IGI is owned and operated by the GMR Group (which also owns & oprates Hyderaba Airport).
The Airport is located in South-West Delhi, 16 km from central New Delhi, a mega-city in the center of northern India, and is connected to the city by:
- the Northern Access Road, Central Spine and new tunnel between Terminals T1D & T3, and
- the Delhi Airport Metro Express train, a 22.7 km line running between New Delhi Station and the T3. (T3 has an 8-lane approach road and high-speed rail link to city center.)
With three very long runways and serving 55.6 million passengers in 2016, Indira Gandhi International Airport is hub to a number of airlines, including Air India, and is served by a host of domestic and international airlines, offering regular and low-cost, direct & connecting flights to all points of the globe.
NOTE: Rs 500 & Rs 1,000 currency notes are no longer accepted for payment at the Airport!
- For resevations for the Plaza Premium Lounge open: http://www.newdelhiairport.in/plaza-premium-lounge.aspx
- As the Airport is still making improvements as part of its mega-overhaul project, it is important to note that many changes have, and will happen until completion. Therefore it is wise to check with your airline as to which terminal & gate you will arrive at or depart from.
- IGI Airport implemented measures to address fog-related flight diversions. It also has a plan in place on dealing with stranded passengers resulting from flight diversions.
- IGI Airport's aims for 95 percent of passengers at Terminal 3 to take 45 minutes between debarking & exiting the terminal.
- At Terminl 3, waiting time a customs, immigration or security check will mostly take 10 minutes only.
- E-Shopping: DIAL launched in Dec. 2016 a so-called 'e-shopping platform, allowing passengers to pre-order merchandize from retail stores at domestic departures of both Terminals 1 & 3. Passengers need to register at shopflydel.in with name, e-mail address & mobile number, and will then be able to pay for their chosen items 30 days up to 12 hours prior to flight departure.
- CITY CHECK-IN: Air India passengers may now check in for both its domestic & international flights at the New Delhi Metro Station's 'Airport Express line' and getting their boarding pass. It also provides flight information, excess baggage handling and new ticketing counters. While check-in counters remain open 4am-11:30pm, the flight check-in facilities close two hours prior to each scheduled departure flight.
HOTELS & resting facilities on or close to Airport grounds:
- At Terminal 3:
- Snooze cabins are available at the international departure pier, opposite of boarding gate 17.
- New Delhi Transit Hotel at level 5 is divided into International & Domestic Wings. However, both international & domestic arrivals transfering through T3 to their connecting flight may only access the Domestic Wing. Rooms include high-speed WiFi & LCD TV. Aqua Pods privide privateshower rooms, while the lobby level of both wings offer the 'T Lounge' with an all-day menu. Other amenities include a fitness center, spa, and 'E Point' with internet, computer & printer. For reservations open firstname.lastname@example.org or call +91-11-45252000.
- Close to all Terminals: The100-room Eaton Smart transit hotel.
- Within 3km from Terminal 3, there are 11 new hotels with varied pricing & amenities available .
- At Hospitality District: five-star hotels Radisson & Centaur; and lower-priced 'Ibis Hotel', to open soon.
Indira Gandhi International Airport has two passenger terminals - domestic T1 & new international T3 (and T2 by Oct. 2017). For Terminal details at this site open ‘Terminal Map’ and scroll down to the text; for ground transportation open ‘Ground Transportation: /Buses & Trains.
NOTE: As current Terminal 1 is exceeding its capacity - the following measures have recently been taken:
- Ongoing construction on a new terminal intended for charter flights - with parking bays for private jets to ease congestion - is to be completed by 2020. Meanwhile:
- In June 2017 it was announced that 'most of the flights (under the RCS Scheme) will operate by Oct. 2017 from the currently unused, but renovated T2 - while Indigo , SpiceJet & GoAir will move in sooner. To break the airline deadlock, on June 16, 2017 low-cost airlines were given a 1-month time to mutually decide on who is to shift operations to T2 - failing to comply, the Airport operator will make its decision.
- (no news for July 2017).
Top 10 Best Places to visit in December in India 2020
There are so many Best places to visit in December wi [more]Shubham 05/17/2020
Lost iPhone 8 Plus
I was traveling to Delhi to Sweden( via Istanbul) wit [more]Namdeo 03/01/2020
Left My package at gate 31-32 sitting area on terminal 3
i was travelling from Delhi to Chennai on 20 feb 2020 [more]Pragya 02/20/2020
Lost hand baggage on boarding gate 42A
I left my hand baggage black rukseck American Tourist [more]Gaurav Sahni 12/31/2019