Charlotte Douglas Airport CLT - Charlotte International Airport
Charlotte Airport Overview
The Charlotte Douglas Airport is a civil-military airport in Charlotte, North Carolina. It was the 11th busiest airport in the US, in the year 2019, as ranked by passenger traffic. CLT Airport covers an area of 5,558 acres (2,249 ha) of land. Charlotte Airport is 8 miles from the financial district of the City of Charlotte, situated near the border of the North & South Carolinas, accessible from Interstate Hwy 485.
Airport Stats & Facts
- CLT Airport has 4 long runways, and over 46 million passengers annually.
- The airport is the second-largest hub for American Airlines.
- In 2019, it was the 11th busiest airport in the US, ranked by passenger traffic, and the 6th busiest airport in the world, ranked by aircraft movements.
- Charlotte Airport completed $1.5 billion worth of construction projects between 2007 - 2015.
- Awards: CLT has received the Eagle Award from the International Airport Transport Association (IATA), for Best Airport.
Charlotte Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport is the busiest in the evening from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Charlotte Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: CLT Arriving Flight Status provides Charlotte airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: CLT Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and CLT airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Charlotte International Airport, book a flight at CLT.
Charlotte International airport has 115 gates on 5 concourses. For additional information, please refer to the Charlotte Airport terminal map.
- Concourse A - 21 gates
- Concourse B - 16 gates
- Concourse C - 18 gates
- Concourse D - 13 gates
- Concourse E - 46 gates
The Charlotte Airport serves various airlines and is a hub for American Airlines.
Charlotte Airport Parking
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at CLT Airport is available onsite. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Charlotte Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near CLT Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental:
Car Rentals are a breeze at CLT. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Charlotte Airport. With the availability of various shuttle and van services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains:
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby, serving the greater Charlotte area.
Amenities & Services at CLT Airport
To help you enjoy your stay, Charlotte Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Address: 5501 Josh Birmingham Parkway, Charlotte, NC 28208, USA
Phone: (704) 359 4013
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Charlotte Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1936, Charlotte Municipal Airport opened, and was operated by the City of Charlotte.
- In 1954, a passenger terminal opened and the airport was renamed Douglas Municipal Airport.
- In 1982, the airport was named Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
- In 1984, Concourse B was expanded and C in 1986.
- In 1986, Concourse A was built to handle future growth.
- In 2007, the construction of the CLT’s fourth runway began.
- In 2015, the CLT 2015 plan was completed.
- In 2020, an expansion project is expected to begin at Terminal A for 10 new gates and be completed in 2022.
Charlotte Airport FAQs
Q. Is Charlotte Airport the same as CLT?
- Yes. while the official name Charlotte International Airport, it is commonly referred to as Charlotte Airport, or just CLT.
Q. How far is the Charlotte Airport from the city of Charlotte?
- CLT Airport is 8 miles from the financial district of the city of Charlotte.
Q. What airlines have a hub in CLT Airport?
- CLT serves as a secondary hub for American Airlines.
Q. Can you sleep at Charlotte Airport?
- Passengers are permitted to sleep in the CLT Airport. It remains open 24 hours a day and visitors can stay airside overnight.
We also recommend these CLT layover ideas.
Q.What cities can I fly from Charlotte?
- Being one of the busiest US airports, you can fly to many cities around the world. Check out our direct flights page to see where you can go.
distance between terminals
how far is it from gate E27 to gate C8?es 03/07/2020
Short connection time between flights
I am flying into CLT on American Airlines and have a [more]Rhonda Conner 02/26/2020
E21 to C19
Flight lands at 825am at E21. Flight leaves C19 at 92 [more]TM 02/25/2020
My flight arrives at terminal D 9 and connector takes [more]BKP 02/18/2020