Sacramento International Airport is a public Airport in the United States. It is run by the Sacramento County Airport System, and serves California's capital city of Sacramento and its Central Valley and is situated directly between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe (90 miles each), and 50 miles from Napa.
SMF airport is located 10 miles (16 km) northwest of downtown Sacramento, the capital of the state, in Sacramento County, California, United States. More information about the airport can be found below.
Airport Stats & Facts
- In 2008, the Sacramento County Airport System broke ground on the largest capital improvement project in the history of the County of Sacramento: "The Big Build".
- In 2020, Sacramento Airport served more than 5 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- To account for any possible delays, show up at least 2 hours early for the scheduled flight departure.
- Don’t forget to print your boarding pass the night before and contact your airline with any questions or concerns. Also, visit the SMF Airport map before heading to the airport.
- In order to travel hassle-free, all passengers 18 years of age and older must show valid identification at authorized checkpoints.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be dropped-off outside the terminal building.
- For picking up passengers, SMF has a free waiting area located near the west economy parking lot. Instead of circling the airport, visitors may wait here until they receive a call for pick up.
- Visitors must stay with their vehicles at all times and are permitted to wait for up to 3 hours.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Sacramento SMF Airport.
- For departing flights: At Departing flight status you can have a look at the scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- For the best deals, book a flight at SMF.
Sacramento International Airport has two terminals - Terminal A and Terminal B, with 32 gates, 19 in terminal B and 13 in terminal A.
Opened in 1988, Air Canada, American, Delta, and United operate out of the thirteen gates in Terminal A.
Terminal B was built in 1967 as the main terminal building for the new Sacramento Metropolitan Airport. Dreyfuss + Blackford, the original architects, also designed a renovation and expansion completed in 1999.
For more information, please refer to the SMF Airport Terminal Map here.
The various airlines served at Sacramento International include Southwest Airlines, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, and more.
View the full list of airlines served at SMF here.
The Hourly Parking Lot is closest to Terminal B. It is designed for short stays.
$2 per 1/2 hour for each half-hour or part thereof.
Maximum - $29/day.
It is the covered parking for Terminals A & B is available in the garage.
$2 per 1/2 hour for each half hour or part thereof.
To travel from SMF Airport, passengers have a variety of options including public and private for ground transportation after arriving at the airport.
All rental car companies at Sacramento Airport are located at the rental car terminal on airport property. The on-airport rental car shuttle arrives at designated stops on ground level curbs outside both terminals approximately every 10 minutes.
On-demand taxi service is provided by the Sacramento Independent Taxi Owners Association (SITOA) by contract. This contract ensures the availability of cars and the quality of equipment and service provided.
SacRT's Route 142 runs an express bus service from the airport to downtown Sacramento. The airport express shuttle bus runs every 20/30 minutes, 7 days a week combined with Yolobus Routes 42A and 42B.
Amenities & Services
Sacramento International Airport provides plenty of amenities and services for visitors to have a great time at the airport.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 6900 Airport Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95837, USA
Contact: [email protected]/sacramento.aero/smf/contact
Phone: (916) 929 5411
Sacramento Airport SMF: A Brief History Timeline
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF) opened October 21, 1967 as Sacramento Metropolitan Airport (the airfield itself was Sacramento Metropolitan Field), with one 8600-foot runway.
- Between 1990 and 2007 Sacramento International Airport had a high incidence of bird strikes, being in an avian migratory route.
- On September 23, 2004, The Terminal A Parking Garage opened.
- On June 5, 2008 US Airways began seasonal flights to Charlotte and Philadelphia.
- On July 6, 2013 the airport was one of ten airports that hosted flights diverted from San Francisco International Airport after Asiana Airlines Flight 214 crashed short of the runway.
- In 2018 Southwest added nonstop service to Austin, New Orleans, Orlando, San Jose del Cabo, and St. Louis.
- 2020 Master Plan: A future project is planning for 13 more new gates adding and expanding to both existing Terminals.
- The plan is 10 or 12 more new gates to Terminal B and 1 or 3 more new gates to Terminal A or a new Terminal C of 12 gates.
Is there a US bank ATM available?
Asked by Angelique Vault - Fri, 28 October
There are ATMs located in the airport but it isn't specified which bank owns them.
Parking for disabled person?
Asked by Barbara - Wed, 19 October
There are designated disabled parking spaces available in most of the parking areas as well as a shuttle bus to get from parking to the airport.
How do I get from Terminal A to B?
Asked by Barbara E Hynes - Wed, 21 September
There is a shuttle bus available to get from Terminal A to Terminal B.
Can I walk to Terminal B from the Avis return lot?
Asked by Barbara Yee - Sat, 17 September
Yes, you can walk from Terminal B to the Avis return lot.
Where is American check-in counter located?
Asked by Lelie - Fri, 16 September
American Airlines is located in Terminal A.
Is there a shuttle between Terminal A to Terminal B?
Asked by Marie Perdigone - Fri, 9 September
Yes, you can take the daily parking shuttle to get from Terminal A to Terminal B.
Are the long term parking lots open?
Asked by Jane - Sat, 3 September
The East Economy Lot is currently open but the West is not.
Is there baggage storage available?
Asked by Paul Jorjorian - Wed, 24 August
There isn't baggage storage available at this airport.
Is there covered parking next to Terminal A?
Asked by James Bruce Dally - Thu, 18 August
Yes, there is a covered parking garage with access to Terminal A.
How soon do I need to be at Sacramento airport for my flight?
Asked by Faith - Sun, 14 August
Each airline has different specifics but it is usually around an hour and a half before your flight for any domestic traveling and 2 hours before your flight for international.
Can I prepay my parking online?
Asked by Helen A Beach - Sat, 25 June
There isn't an option to prepay for parking. You can pay through someone at a cashier's booth or through a self-service kiosk in the parking garages.
What time does the bar open in Terminal A?
Asked by Pam Dobbins - Wed, 22 June
The Iron Horse Tavern in Terminal A opens at 5:00 AM.
Is there a shuttle available at the economy parking to get to the terminal?
Asked by Kathy - Tue, 17 May
The airport provides s free 24 hour daily shuttle service at both terminals to and from the rental car terminal, the Daily Lot and the Economy Lot.
Are there areas in terminal B where carry-on dogs can use to relieve themselves (toilet)?
Asked by Jim Church - Sun, 17 April
Yes! The Terminal B pet relief area is located in the grass patio area on the south end of the terminal. This is on the first level, outside baggage claim.
Where is the daily lot where I can park for 6 days for maximum of $12 per 24 hours
Asked by Teresita clark - Thu, 14 April
The East Economy Parking Lot has a $10/day maximum. Follow signs for East Economy Parking Lot as you enter the airport.
Where is long term parking?
Asked by Jean - Mon, 4 April
For long term parking, you would park in the Parking Garage - Terminals A & B. Just follow signs when you arrive at the airport.
To arrive at Sacramento Airport, 3 day daily parking, shuttle to terminal A, and getting through united check-in, how much time should we allow for?
Asked by Henry Quezada - Sun, 13 March
The airport recommends you arrive two hours prior to departure. This does not include parking, so to be safe we'd recommend 2.5 hours.
What is the best place to park for Terminal B?
Asked by Brenda S Johnson - Wed, 9 March
The hourly parking lot would be the closest to Terminal B.
Are there coffee shops before the security check in the airport?
Asked by Brenda S Johnson - Wed, 9 March
Yes - in Terminal A there is a Starbuck pre-security, and in Terminal B there is a Chocolate Fish Coffee Roasters.
What time does the car rental shuttle stop running?
Asked by Donetta Klein - Tue, 8 March
The shuttles run 24 hours.
Does southwest have curbside check in available?
Asked by Jan Arbuckle - Mon, 7 March
No, curbside check-in is not available for Southwest for this airport.
Where is the free waiting parking lot?
Asked by Joyce Beeman - Mon, 28 February
The Free Waiting Area at SMF is by the Interstate 5 entrance/exit, which gives you access to both terminals. Please note that there's a three-hour limit and you cannot leave your vehicle.
Is there a shuttle to downtown?
Asked by Fletcher Paul Adams - Fri, 25 February
Shuttles from the airport are only available for disabled travelers. SacRT's Route 142, a public transportation bus, runs an express service from the airport to downtown Sacramento. The airport express shuttle bus runs every 20/30 minutes, 7 days a week combined with Yolobus Routes 42A and 42B
We are flying in approximately 2 weeks on Delta at 6:00 am, what time does the ticketing widows open?
Asked by Scott - Mon, 21 February
The airport itself operates 24 hours. However, you should contact Delta themselves to see, since they operate the ticket counters and times can change. Good luck!