Tampa Airport TPA
Tampa Airport is in Tampa, Florida, USA. The airport is owned by Hillsborough County Aviation Authority (HCAA).
TPA is six miles (9.7 km) west of Downtown Tampa. The airport is spread over an area of 3,300 acres (1,300 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- Tampa Airport has been praised for its architecture and Landside/Airside design of the central terminal, that was the first of its type in the world.
- TPA serves 93 non-stop destinations throughout North America, Central America, the Caribbean, and Europe.
- In 2019, the airport handled more than 22 million passengers making it the 28th-busiest airport in North America.
- A second Landside Airside Terminal will be built to the north of the current facility, allowing the airport to serve over 50 million passengers a year by 2025.
Airport Traveling Tips
- TPA Airport is busy during the evening hours between 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Tampa International Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: Arriving Flight Status provides Tampa Airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and TPA airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Tampa Airport, book a flight at TPA airport.
The airport has one Central Landside Terminal surrounded by 4 Airside Satellites - A, C, E, and F. Each airside is connected to the Landside Terminal via an elevated automated people mover (APM). To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the Tampa Airport terminal map.
The baggage and ticketing functions take place at the central Landside Terminal.
There are 16 gates (1-12 and 14-18) on Airside A.
There are 16 gates (30-45) on Airside C as well. It is the largest airside by area.
There are 13 gates (62-75) on Airside E.
There are 14 gates (76-90) on Airside F. It was designed for international flights.
Tampa Airport is a hub for Silver Airways. It also serves various other airlines including Frontier Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, Spirit Airlines, plus more.
TPA Airport Parking
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at TPA Airport is available at the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Tampa Airport.
Short-Term Parking Rates: First hour - free, $4 for 61-80 minutes and $22 max. per 24 hours.
Long Term Parking Rates: First hour - free, $4 for 61-80 minutes and $18 max. per 24 hours.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near TPA Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition to these, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are easily available at TPA. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Tampa Airport. You can get a ride to almost any nearby location with the availability of various shuttle services.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. HART (Hillsborough Area Regional Transit) buses are located at the East end of the Red Baggage Claim Curbside by Belt 15. The route map and schedule is located at the bus stop.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Tampa Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- The passenger pickup area is at the curbside, but there may be congestion. Waiting for arrivals in the Cell Phone Waiting Lot is also available and it is free.
- Vehicles may pull up to the Departures area in front of the terminal when dropping off passengers.
Address: 4100 George J. Bean Pkwy, Tampa, FL 33607, USA
Phone: (813) 870 8700
Tampa International Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- The Tampa International Airport was opened in 1971.
- In late 1971, Northwest Airlines and National Airlines brought the jumbo jet to the airport.
- In 1991, Airside B was closed.
- In 1996, Airside C and D were remodeled and the interiors of both the satellites were refurbished.
- During the 1980s and 1990s, the Landside Terminal was remodeled numerous times.
- Delta Air Lines and US Airways opened maintenance bases at the airport and were closed during the air travel downturn following the attacks of September 2001.
- In 2005, November, Phase I of the economy parking garage was completed.
- On March 7, 2011, TPA was given green light by the federals to begin Charter flights to Cuba as an official entry/exit point.
- In 2012, a master plan was released involving the airport facilities in the future.
- In April 2017, Tampa Airport Florida released details of a $543 million Phase II of its expansion project which began construction in mid-2018.
Tampa Airport FAQs
Q. Is Tampa International Airport the same as TPA?
A: Yes. While the official name is Tampa International Airport, it is also known by its IATA code TPA.
Q. What airlines have a hub in TPA Airport?
A: Tampa International Airport is a hub for Silver Airways.
Q. How far is the Tampa International Airport from Downtown Tampa?
A: The airport is six miles (9.7 km) west of Downtown Tampa.
Q. Can you sleep at Tampa International Airport?
A: Passengers are permitted to sleep in the airport. It remains open 24 hours a day and visitors can stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome TPA layover ideas.
Q. What cities can I fly from TPA?
A: Being one of the busiest airports in the US, you can fly to many cities from Tampa International Airport. Check out our direct flights page to see where you can fly from the airport.
How do I get a skycap when returning a rental car at TPA?Vjm 06/27/2020
No cell phone
In main terminal where meet arriving person air canadaShirley 02/20/2020
Which terminal does Spirit airlines have arrivals?G.j. 02/17/2020
TPA to Clearwater
Besides Uber/Lyft and the like: are there any other o [more]jw 02/02/2020