SJC airport is also known as Norman Y. Mineta San Jose Airport and Silicon Valley Airport. It is set in the heart of Silicon Valley only 3.9 miles from downtown San Jose. It is one of the main airports that serve the San Francisco Bay region. The international Airport is owned & operated by the City of San Jose. SJC is the Airport Code
The airport is named after the former US Transport Secretary Norman Mineta. It serves the region of Silicon Valley and Santa Clara County, making it the second-busiest airport regarding boarding passengers in the Bay Area. Serving over 10 million flyers per year, San Jose airport covers 1,050 acres, thereby offering a broad assortment of amenities.
Airport Stats and Facts
- SJC airport serves an average of 170 commercial and 50 general aviation departures every day.
- In 2018, San Jose airport recorded 14 million passengers across 197,000 aircraft operations.
- Since 2007, SJC has won 10 awards.
- In 2018, it is recognized by USA Today's 10 Best Readers' Choice Awards for providing the “Best Airport Amenities.”
- The airport has completed $8 million upgrades to the international arrivals terminal.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Busiest times are weekday mornings (5 a.m. 9 a.m.) and holidays Friday and Sunday evenings (5 p.m. - 8 p.m.).
- Take into account TSA security wait times and flight delays when planning your arrival to San Jose airport.
- Arrive two hours before the scheduled departure for domestic flights and three hours for international flights.
- See the SJC Airport map to orient yourself before heading for a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Departing passengers should be dropped off on the right-hand side of the roadway.
- Arriving passengers should be picked up by the Terminal A Parking Garage.
- Greeters may also park in the Express parking or within the Baggage Claim area to meet passengers.
International Arrivals Terminal
- Departing passengers should be dropped off at the airline terminal.
- Arriving passengers should be picked up in the front side of the International Arrivals Building.
- Greeters may park in Lot 2 to meet the passengers at the International Arrivals Building.
- Arriving and departing passengers should be picked up and dropped- off on the right side of the roadway.
- Greeters and meeters can use 1-hr parking spaces in Lot 5.
For arriving flights: SJC Arriving Flight Status provides arrival times, landing time, delays, and gate details.
For departing flights: SJC Departing Flight Status shows map tracking, actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, and Orlando International Airport gate information.
To get the best prices, book a Flight at SJC.
SJC consists of two terminals: Terminal A and Terminal B, and they are linked to each other. Refer to the SJC Airport terminal map to see the locations and additional information.
All international departures and domestic arrivals and departures are held in terminal A.
SJC airport terminal A consists of three levels:
- First floor – International arrivals area.
- Second floor - Security checkpoint and boarding area.
- Third floor - The Club lounge.
San Jose airport terminal B serves both international and domestic flights.
Terminal B is split into two levels:
- First level –Baggage claim area.
- Second level - Checkpoint and boarding area.
Mineta San Jose Airport is served by Delta Airlines, SouthWest Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, etc. However, SJC airport focuses on Alaska and Southwest Airlines. See the full list of airlines served at San Jose Airport to help get oriented with the airport terminals.
Short-term and Long-term Parking: There are nearly 7 accessible parking lots which offer short-term and long-term parking for SJC airport. Every parking lot is available on-site:
- Economy Lot 1 – Rate $18 Flat (daily)
- Hourly Lot 2/Terminal A Garage – Rate $2 per 20 minutes (First day only) and $ 24 Flat (daily)
- Hourly Lot 3/Terminal B Garage – Rate $2 per 20 minutes and $28 Flat (daily)
- Daily Lot 4 – Rate $2 per 20 minutes (First day only) and $30 Flat (daily)
- Hourly Lot 5 – Rate $2 per 20 minutes (First day only) and$30 Flat (daily)
- Daily Lot 6 – Rate $2 per 20 minutes (First day only) and$30 Flat (daily)
If you need to pick up, park free at the Quick Cell Phone waiting area on Airport Parkway. For short-term parking, use one of three hourly parking lots at San Jose Airport. However, if you are looking for long-term parking, move to daily lots 4 and 6. Those who want to leave their cars for several weeks should head to the economy lot.
Note: There is also Handicap/ADA accessible parking located in Lot 2 and 3. Also, there are free electric charging stations in Lot 5 with paid parking.
Off-site Parking: There are also several off-site parking near the SJC airport. Airport parking companies near the airport include Park ‘N Travel, Fly N Save, EZ ParkFly, etc.
Several transportation options are available to get to and from San Jose airport.
SJC Airport Car Rental: Rental car center is located across terminal B. It is accessible by crosswalks outside the baggage claim of terminal B or blue shuttle bus at terminal A. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, National, Budget, Enterprise, etc.
SJC Airport Shuttle: There is a free airport shuttle transport # 10 ‘VTA flyer’ that connects to the Light Rail station downtown. Travel time can take about 45 minutes.
Inter-terminal Shuttle: Inter-terminal shuttle operates in the circuit between terminals A and B. It runs every 7 to 10 minutes from 2:30 AM to 1:00 AM.
Hotel Shuttles: Some hotels offer airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests.
Shared-Ride Shuttles: Few agencies also offer on-demand door-to-door shared-ride shuttle service to and from San Jose airport. Shared-ride stops are on a lower level of terminal A parking garage and Ground transportation center across the stress from terminal B baggage claim site.
Buses and Trains: Trains and buses regularly operate from destinations around the airport to destinations within Santa Clara County and Amtrak.
Amenities and Services at San Jose International Airport
Compared to other airports, there are many amenities at SJC:
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars
- Nursing and restrooms
- Massage chairs
- Pet relief areas
- Therapy animals
- Free water stations
- Children’s play areas
- Information desk
- Baggage carts
- Power outlets
- Multilingual currency exchange
- Disabled facilities
SJC airport is owned and operated by the City of San Jose.
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
San Jose Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- Mineta San Jose Airport has a rich history. The idea of San Jose airport first came up in the year 1940s. It was first conceived by a local government committee and Ernie Renzel.
- Due to aviation restrictions during WW2, the airport was not built till 1945.
- A few years later in 1948, the first commercial aircraft service started with Southwest Airways DC-3.
- San Jose Municipal Airport opened its terminal C in 1965. The main aim was to lure national airlines to place both airport and city on the map.
- In early 1970, SJ speedily turned to a technology hub operated by Norman Y. Mineta.
- In 1980, terminal A construction started to add more capacity for passengers and airlines.
- In 1990, terminal A opened to accommodate 6 million passengers in a year.
- 1n 2000, passenger traffic hit 14.2 million passengers per year during the Silicon Valley dot.com hike.
- In 2001, the City Council named the airport to Norman Y. Mineta San Jose Airport in the honor of the former mayor.
- In 2010, terminal C was demolished for more parking space for terminal B.
- In 2011, Final elements of the terminal area improvement program finished with the opening of new daily, hourly and Economy parking lots.
- In 2019, SJC airport celebrated its 70th Birthday.
San Jose Mineta Airport Q&A
Our plane boards at 7:05 Sunday morning. How much time should we allot for the security checkpoint line?
By barbara - Saturday, 2 October, 2021, 6:50 PM
Answered By: iFly Staff
Was this answer helpful?
Where is terminal B Hawaii safe travel desk?
By Ted - Sunday, 10 October, 2021, 11:40 AM
Answered By: iFly Staff
Was this answer helpful?