Stewart International Airport officially known as the New York Stewart International Airport is a public/ military airport in Orange County, New York, United States. It is in the southern Hudson valley located 52 nautical miles (97 km; 60 mi) north of Manhattan.
SWF Airport is owned and operated by the State of New York. It covers an area of 1,552 acres (628 ha) at an elevation of 491 feet (150 m) above mean sea level.
Airport Stats & Facts
- For 2017–2021, it is in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems, Stewart International Airport is categorized as a non-hub primary commercial service facility.
- SWF is the fourth busiest airport in New York State in terms of passengers travelling.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport’s main terminal opens every day at 4 a.m for the flights to start moving.
- Passengers are recommended to contact their air carrier directly regarding flight timings and check-in times.
- Please take a look at the SWF Airport Map before visiting the airport for a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Parking or waiting is prohibited on the airport road or in front of the terminal. drives to stay with their vehicles at all times.
- Use the free cell phone, waiting for area P3 a five-minute drive to the passenger terminal lot if you are picking a friend or family member at SWF.
- For arriving flights: Arriving flight status provides Stewart International Airport arrival times, gate information, time to land, and delays.
- For departing flights: Departing flights status shows actual vs scheduled departure, map tracking, departure times, flight delays, and gate information.
- To get the best fares book a flight at SWF Airport here.
Stewart International Airport has a main terminal with 6 gates on one concourse.
For more information, please refer to the SWF Terminal Map here.
The various airlines served at Stewart International Airport include Allegiant Airlines and JetBlue Airways. You can also avail independent helicopters.
View the full list of airlines served at SWF here.
The hourly Parking lot is one of the most convenient parking options at SWF Airport. There is free parking for the first 15 minutes only.
$3.00 for 15 to 60 minutes
After 24 hours charges are $5 for every 8 hours before the 10-hour limit reaches.
Short term lot parking rates
Short term parking is one convenient option to park at SWF airport.
FREE parking for 0-15 minutes (first day only)
$3 for 15-60 minutes
$3 for Each additional hour or part thereafter
$30 for 24-hr maximum
Long term lot parking
Another comfortable option to park at Stewart International Airport is long term parking. After the first fifteen minutes, both parking options are paid.
FREE parking for 0-15 minutes (first day only)
$5 for the first 12 hour period
$10 Subsequent 12-hr period (up to the $12 daily maximum)
For ground transportation, passengers have a variety of options to choose from, after arriving at the airport. The various options include buses, car rentals, trains, etc. Many passengers also opt for ride services such as Uber, Lyft, and Taxis available through mobile applications
The rental car companies are located on the main level directly across from the security screening and baggage claim area of the Stewart International Airport. Avis, Budget, National and Enterprise are some of the well-known providers of rental cars.
For those in need of taxi service, please speak with a red-jacketed Customer Care Representative in the terminal or at the Welcome Center for assistance scheduling a ride.
Buses & Trains
Public trains and buses are available for the passengers to and from the Stewart International Airport. Please contact the providers directly for the most up-to-date schedule and fare information.
The bus arrives at 2:25 pm and departs at 3:45 pm. The train is linked directly via Beacon station. Different train routes offer a direct link to New Jersey and Amtrak.
Amenities & Services
To help you have an amazing stay, Stewart International Airport provides visitors with different amenities and services including:
- Shopping, dining, and restaurants.
- Book stores, sitting areas, nursing suites, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Free unlimited WiFi internet service is available throughout the terminal.
- Animal service and pet relief.
Address: 1180 First Street, New Windsor, NY 12553, USA
Phone: (845) 564-7200
Stewart Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1930 Thomas "Archie" Stewart, an early aviation enthusiast and descendant of prominent local dairy farmer Lachlan Stewart convinced his uncle Samuel Stewart to donate "Stoney Lonesome", split between the towns of Newburgh and New Windsor, to the nearby city of Newburgh for use as an airport.
- In 1934 the city sold the land to the military academy for a dollar. A small dirt airstrip got cleared and graded. One of the gates has been known as Stoney Lonesome Gate at USMA ever since.
- This area of the airport, before being replaced by the newer and smaller C-17 Globemaster III in 2011 and now called Stewart Air National Guard Base, was home to the Air Force C-5 Galaxy aircraft.
- On January 25, 2007, the Port Authority voted to buy the lease for Stewart. After New Jersey's acting governor Richard Codey signed a bill the New Jersey Legislature had to pass, changing the law to allow the move, it took over operating control on November 1, 2007.
- An opening ceremony was held in which New York State Governor Elliot Spitzer attended and the Port Authority flag was raised the day after the takeover.
- After the takeover, law enforcement became the responsibility of the Port Authority of New York and the New Jersey Police Department.
- It has set aside $500 million in its ten-year capital improvement plan to expand the airport.