 21 December
This airport does not currently offer COVID testing.
Is there shuttle service from one terminal to another?
Asked by Frederick Shearer - Sun, 28 November
There are no trams or shuttles connecting from one terminal or concourse to another. All concourses and gates are in the same building(s) and accessible from all security checkpoints.
My bag did not get on my flight to Indianapolis yesterday.
Asked by Ann Stuber - Thu, 25 November
Please contact your airline directly regarding and lost luggage. Best of luck!
How do you get to the concourse from parking?
Asked by John Morse - Wed, 24 November
You are easily able to walk to the concourse. However, accessible shuttles run continuously.
Where are the elevators located in the airport?
Asked by Marilyn Hankins - Wed, 17 November
Where can I find a map of CLT Airport?
Asked by June - Tue, 16 November
I am arriving from ORD - connecting through CLT - final destination is PUJ (Punta Cana, Dominican Republic) on AA.Will my connecting departing flight be in terminal B or, other?
Asked by CC - Mon, 15 November
Concourse D is used for international flights and your flight is likely to depart from there. The last flight using these city pairs left from Gate D11. Check the board when you arrive at the airport to verify your departure gate. Safe travels.
Where can I get an escort pass?
Asked by amy - Mon, 15 November
You can get an escort pass from the airline of the traveler you are escorting. Just go to the ticketing desk. Note that each airline has different policies for dealing with such passes.
I have an interview for my TSA Global Entry pass. Where are their offices?
Asked by Ed Tisdale - Tue, 21 September
For interviews, proceed to the north end of the Baggage Claim area (Zone E - in front of the Badging Office) where you will see the sign - “Arriving International Passenger – Do not Enter.” Disregard the sign and walk up the large hall to where you will see a sign that reads, “Global Entry Interviews." Hope this helps.