The Airport is located in Embacasi, a suburb south-east of Nairobi, and is 18 km east of the central district of Nairobi. The Mombasa Highway A104 runs adjacent to the airport, and is the main route of access between Nairobi and the Airport.
With a long runway, and 7 million passengers in 2016 Jomo Kenyatta International Airport is hub to carrier Kenya Airways (KQ) and is host to a myriad of domestic & international airlines serving it with a multitude of direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
The closest Hotel to the Airport is the 'Airport View Plaza Hotel - 5 minutes from the Airport (no shuttles provided.)
- Visa: Visa applications can be done online. If not done online, be sure you have already obtained your visa application and filled it out. The E-Visa portal's website is: www.evisa.go.ke. Approval is done in real-time. Passport photos can either be scanned or taken by mobile phone (the system can resize it to fit size requirements); payment is accepted in US dollars. - saving time. To print one out, open: www.magicalkenya.com & click on: Plan Your Trip, then click on Visa and Immigration). Have both vaccination record & passport at ready to present; you also will need a pen to complete a form you get, & cash. If you need a visa, you can also buy it at the Airport, it’s faster than standing with a ready visa in line. Tip: To avoid standing in a long line at Customs & Kenya visa desk, try to get to other customs & visa desks located at the end of the hallway, either to the right or left of it (on your way you'll pass Kenya Airways lounge, prayer room, the health offices. (For more information open: www.immigration.go.ke)
- Vaccinations: International travelers need to get vaccinations (visit health.go.ke).
- Arrive at the Airport two hours prior to international flight. Regional airlines, especially Precision Air, regularly assign passengers to a later flight - therefore, be at the gate early to insure your scheduled departure.
- Self-check-in kiosks with boarding pass printout capacity are currently only available to passengers of Kenya Airways, South African Airways & KLM - distributed within the departure hall.
- Note that there may be still lack of abundant food & drink choices and those available close early. Free WyFi is available.
- Security: Unlike at other airports, JKIA already provides for a checkpoint on the mainroad into the airport with large scanning machines for people & vehicles - followed by another 3 checkpoints with heavily armed police officers stationed before passengers even enter their terminal.
Kenyatta Interntional Airport has two terminals: T1 with sub-terminals T1A through T1E., the main terminal and T2, the low-cost-airline terminal. (Terminal 1's sub-terminals T1A - T1E separate arriving and departing passengers - thereby elevating JKIA to interntional aviation standards:
- T1A houses arrivals & departures at separate areas. With a capacity of 2.5M passengers a year and 3 levels, T1A is currently served by Kenya Airways and all members of Sky Team Alliance. T1A houses 30 check-in counters,12 departure gates, ample seating and food & retail options.. Its Arrivals area houses 5 baggage carrousels,handling up to 640 bags per hour.
T1A offers parking facilities, duty-free shops, food court and more. It offers a spacious baggage claim, new imigration desks, and airline agent desks, spacious terminal walkway, glass-enclosed boarding gates, immigration desk and baggage carousels.
- T1B houses common-use check-in counters, with security check points leading to the departure lounge on level 1. Airline Lounges: Aspire Lounge at airside, opposite gate 10, open 24 hours; pa at door $30.
- T1C houses common-use check-in counters, with security check points leading to the departure lounge on level 1.
- T1D serves domestic flights. Current airlines at T1D: Kenya Airways & Jambo Jet.
- T1E houses arrivals & departures in separate areas. With a capacity of 2.5M passengers a year and 3 levels, T1E is currently served by non-affiliated airlines of Kenya Airways. T1E's amenities and services are similar to T1A. T1E offers the Turkish Airlines Star Alliance Lounge at T1E, airside, Departure, Transit Area, open 24 hours.
NOTE: Remodeling & extending T1B, T1C & T1D started Spring 2017 - and should enable JKIA to handle 12M passengers.
Note: The final additions to Terminal 2 included a railway terminal & a bus park.
Important telephone contacts:
British Airways: 020327400 or 0722509747
Egypt Air: 0788343359
Kenya Airways: +254706999999, +254734104747, +254711024747
Kenya Aerotech: 020827131
Swissport: 0208223191 or 0728804088
Present and future Airport Developments: The 'Vision 30' Project includes new Terminals 2 & 3:
- Construction on a new 18,000 ft long runway is to be completed December 2017.
- Construction of Kenya’s first elevated highway - connecting Jomo Kenyatta Airport through Nairobi to Nakuru: The new road will include special features (a dedicated lane for well-organized, large-capacity buses under the bus rapid transit (BRT) plan - aimed at improving public commuter service and easing congestion
- A second runway at the Airport is to eable Kenyatta Airport planes to avoid queuing before takeoff.
Embacasi, Nairobi, 190870-005
Phone: +254 20 822111 /fax 82230
Hi I am travelling nyc - nbo - entebbe with kenya air [more]Beatriz 03/04/2020
Terminal 1E to Terminal 1A
I am flying into Nairobi, Kenya (NBO) on June 16th. [more]Vardb3 06/04/2019
connecting flights Kenya airways to kenya airways in Nairobi
Hi I am Kenya Airlines from Cape Town through Nairob [more]gt 05/18/2019
we are flying into Nairobi on KA and then changing pl [more]karim 04/25/2019