Des Moines Airport DSM
Des Moines International Airport is a civil-military airport 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Des Moines, the capital of Iowa. It is owned by the City of Des Moines and operated by Des Moines Airport Authority.
DSM airport covers an area of 2,625 acres (1,062 ha) and has two runways.
Airport Stats & Facts
- For 2017-2021, The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems called it a primary commercial service airport.
- In 2016 a record 2.48 million passengers used the airport, up 5 percent from 2015.
- In 2019, DSM served 2.92 million passengers, a record for the airport.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport terminal is open 24-hours per day. The TSA Security Screening checkpoint opens at 4:00 am.
- Passengers are recommended to arrive at least 2 hours before the scheduled flight departure.
- A photo ID is required for confirmation of electronic tickets. To prove your identity, either a valid driver’s license or a government identification card that includes a photo or a physical description is adequate.
- Electronic Tickets (accompanied by baggage to be checked) require check-in at the ticket counter to receive boarding passes.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- The pickup location at the airport is located curbside at Arrivals near Baggage Claim and near the rental car lot.
- Passengers can be dropped off outside the terminal, and make sure no vehicle is left unattended.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Des Moines Airport.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at DSM here.
Des Moines International Airport has one main Terminal with an upper level, lower level, and two concourses - Concourse A and Concourse C.
Gates A1-A5 are on Concourse A.
Gates C1-C7 are on Concourse C.
For more information about the terminal, please refer to DSM Airport Terminal Map here.
The various airlines served at Des Moines Airport include Allegiant Air, Southwest Airlines, Delta Connection, United Express, and more.
View the full list of airlines served at DSM here.
First 20 minutes: Free
Each Additional 20 minutes: $1
Daily Max: $36
Per Hour: $2
Daily Max: $15
Premium Long-Term Parking
Per 20 minutes: $1
Daily Max: $25
Passengers have multiple ground transportation options after arriving at Des Moines Airport. From buses to rental cars to taxis and more, they can choose according to their travel requirements.
All car rental agencies are inside the terminal in the baggage claim area. Alamo, Avis, Budget, etc. are some of the well-known providers.
Limousines or RideShare
Many DSM Limousine and Ride Share services book and transport groups and individuals to remote cities from DSM Airport. Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are also available.
Bus Transportation includes metro transit, interstate bus lines, and the Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency which provides transportation throughout Polk County as well as the counties directly surrounding the Des Moines/Airport area.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great stay, Des Moines Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 5800 Fleur Dr, Des Moines, IA 50321, USA
Phone: (515) 256 5050
Des Moines Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- Over 80 sites were considered for the Des Moines Airport until a decision was made to build on 160 acres (0.65 km sq.) of farmland south of the city.
- In 1932, construction of the airport began and was completed in 1933.
- The airport's first passenger terminal was built shortly after the airport was completed.
- In 1950, it was replaced and has been renovated many times.
- In 1970, the present concourse was built.
- In2009, interior renovation work began at Des Moines Airport.
- In 2011, the City of Des Moines transferred control from the city to the Des Moines Airport Authority.
Q: Is Des Moines International Airport the same as DSM?
A: Yes. While the official name is Des Moines International Airport, it is also referred to by its IATA code DSM.
Q: What cities can I fly from DSM?
A: You can fly to many cities from DSM Airport. Please have a look at our direct flights page to see where you can fly.
Q: Where are the ATM's located at Des Moines International Airport?
A: There are two ATM machines. One is located in the terminal concourse and the second is at the concourse/gate level.
Q: How do I travel with a pet?
A: All options require advance reservations and are subject to a charge. Contact the airline to make sure your pet can be accepted for travel. Each airline has different policies.
TSA AND CHECK IN
How are the lines doing to check in luggage and TSA LINES?D&G 01/18/2019
How many parking spaces do you have in Des Moines Int'l Airport?
I am doing a research so I would like to know how man [more]Luisa Marcos 12/09/2017
Pets with wheelchair assistsnce
Procedure for person in wheelchair to fly with pet.Tj [more]Wm Ryan 09/25/2017