Daniel K. Inouye International Airport, formerly known as Honolulu International Airport is one of the world’s largest, busiest and most beautiful airports. It is named after the U.S. Senator and Medal of Honor recipient Daniel K. Inouye, who represented Hawaii from 1963 until his death in 2012.
HNL airport is located in the Honolulu census-designated place three miles (5 km) northwest of Honolulu's central business district. The airport covers a total area of 4,220 acres (1,708 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- The airport has four active runways, including the 12,000-foot Reef Runway which was the world’s first major runway built entirely offshore.
- It is one of the 30 busiest airports in the United States.
- Approximately 15k people work at the airport every day and another 20k depend on the airport daily for their livelihood.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Passengers are recommended to arrive at Daniel K. Airport at least three hours prior to overseas flights and two hours before Interisland flights.
- Ticket counters for passenger check-in for all airlines are located on the second level of the Terminals 1 and 2, and the ground level of Terminal 3.
- For any queries at the airport you can go to the visitor information booths, located in gate areas and baggage claim.
- Please refer to HNL Airport Map, before visiting the airport for a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Drivers waiting to pick up arriving passengers may wait in the Cellular Telephone Waiting areas without charge for up to one hour.
- Passengers can be dropped-off outside the terminal from where they’ve to board a flight.
- The Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for Daniel K. Inouye Airport.
- The Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at HNL here.
There are three terminals at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport - Terminal 1, Terminal 2, and Terminal 3.
Formerly known as the Interisland Terminal, Terminal 1 has 13 gates - A13-A20, and B1-B5. All gates in the terminal are used by Hawaiian Airlines and its subsidiary ʻOhana by Hawaiian.
Formerly known as the Overseas Terminal, Terminal 2 has 29 gates - C1-C9, D1-D2, E1-E10, F1-F2, and G1-G10, across three concourses and the main terminal building. All gates in the terminal are designated as common-use, shared among all the airlines.
Formerly known as the Commuter Terminal, Terminal 3 has one ground-level gate - H1.
To see the terminal locations and for more information, please refer to the HNL Terminal Map.
Daniel K. Inouye Airport serves as the principal hub of Hawaiian Airlines, the largest Hawaii-based airline, and is host to major United States and international airlines, with nonstop flights to North American, Asian, and Oceania destinations.
View the full list of airlines served at HNL Airport here.
Terminal 1 Parking Garage
Seven stories tall, Terminal 1 Parking Garage is located adjacent to Terminal 1. It is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is a 30-day parking limit.
Terminal 2 Parking Garage
Five stories tall, Terminal 2 Parking Garage is located directly across from Terminal 2. Walkways are available on the fourth level of the parking garage at both ends and in the middle for passenger access to Terminal 2. Passenger access is also available on the ground level at the same locations.
International Parking Garage
It is located directly across from the International Arrivals Building. Enter the structure from the ground level of the Airport Access Road or from a vehicle bridge on the top level of Terminal 1. The International Parking Garage is eight stories tall.
0-15 Minutes - Free
16-30 Minutes - $1
31-60 Minutes - $2
Passengers have many options for ground transportation after arriving at Honolulu Airport.
On airport rental car offices are located on the ground level of the Terminal 2 Parking Garage except Enterprise which is located on Aolele Street. There are 6 rental car companies at the airport.
Taxi Service is available on the center median fronting the terminal baggage claim areas. AMPCO Express is the managing contractor of the Airport’s Open Taxi System at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport.
The City & County of Honolulu provides an island-wide bus transportation system that serves Daniel K. Inouye Airport. TheBus routes 19, 20, and 31 stop on the upper (departure) level of the airport.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have an amazing stay, Honolulu International Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 300 Rodgers Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96819, USA
Contact: [email protected]
Phone: (808) 836 6413
Daniel K. Inouye Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- The airport opened in March 1927 as John Rodgers Airport.
- In 1947, John Rodgers Airport was renamed Honolulu Airport and "International" was added to the name in 1951.
- From 1970 through 1978, the architect Vladimir Ossipoff designed a terminal modernization project that remodeled this terminal and created several additions.
- In 2011, Hawaiian Airlines renovated the check-in lobby of the Interisland Terminal.
- By 2012, Hawaiian Airlines was re-establishing Honolulu International Airport as a connecting hub between the United States mainland and the Asia-Pacific region.
- During the 2016 legislative session, the Hawaii state legislature passed a resolution requesting the Department of Transportation to rename Honolulu International Airport for the late U.S. senator and Medal of Honor recipient Daniel Inouye.
Maps, Airlines & Amenities
Currency exchange available?
Asked by Esther - Mon, 24 October
We didn't find a currency exchange available at this airport.
Is there a gift shop at this airport?
Asked by Debra - Sat, 8 October
There are several gift shops located throughout the airport.
Can I walk from my inbound Hawaiian Air flight to my connecting American Airlines flight without leaving the TSA Secured area?
Asked by Laura Warrington - Thu, 29 September
Hawaiian Airlines and American Airlines are located in separate terminals so you will probably have to go through security again.
Where is gold alliance lounge?
Asked by David L Enlow - Tue, 27 September
We didn't find a gold alliance lounge at this airport.
How long prior to my flight should I arrive at Hawaiian Airlines at 6 pm on Saturday?
Asked by Sally A Nespor - Fri, 16 September
It is recommended to arrive 2 hours prior to your take-off time.
What gates does Southwest Airlines use?
Asked by Cary Nederhouser - Fri, 9 September
Southwest Airlines uses Lobby 7, Terminal 2.
Are there porters for baggage at check in Hawaiian Airlines?
Asked by Mike - Tue, 16 August
There are porters available for any travelers with disabilities that need assistance. This service will need to be set up with your airlines before you arrive.
Where is baggage claim in reference to taxi pick up?
Asked by Carol Stroble - Mon, 15 August
The baggage claims in Terminals 1 and 2 are close to the taxi pick-up area.
Can I get free parking if I am 100% disability from the VA?
Asked by David F Gogue - Thu, 11 August
We didn't find any different pricing available for parking.
How do I speak with someone in the United baggage claim office?
Asked by Lauren - Thu, 28 July
You can contact United Airlines at 1-800-864-8331.
Where are TSA stations at Hawk Airlines?
Asked by Robert Muronaka - Fri, 8 July
The TSA station is located near the Administration Building.
Where is lost luggage office for Hawaiian Airlines?
Asked by George - Sun, 22 May
How long a walk is it from check in to United gates?
Asked by Pamela A Torres - Tue, 10 May
You will go to the second level of Terminal 2 and Lobby 8 to check in and all of the United Flights will fly out of that Terminal.
What gate is Mokulele Airline in the main terminal?
Asked by doug behl - Fri, 6 May
Please contact your airline directly about your gate number. Gates can change from day to day.
Directions from Southwest incoming flight to Dollar rental car service?
Asked by Debra - Sun, 1 May
Exit the baggage claim and proceed to the center median, following the blue Rental Car Center Shuttle signs. Then you can board the Rental Car Center Shuttle, which will take you to Dollar.
Where is the Alaska Air Departure?
Asked by S.M.P.FERNANDO - Sat, 9 April
Alaska Airlines operates out of Terminal 2 at this airport.
Is there a place to store luggage before checking in for a flight?
Asked by Melissa - Thu, 10 March
Yes, baggage storage is offered! Their Baggage Storage attended facilities are on the arrivals level of Baggage Claim E. They should be easy to find.
Flying out of HNL on March 5th 2022 to ATL how long is wait times for covid testing and TSA check points expected to be needed to make flight?
Asked by Scott - Sat, 5 March
What terminal is baggage claim for Alaska Airlines flight from SFO?
Asked by Geri Herbert - Thu, 3 March
The baggage claim for Alaska Airlines is located at the ground level of the Central Concourse.
Are the rental car’s available at airport or do you shuttle some where else?
Asked by Deana - Tue, 1 March
The Consolidated Rent-A-Car (CONRAC) at the airport has all of the car rental companies. It is located directly across from Terminal 2, outside of Baggage Claims 26 and 31. If you arriving domestically at Terminal 2, you can easily walk there. If you are arriving at Terminal 1 or Terminal 2 International Arrivals you can go to the designated rental car shuttle pick up points to be taken to the facility.
I did not receive a baggage with very important items for my time in Hawaii.
Asked by Eduardo Reiche Losonczi - Sun, 27 February
Please contact your airline directly for any baggage issues. Good luck!
Delayed baggage should be delivered via Air Canada AC519 yesterday evening. When does it be delivered to final address in Wahiawa?
Asked by werner - Thu, 24 February
Where do I file a damage baggage claim?
Asked by Dawn - Wed, 16 February
Please contact your airline about any damaged luggage you may have experienced.