Vancouver International Airport is a Transport Canada designated international airport located on Sea Island in Richmond, British Columbia.
YVR is located 12 km (7.5 mi) from Downtown Vancouver. It is the second busiest airport in Canada by aircraft movements (306,799) and passengers (25.9 million), behind Toronto Pearson International Airport.
Airport Stats & Facts
- It is a hub for Air Canada and WestJet, and an operating base for Air Transat. Vancouver International Airport is one of eight Canadian airports that have US Border Preclearance facilities.
- It is also one of the few major international airports to have a terminal for scheduled floatplanes.
- The airport has won several notable international best airport awards. It won the Skytrax Best North American Airport award in 2007 and 2010 through 2020, for a record of 11 consecutive years.
- The airport also made the list of top 10 airports in the world for the first time in 2012, rated at 9th (2012), 8th (2013), and 9th (2014) overall.
- It is the only North American airport included in the top 10 for 2013 and 2014. YVR also retains the distinction of Best Canadian Airport in the regional results.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Confirm your itinerary and reservations with your airline and check baggage quantity and weight specifications. Check your flight status online or sign up with our flight notification tool to have information about your flight sent directly to your mobile phone or email.
- All children who travel need their own ID, whether travelling abroad or within Canada. Check with your airline and view Passport Canada travelling with children information.
- Please have a look at the YVR Airport Map before visiting the airport.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Vancouver airport’s departure level curb is available for immediate drop-offs only. Vehicle parking and pick-up are not permitted on this level. Vehicles displaying a SPARC disability parking permit can park in identified locations at the Departures and Arrivals level’s curb for 15 minutes maximum.
- YVR has designated areas for immediate passenger pick-up on the Arrivals level at both the International and Domestic terminals. 30 minutes of complimentary parking is available at YVR’s cell phone waiting area.
- Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Vancouver International Airport.
- Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at YVR here.
Vancouver International Airport has a two-level terminal featuring upper-level departure and lower-level arrival areas, plus spacious ticketing and baggage claim halls.
To see the terminal locations and for more information, please refer to the YVR Terminal Map here.
The various airlines served at Vancouver International Airport are Lufthansa Airlines, Delta Airlines and China Airlines
View the full list of airlines served at YVR Airport here.
Daily Garage Parking
for short- & long-term parking, located directly across domestic and international terminals. Covered daily parking on Level P2, and hourly parking on Level P1. Offers Expressself-serve check-in terminals. Use of express pay stations for quick exit.Height restriction in the Parkade is 2 meters (6'6"). Over-height vehicles must use the Economy or Long-Term parking lots.
- 30mins: 4.25$
- Hourly: 8.5$
- Daily: 30.25$
Many transport options are available for passengers from Richmond Airport. There are plenty of options for traveling including rental cars, bus, shuttle, taxi, rideshare services, etc.
There are 7 rental car agencies located on site at Vancouver Airport. The counters are located near the central entrance of the terminal building on the lower level.
Passengers can find taxis at the airport in the center section of the lower level curbside, adjacent to the North and South parking garages (follow the Ground Transportation signs). Service runs from first flight departure to last flight arrival.
The Canada Line is Vancouver’s rapid transit rail connecting YVR to downtown Vancouver in under 30 minutes and to downtown Richmond in 18 minutes. You can access trains from both the International and Domestic Terminals
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great stay, Vancouver International Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 3211 Grant McConachie Way, Richmond, BC V7B 0A4, Canada
Vancouver International Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1929 the City of Vancouver purchased land on Sea Island for aviation purposes, replacing the original grass airstrip at Minoru Park on Lulu Island. During World War II, the airport and its original terminal, now the South Terminal, were leased to the federal government and operated by the Department of National Defence and the Department of Transport as RCAF Station Sea Island. The airport was used for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.
- In 2011 the airport announced that it will enact a program aiming to encourage airlines to start more flights between Vancouver and Asia.
- The airport has often been described as a major trans-Pacific hub, owing to its location in the Pacific Northwest and destinations in the Americas, Asia and Australia which facilitate connecting flights.
- In 2019, Craig Richmond, President and CEO of the Vancouver Airport Authority, said that the recent growth of Seattle–Tacoma International Airport in the United States could challenge Vancouver's status as a trans-Pacific hub.