Chicago Midway Airport MDW
Midway Airport MDW is the second-largest Airport (after O'Hare) of both the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois - serving Greater Chicago and its surrounding counties. It is located 8 miles from downtown Chicago, Illinois, and borders the suburbs of Burbank & Clearing. The airport is operated by the Chicago Department of Aviation.
Chicago Midway is becoming one of the fastest-growing airports in North America. It is readily accessible from Chicago's center in less than 30 minutes via the Stevenson Expressway.
Airport Stats & Facts
- In 2017, MDW started its $248M upgrade by unveiling 21 new food & retail concessions located in the area where Southwest Airlines dominates.
- In 2018, it was the 27th busiest airport in the US and the 29th busiest in North America, in terms of passenger traffic.
- In 2019, MDW Airport served more than 20 million passengers.
- The Airport has approximately 233 daily direct flights.
- Presently, Midway Airport is the second largest airport in the Chicago metropolitan area.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Airport peak hours are between 5 am & 8:30 am and between 3 pm and 6 pm.
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- To avoid TSA checkpoint delays - check your pockets before getting to the front line and put all items in your carry-on bag!
- Take a few minutes to look at the Midway Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: MDW Arriving Flight Status provides Minneapolis airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: MDW Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and MSP airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Chicago Midway International Airport, compare fares here.
Chicago Midway Airport has one passenger terminal with Concourses A, B, and C and the concourses have 43 aircraft gates.
- Concourse A - 17 gates
- Concourse B - 23 gates
- Concourse C - 3 gates
The Airport serves various airlines including Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and more. View the full list of airlines served at MDW airport.
Short-term and Long-term Parking
Parking at MDW Airport is available onsite. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Midway International Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near Midway Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at MDW. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from the Chicago Midway Airport.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. Most modes of transportation are located at the main entrance area of the terminal. Both Orange Line Trains and CTA buses serve Chicago.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Midway Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoe shine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Arriving passengers can be picked up at the lower level at the outermost curb front.
- Passengers can be dropped off at the curb in front of any concourse. Follow the signs for Departures which lead you to the upper-level roadway.
Address: 5700 South Cicero Ave, Chicago, IL 60638, USA
Phone: (773) 838 0600 or 838 9111
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Midway Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1923, Midway Airport was built on a 320-acre plot and was originally named Chicago Air Park.
- In1927, its name changed to Chicago Municipal Airport and was initially designed to serve airmail services.
- In1928, MDW Airport owned 12 hangars and 4 runaways.
- In 1931, a new passenger terminal was opened.
- In 1982, the city of Chicago purchased Midway Airport from the Chicago Board of Education for $16 million.
- In 2009, a construction project was added to the concourse A.
- In 2018, construction began for the expansion of security checkpoints and the main parking garage.
- Currently, MDW Airport is the second largest airport in the Chicago metropolitan area, serving more than 22 million passengers.
Midway Airport FAQs
Q. Is Midway Airport the same as MDW Airport?
A. Yes. While the official name is Chicago Midway International Airport, it is commonly referred to as Midway Airport, Chicago Midway, and MDW.
Q. How far is the Minneapolis Airport from downtown Chicago?
A. MDW is located 8 miles from both downtown Chicago, Illinois.
Q. Can you sleep in the Minneapolis Airport?
A. Passengers are permitted to sleep in the Midway Airport. It remains open 24 hours a day and visitors can stay airside overnight. We also recommend these awesome Midway layover ideas.
Q. What cities can I fly from Midway?
A. Being one of the busiest airports in the midwest, you can fly to many cities around the world. Check out our direct flights page to see where you can go.
I'm thinking of flying from Austin TX and changing pl [more]tp 09/03/2020
Covid and wheelchairs
I am watching the wheelchairs at Gates 20-25 and NO O [more]CSH 07/14/2020
How much would a flight to Atlanta cost for one passenger
Could you tell me how much it cost to fly to AtlantaTerry 05/22/2020
Need duplicate receipt
how can i get a duplicate receipt. I paid $150 at aro [more]S. Fountoulakis 02/18/2020