Chennai Airport is located on Grand Southern Trunk Road (National Hwy 45), in the town of Tirusulam, and is only 7 km south of the city of Chennai (formerly known as Madras).
With 18.4 million passengers during the 12-months period 2016/17, and a second runway, Chennai Airport is served by domestic and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
NOTE: In order to facilitate exchange of banned high value currency notes, public and private sector banks set up special counters at the Airport.
The new Chennai Airport's passenger terminal complex now encompasses an expanded & upgraded international terminal (Anna Terminal), and a brand-new domestic terminal (Kamarash Terminal) - both opened separately in 2013, and are interconnected by a link building housing administrative offices and a restaurant. An elevated travelator connects international & domestic terminals (1 kilometer apart, but under one roof).
- The Domestic Terminal handles about 5 million passengers a year, with 48 check-in counters. Its boarding gates are on two levels - six on the ground level, three of level 1.
- The International Ana Terminal has 45 check-in, 38 immigration, & 18 customs counters. On level 1 are six boarding gates. Gradually more amenities & services will be added.
Currently there is still no international arrivals hall - passengers need to exit through the arrivals section of the old Anna International Terminal (AIT). It may have been decided meanwhile to remove the partition between the old domestic arrivals & the international arrivals hall currently being used, and relocating certain facilities.
Amenities and services at both domestic & international terminals: Aside from food & drink, retail & duty-free shops, you find banking facilities, conference rooms, lounges, medical & health scan facilities, free trolleys, vending machines, tourist and railway information counters, a City coach center, and special ADA assistance. Day rooms & dormitory-style accommodations are available for transit passengers.
Air India has its lounge in the international terminal (showers available);
Jet Airways offers (a) the Taj Flight of Fancy and JetAirways Premiere in the domestic terminal; and (b) the Clipper Lounge and Royal Lounge in the international terminal.
Present and future Airport developments:
- Currently the Airport faces many problems in terms of structure and maintenance. (Since 2013, 64 glass panels collapsed, including one in June 2016 - along with granite slabs and false ceiling.) In the latest approach to address current problems, Airports Authority of India decided in July 2016 that a new terminal with 'seamless operations' is to be built - in place of the current old terminal situated between the two new terminals. With the new terminal in place, total airport capacity would increase from 23M to 30M passengers annualy. Completion is scheduled for 2020/21.
- The The Metro, which currently it connects Chennai Airport to parts of northern Chennai & city center covers 45 km and is eventually to include 7 routes.
- No current news up to August 2017 could be obtained. (The 'new' AAI airports site is still in development and currently of little use).
Travel help needed!
Hello dude, Good day to all! I'm a newbie here. I wo [more]Garry Marton 02/23/2019