Midway Airport MDW is the second-largest Airport (after O'Hare) of both the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois - serving Greater Chicago and its surrounding counties. It is located 8 miles from downtown Chicago, Illinois, and borders the suburbs of Burbank & Clearing. The airport is operated by the Chicago Department of Aviation.
Chicago Midway is becoming one of the fastest-growing airports in North America. It is readily accessible from Chicago's center in less than 30 minutes via the Stevenson Expressway.
Airport Stats & Facts
- In 2017, MDW started its $248M upgrade by unveiling 21 new food & retail concessions located in the area where Southwest Airlines dominates.
- In 2018, it was the 27th busiest airport in the US and the 29th busiest in North America, in terms of passenger traffic.
- In 2019, MDW Airport served more than 20 million passengers.
- The Airport has approximately 233 daily direct flights.
- Presently, Midway Airport is the second largest airport in the Chicago metropolitan area.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Airport peak hours are between 5 am & 8:30 am and between 3 pm and 6 pm.
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- To avoid TSA checkpoint delays - check your pockets before getting to the front line and put all items in your carry-on bag!
- Take a few minutes to look at the Midway Airport Map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: MDW Arriving Flight Status provides Midway airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: MDW Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and MDW airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Chicago Midway International Airport, compare fares here.
Chicago Midway Airport has one passenger terminal with Concourses A, B, and C and the concourses have 43 aircraft gates.
- Concourse A - 17 gates
- Concourse B - 23 gates
- Concourse C - 3 gates
The Airport serves various airlines including Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and more. View the full list of airlines served at MDW airport.
Short-term and Long-term Parking
Parking at MDW Airport is available onsite. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Midway International Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near Midway Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at MDW. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from the Chicago Midway Airport.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. Most modes of transportation are located at the main entrance area of the terminal. Both Orange Line Trains and CTA buses serve Chicago.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Midway Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoe shine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Arriving passengers can be picked up at the lower level at the outermost curb front.
- Passengers can be dropped off at the curb in front of any concourse. Follow the signs for Departures which lead you to the upper-level roadway.
Address: 5700 South Cicero Ave, Chicago, IL 60638, USA
Phone: (773) 838 0600 or 838 9111
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Midway Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1923, Midway Airport was built on a 320-acre plot and was originally named Chicago Air Park.
- In1927, its name changed to Chicago Municipal Airport and was initially designed to serve airmail services.
- In1928, MDW Airport owned 12 hangars and 4 runaways.
- In 1931, a new passenger terminal was opened.
- In 1982, the city of Chicago purchased Midway Airport from the Chicago Board of Education for $16 million.
- In 2009, a construction project was added to the concourse A.
- In 2018, construction began for the expansion of security checkpoints and the main parking garage.
- Currently, MDW Airport is the second largest airport in the Chicago metropolitan area, serving more than 22 million passengers.
How much is parking?
Asked by Mary Czapla - Sat, 3 September
There are a variety of parking options available. There is a garage that charges by the hour and is $4/hour. The other options range from $15-$40 a day.
I missed my flight on Frontier but still arriving tomorrow how can I get my bags?
Asked by Kimber Taylor - Fri, 2 September
You will want to contact Frontier Airlines at 1-801-401-9000.
Are there moving walkways at the airport to help people get to their connecting flight faster?
Asked by Denice - Sun, 28 August
Yes, there are moving walkways at this airport.
How do i get from Concourse B to Concourse A ? Is it a short walk or do I take a train/shuttle ?
Asked by GRACE CAMPBELL-ARMSTRON - Wed, 17 August
Concourse A and Concourse B are located in the same building so you can walk back and forth when necessary.
What is the name of Pizzaria near gate B17 serves home run pizza?
Asked by deb - Fri, 12 August
It is called the Home Run Inn.
Which terminal is Southwest airlines located?
Asked by Michael - Thu, 11 August
Southwest Airlines is located in the main terminal and uses Concourses A and B.
Is smoking allowed anywhere in the Airport?
Asked by Kim Zink - Mon, 4 July
There are designated smoking areas outside of the terminal but there is no smoking allowed inside of the airport. (This also includes no vaping)
Is there anybody that can assist a passenger that is disabled between the concourses?
Asked by SEAN GUENGERICH - Thu, 19 May
Is there a waiting lot in case the arriving passenger is not available yet?
Asked by Frank - Wed, 4 May
Yes, there is a free Cell Phone Waiting Lot that you can use. It is located at 61st Street and Cicero Avenue, just south of the main airport entrance. It's about four minutes or less from the main terminal area.
Do we need to make a reservation to park in the economy garage?
Asked by Kara Norton - Tue, 5 April
A parking reservation is not required. However, there are reserving parking spots available.
What is the phone number for Baggage claim?
Asked by Lee Kreul - Sun, 3 April
You should contact your airline directly for any baggage issues, including lost or delayed baggage. Best of luck!
I have a flight that leaves at 5:25am. Is the outside curb baggage open at 4:00am or do I have to check my bags inside?
Asked by Joanna - Sat, 12 March
Airlines determine what time check-in opens, and times can vary depending on flight times. We recommend contacting your airline directly and asking this.
Can you claim baggage at 4am?
Asked by Randy Koss - Tue, 4 January
The terminal is open 24 hours, so you should be able to claim your baggage any time. However, some airlines will place uncollected baggage in a secure storage area - so you will need to find the attendant.
I lost an item on airport.
Asked by Eddie Bravo - Thu, 16 December
If it was lost near the ticket counters or in the gate areas please contact your airline. If it was lost in public areas of the terminal, you can contact the Midway Communication Center at (773) 838-0656. If it was lost in an airport restaurant or shop, contact Midway Concessions Guest Services at (888) 813-4568. If it was lost at security, contact TSA at 773-498-1308. If it was lost in the customs area, contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection at (773) 948-6330
We are meeting a friend at the airport. She has a 2 hour layover and we want to come and have lunch with her. Can we get to the food court without going through security?
Asked by Merry - Wed, 15 December
Is there a United club?
Asked by SHARON K - Thu, 9 December
Other than a Military Lounge, there are no lounges at this airport. This includes a United Club Lounge.
How busy are TSA prechecks typically?
Asked by jennifer - Sat, 4 December
Is there a smoking lounge?
Asked by Jessica Sniffen - Wed, 17 November
No. Smoking is not allowed anywhere inside the airport.
Which Terminal is Delta located in MDW?
Asked by Carrie Gay - Wed, 10 November
Is there luggage carts at the entrance for departures
Asked by Catherine M Goralka - Mon, 25 October
Trying to decide whether to get a wheelchair from Concourse B to baggage claim?
Asked by Margaret Vargo - Thu, 21 October
What time do bars ópen
Asked by Robert - Mon, 18 October
Is there a computer store?
Asked by Mary Teresa Taegel - Sun, 17 October
How long of a walk from B Terminal Gates B2 to B24? I have a bad ankle.
Asked by John A Rolek - Fri, 15 October
Where is baggage claim in Terminal A?
Asked by Eric - Fri, 8 October
Family member lost phone on Friday October 1st in or near women's restroom at Gate B16 or at Gate B16. Lost around 12:20pm. How do we report loss?
Asked by Jannete - Sat, 2 October
Which concourse does southwest airlines use?
Asked by Dee Rouse - Fri, 1 October
Are there baggage carts in the baggage claim area?
Asked by Valerie - Thu, 30 September