Tampa Airport is in Tampa, Florida, USA. The airport is owned by Hillsborough County Aviation Authority (HCAA). TPA is six miles (9.7 km) west of Downtown Tampa. The airport is spread over an area of 3,300 acres (1,300 ha).
Stats & Facts
- Tampa Airport has been praised for its architecture and Landside/Airside design of the central terminal, that was the first of its type in the world.
- TPA serves 93 non-stop destinations throughout North America, Central America, the Caribbean, and Europe.
- In 2019, the airport handled more than 22 million passengers making it the 28th-busiest airport in North America.
- A second Landside Airside Terminal will be built to the north of the current facility, allowing the airport to serve over 50 million passengers a year by 2025.
TPA Traveling Tips
- TPA Airport is busy during the evening hours between 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Tampa International Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: Arriving Flight Status provides Tampa Airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and TPA airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Tampa Airport, book a flight at TPA airport.
The airport has one Central Landside Terminal surrounded by 4 Airside Satellites - A, C, E, and F. Each airside is connected to the Landside Terminal via an elevated automated people mover (APM). To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the Tampa Airport terminal map.
All baggage and ticketing functions take place at the central Landside Terminal.
There are 16 gates (A1-A12 and A14-A18) within Airside A.
There are 16 gates (C30-C45) in Airside C as well. It is the largest airside by area.
Airside E has 13 gates (E62-E75)
There are 14 gates (76-90) in Airside F, all used for international flights.
Tampa Airport is a hub for Silver Airways. It also serves various other airlines including Frontier Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, Spirit Airlines, plus more.
TPA Airport Parking
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at TPA Airport is available at the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Tampa Airport.
Short-Term Parking Rates: First hour - free, $4 for 61-80 minutes and $22 max. per 24 hours.
Long Term Parking Rates: First hour - free, $4 for 61-80 minutes and $18 max. per 24 hours.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near TPA Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition to these, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are easily available at TPA. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Tampa Airport. You can get a ride to almost any nearby location with the availability of various shuttle services.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. HART (Hillsborough Area Regional Transit) buses are located at the East end of the Red Baggage Claim Curbside by Belt 15. The route map and schedule is located at the bus stop.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Tampa Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Food, cafes, bars, stores, gift shops, and souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- The passenger pickup area is at the curbside, but there may be congestion. Waiting for arrivals in the Cell Phone Waiting Lot is also available and it is free.
- Vehicles may pull up to the Departures area in front of the terminal when dropping off passengers.
Tampa Airport History: A Brief Timeline
- The Tampa International Airport was opened in 1971.
- In late 1971, Northwest Airlines and National Airlines brought the jumbo jet to the airport.
- In 1991, Airside B was closed.
- In 1996, Airside C and D were remodeled and the interiors of both the satellites were refurbished.
- During the 1980s and 1990s, the Landside Terminal was remodeled numerous times.
- Delta Air Lines and US Airways opened maintenance bases at the airport and were closed during the air travel downturn following the attacks of September 2001.
- In 2005, November, Phase I of the economy parking garage was completed.
- On March 7, 2011, TPA was given green light by the federals to begin Charter flights to Cuba as an official entry/exit point.
- In 2012, a master plan was released involving the airport facilities in the future.
- In April 2017, Tampa Airport Florida released details of a $543 million Phase II of its expansion project which began construction in mid-2018.
Address: 4100 George J. Bean Pkwy, Tampa, FL 33607, USA
Phone: (813) 870 8700
Is there a place to store luggage until check in? We will have 5 hours before our flight leaves after our cruise. And we wanted to sight see
Asked by SHARON Pierce - Fri, 28 October
We didn't find luggage storage available at this airport.
Is Southwest in the blue or red terminal?
Asked by Stephen Kura - Mon, 10 October
Southwest is located in the red terminal.
Where is the baggage recovery center?
Asked by Gary Lang - Tue, 4 October
Any baggage questions should be directed to your airlines directly.
What time do the Hudson stores close?
Asked by Debi Rivers - Tue, 23 August
They close at 7 pm.
What time should I check in for international flight scheduled for 1PM Saturday(LH)
Asked by Janice - Tue, 16 August
It is recommended to arrive 2 hours before an international flight.
How do I get from the terminal to the car rentals?
Asked by Martin - Sun, 14 August
You can use the SkyConnect train from the terminal to go to the rental car facilities.
Which terminal is Southwest?
Asked by Yvonne Risley - Thu, 11 August
Southwest is located in Terminal C.
Can I get a wheelchair at rental car facility?
Asked by Robert - Sat, 6 August
Yes, you can arrange for a wheelchair to be available when you book your rental car.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO VALET PARK FOR TEN DAYS?
Asked by ANN T - Tue, 19 July
Valet parking is currently unavailable at this airport.
What are the hours for the TSA checkpoint to the Delta Airlines concourse?
Asked by Sue - Mon, 25 April
The TSA checkpoint hours will vary depending on the flight schedule each day.
American Airlines Baggage Claim?
Asked by Paul Rienth - Fri, 22 April
American Airlines operates out of Terminal F at this airport. Baggage claim will be on Level 1.
How to get from car rental return to the terminal?
Asked by Harold - Sat, 2 April
The SkyConnect tram will take you back to the main terminal from the Car Rental Facility.
What terminal does Breeze Airlines use?
Asked by DC Lee - Tue, 29 March
Breeze Airlines uses Airside C. Safe flying!
Is Iberia Airlines on blue side or red?
Asked by Andi - Sun, 27 February
Iberia does not operate any flights at this airport. All flights are codeshared flights, operated by Delta or British Airways. Delta operates out of the Blue side, while British Airways operates out of the red side.
Which Terminal does Avelo Ailrines use?
Asked by Morris - Sat, 26 February
Avelo Airlines uses Terminal C.
Is there a Terminal 2?
Asked by Timothy Johnson - Thu, 24 February
There are 4 passenger terminals and 2 cargo terminals. The passenger terminals use letters (e.g. Airside A) to designate.
I need an interior map of Terminal A
Asked by John P Rab - Wed, 23 February
Is there transport from econo parking to the main terminal?
Asked by Bruce Richmond White - Mon, 21 February
Yes! Free shuttle service runs 20 hours between the airport and the Economy Parking Lot.
Is there a Cellphone Lot?
Asked by Alex - Fri, 18 February
Yes, there is a Cellphone Lot, which is located on airport property south of the main terminal and across from the economy parking garage.
Entering the airport, how do I get to the rental car center?
Asked by vicki - Wed, 16 February
If you put this address into your GPS, you will get to the Rental Car Center: 5405 Airport Service Road. You should also be able to follow signs when entering the airport.
Is there a smoking area?
Asked by lisa - Tue, 15 February
Within the terminal complex, no smoking is allowed. But by exiting the door on Level 1, Level 2, or the Observation Deck on Level 3 you can access the smoking area outside from the Landside Terminal. Smoking is permitted at all active airside (A, C, E, and F) beyond the screening checkpoint on the observation deck.
Bank of America ATM?
Asked by Debra - Wed, 9 February
Yes, there are several Bank of America ATMs located throughout the airport: one in the Food Court, one by Dillards by the escalator, and one at 2223 N. Westshore Blvd.
Where can I pick up a passenger who arrived from Newark Nj with United Airline?
Asked by claudia isabel castillo - Wed, 9 February
You can pick them up at the Arrivals level of Terminal A.