Overview of Airport
SJC Airport is also known by the names Norman Y. Mineta San Jose Airport or Silicon Valley Airport. It is located in Silicon Valley, just 3.9 miles from San Jose. It is the main airport serving the San Francisco Bay area. The City of San Jose owns and operates the international airport. SJC is the airport code.
Named after Norman Mineta, the former US Transport Secretary, the airport was opened in 1981. It is the second busiest airport in the Bay Area for passengers. San Jose Airport covers 1,050 acres and serves more than 10 million passengers annually. It also offers a wide range of amenities.
More detailed information about the airport can be found below.
Statistics and facts about SJC
- SJC airport handles an average of 170 and 50 general aviation departures each day.
- San Jose Airport saw 15 million passengers in 2019 (before Covid), with 200,000 aircraft operations.
- SJC has received 10 awards since 2007.
- It was awarded the Best Airport Amenities Award by USA Today in 2018.
- The $8 million upgrade to the International Arrivals Terminal at the airport was completed.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Busiest times are weekday mornings (5 a.m. 9 a.m.) and holidays Friday and Sunday evenings (5 p.m. - 8 p.m.).
- Take into account TSA security wait times and flight delays when planning your arrival to San Jose airport.
- Arrive two hours before the scheduled departure for domestic flights and three hours for international flights.
- See the SJC Airport map to orient yourself before heading for a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Departing passengers should be dropped off on the right-hand side of the roadway.
- Arriving passengers should be picked up by the Terminal A Parking Garage.
- Greeters may also park in the Express parking or within the Baggage Claim area to meet passengers.
International Arrivals Terminal
- Departing passengers should be dropped off at the airline terminal.
- Arriving passengers should be picked up in the front side of the International Arrivals Building.
- Greeters may park in Lot 2 to meet the passengers at the International Arrivals Building.
- Arriving and departing passengers should be picked up and dropped- off on the right side of the roadway.
- Greeters and meeters can use 1-hr parking spaces in Lot 5.
For arriving flights: SJC Arriving Flight Status provides arrival times, landing time, delays, and gate details.
For departing flights: SJC Departing Flight Status shows map tracking, actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, and Orlando International Airport gate information.
To get the best prices, book a Flight at SJC.
SJC consists of two terminals: Terminal A and Terminal B, and they are linked to each other. Refer to the SJC Airport terminal map to see the locations and additional information.
All international departures and domestic arrivals and departures are held in terminal A.
SJC airport terminal A consists of three levels:
- First floor – International arrivals area.
- Second floor - Security checkpoint and boarding area.
- Third floor - The Club lounge.
San Jose airport terminal B serves both international and domestic flights.
Terminal B is split into two levels:
- First level –Baggage claim area.
- Second level - Checkpoint and boarding area.
Mineta San Jose Airport is served by Delta Airlines, SouthWest Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, etc. However, SJC airport focuses on Alaska and Southwest Airlines. See the full list of airlines served at San Jose Airport to help get oriented with the airport terminals.
Short-term and Long-term Parking: There are nearly 7 accessible parking lots which offer short-term and long-term parking for SJC airport. Every parking lot is available on-site:
- Economy Lot 1 – Rate $18 Flat (daily)
- Hourly Lot 2/Terminal A Garage – Rate $2 per 20 minutes (First day only) and $ 24 Flat (daily)
- Hourly Lot 3/Terminal B Garage – Rate $2 per 20 minutes and $28 Flat (daily)
- Daily Lot 4 – Rate $2 per 20 minutes (First day only) and $30 Flat (daily)
- Hourly Lot 5 – Rate $2 per 20 minutes (First day only) and$30 Flat (daily)
- Daily Lot 6 – Rate $2 per 20 minutes (First day only) and$30 Flat (daily)
If you need to pick up, park free at the Quick Cell Phone waiting area on Airport Parkway. For short-term parking, use one of three hourly parking lots at San Jose Airport. However, if you are looking for long-term parking, move to daily lots 4 and 6. Those who want to leave their cars for several weeks should head to the economy lot.
Note: There is also Handicap/ADA accessible parking located in Lot 2 and 3. Also, there are free electric charging stations in Lot 5 with paid parking.
Off-site Parking: There are also several off-site parking near the SJC airport. Airport parking companies near the airport include Park ‘N Travel, Fly N Save, EZ ParkFly, etc.
There are many transportation options to get from San Jose Airport to San Jose.
SJC Airport Car Rental: The rental car center is located in terminal B. You can access it by crossing the street outside of the baggage claim at terminal B, or by taking the blue shuttle bus from terminal A.
SJC Airport Shuttle: The airport shuttle #10 'VTA flyer’ connects to the Light Rail Station downtown. It takes approximately 45 minutes to travel.
Inter-terminal Shuttle - The inter-terminal shuttle runs in the circuit between terminals B and A. It operates every 7-10 minutes between 2:30 AM and 1:00 AM.
Hotel shuttles: As a courtesy, some hotels offer airport transportation services.
Shared-Ride Shuttles - Few agencies offer a door-to-door, on-demand shared-ride service from San Jose airport. The shared-ride stops can be found on the lower level of the terminal A parking garage or at the Ground transportation center, which is located across from the terminal B baggage claim area.
Buses and Trains - Regularly, buses and trains run from the airport to Santa Clara County and Amtrak destinations.
Food, Shopping & Services
SJC AIrport provides a host of dining, shopping and amenity options, located throughout the terminals.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars
- Nursing and restrooms
- Massage chairs
- Pet relief areas
- Therapy animals
- Free water stations
- Children’s play areas
- Information desk
- Baggage carts
- Power outlets
- Multilingual currency exchange
- Disabled facilities
SJC airport is owned and operated by the City of San Jose.
Address: 1701 Airport Blvd, San Jose, CA 95110, United States
Phone: +1 408-392-3600
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
San Jose Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- Mineta San Jose Airport is rich in history. In the 1940s, San Jose's first airport was proposed. Ernie Renzel and a committee of local governments first proposed it.
- The airport wasn't built until 1945 due to restrictions on aviation during WW2.
- Southwest Airways DC-3 was the first commercial airline service, which began in 1948.
- In 1965, San Jose Municipal Airport's terminal C was opened. It was designed to attract national airlines and place the airport and its city on the maps.
- SJ quickly became a hub for technology in 1970 under the leadership of Norman Y. Mineta.
- The construction of terminal A began in 1980 to provide more space for airlines and passengers.
- Terminal A was opened in 1990 to hold 6,000,000 passengers per year.
- During the dot.com boom in Silicon Valley, passengers travelled 14.2 millions per year between 2000 and 2000.
- The airport was named Norman Y. Mineta San José Airport by the City Council in 2001.
- Terminal C was destroyed in 2010 to make way for additional parking spaces for terminal B.
- 2011 saw the final elements of the Terminal Area Improvement Program completed with the opening new Economy, Daily and Hourly parking lots.
- SJC Airport will celebrate its 75th birthday in 2023.
What is the height of the Economy/long term parking garage. Need to check if our Ford F250 heavy duty truck will fit in. It does not have a lift.
Asked by Kim - Sun, 2 October
The vehicle clearance is 8'2'' at this parking garage.
How to pay parking for handicap parking?
Asked by Yvonne - Fri, 30 September
Handicap parking is available in all lots and can be reserved online before you arrive or when you are leaving. You can call (408) 441-5570 with any further questions.
Where do you access wheelchairs?
Asked by Judy O'Brien - Wed, 28 September
Wheelchairs can be provided by prearranging with your airlines before you arrive, or you can use one of the Airport Courtesy Phones located throughout the airport to contact your airlines for wheelchair service.
Where is door to door Shuttle service located for Terminal B?
Asked by Kris - Sun, 11 September
The shuttle makes multiple stops in each Terminal. There are signs showing where the stops are located.
What is the vehicle clearance for access to passenger pickup?
Asked by Mr T - Mon, 5 September
The vehicle clearance is 8'2'' at this parking garage.
Can one walk from Terminal B to Terminal A?
Asked by Barbara - Wed, 3 August
Yes, you can walk from Terminal B to Terminal A.
Alaska airlines gate to South West gate
Asked by Sylvia Falkner - Mon, 1 August
Alaska Airlines and Southwest Airlines are both located in Terminal B.
Does Alaska airline and southwest share the same baggage claim terminal in the San Jose airport (SJC)?
Asked by christie - Sun, 31 July
Yes, they would both use Terminal B Baggage Claim.
Where is the best parking option to pick up passengers arriving on Southwest Airlines?
Asked by Debbie Smith - Sun, 31 July
Parking Lot 3 or 5 would be the closest lots to park in for Southwest Airlines.
How do I get from Terminal B to Terminal A?
Asked by Jay - Mon, 11 July
The Terminals are connected so you can walk from one to the other.
Is there foreign exchange at this airport?
Asked by francisco flores - Mon, 16 May
From our knowledge, currency exchange is not currently offered at this airport. We suggest going to a bank prior to departure.
Directions to the airport?
Asked by KP - Sat, 14 May
We suggest putting this address into your GPS: 1701 Airport Blvd, San Jose, CA 95110.
Does Jetblue fly out of this airport?
Asked by Claire - Sat, 7 May
Yes, Jetblue flies in and out of this airport and operates out of Terminal A.
If I'm flying Southwest out of gate 23, which parking lot is closest?
Asked by Bob Borzone - Fri, 29 April
Parking lots 3, 4, or 5 would be closest to Gate 23.
Is there a place to exchange foreign currency?
Asked by Lori - Thu, 14 April
There is currently no currency exchange at this airport.
What Terminal does Skywest use?
Asked by JOHN THOMPSON - Wed, 16 March
Skywest does not seem to be an airline that operates out of this airport.
What terminal is Skywest in?
Asked by JOHN THOMPSON - Tue, 15 March
Skywest does not operate out of this airport.
How do I get baggage delivers to my house?
Asked by Tina Levenfeld - Sat, 5 March
You have to coordinate any delivery of lost or delayed luggage with your airline directly. Good luck!
Where is curbside pickup for arriving passengers at Terminal B?
Asked by John M - Fri, 4 March
If you are picking up people from the airport, use the Cell Phone Lot Waiting Area, located just off the airport on 94th Street between 23rd Ave and Ditmars Blvd. Then, once your passengers have arrived and collected their baggage, you can pull up to the Arrivals level of Terminal B.
How do I get to the lounge in terminal A from my southwest gate in terminal B?
Asked by Gala - Thu, 3 March
You can easily walk between Terminals A and B allow for about 10 minutes.
Can i smoke inside San Jose Mineta Airport?
Asked by Snehil - Sat, 26 February
No, smoking is banned inside the terminals of the airport.
Is there a Cellphone Lot?
Asked by Nile - Thu, 24 February
There are two: Waiting Area 1 is located on Airport Parkway, and Waiting Area 2 is on Airport Boulevard. You must remain in your vehicle.
Is Currency exchange available?
Asked by Jjlian - Fri, 18 February
Yes, Foreign Currency Exchange is available at the International building, post-security departures area across from gate 15, and at Terminal A at baggage claim.
What terminal does JetBlue airlines use?
Asked by John - Tue, 15 February
JetBlue airlines uses Terminal A, typically with gates 15-28.
How do I reserve parking online?
Asked by Neil P. - Mon, 31 January
What is the cost for parking at the airport?
Asked by connie Johnson - Wed, 26 January
Parking at varies considerably, from $7/day for the offsite lot, to $30 (max) at garages 2 and 3. Alternatively, there are private off-airport lots that can be considerably cheaper.
Is the drop off area for United departures covered?
Asked by Randy - Sun, 23 January
For United passenger drop-off, use Terminal B, departures area (curbside to the terminal, outside the ticketing counters).
Left a carry on suit case at baggage claim
Asked by Victor Espinoza - Sat, 15 January
For items left at baggage claim of lost in the airport's terminals, you may submit a form and will receive a response from airport staff.
All lost items are taken to the Lost & Found center between Terminals A & B. They are open M-F, 8-5.
Where is the baggage claim for delta airlines?
Asked by Sonja Krejci - Tue, 11 January
Delta's baggage claim is located in Terminal A. Follow signs after walking through security, cross over the walking bridge, and down to the lower level. Check the electronic flight information boards to see which carousel your bags are arriving to.
Are Terminal A and B connected or do you have to clear security at each terminal in order to access?
Asked by Jeff - Mon, 6 December
Terminal A and B at SJC are connected. You can either walk between the terminals (past security), or walk along the sidewalk (pre-security)
Where is Alaska Airlines located in Terminal B?
Asked by buz - Mon, 6 December
Alaska Airlines typically usesboth terminal A and B, depending on departure destination.
Where is terminal B Hawaii safe travel desk?
Asked by Ted - Sun, 10 October
Our plane boards at 7:05 Sunday morning. How much time should we allot for the security checkpoint line?
Asked by barbara - Sat, 2 October