Formerly Birmingham Municipal Airport, Birmingham - Shuttlesworth International Airport is a civil-military airport serving Birmingham, Alabama, and its metropolitan area, including Tuscaloosa.
The main runway at BHM is 12,007 feet (3,660 m) long. It is located in Jefferson County, 5 miles northeast of Downtown Birmingham, near the interchange of Interstates 20 and 59.
Airport Stats & Facts
- BHM averages 301 aircraft operations a day, including 136 flights to 43 airports in 40 cities.
- Birmingham Airport is the largest and busiest airport in the state of Alabama by passenger volume.
- In July 2008, the airport was renamed after Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth, founding president of the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights and a leader of the Birmingham campaign during the civil rights movement.
- In 2019, more than 3 million passengers were served by BHM.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Passengers are recommended to arrive at least 2 hours before a domestic flight departure, and at least 3 hours before an international flight.
- To make the journey hassle-free, travelers are advised to print the boarding passes ahead of arrival or plan for mobile boarding.
- The ticket counters and curbside services start between 4:30 am - 5:00 am at BHM.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, please have a look at the Birmingham Airport Map here.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Birmingham Airport’s Drop Off is not only convenient for access to the main terminal, but it’s also free for up to 20 minutes, saving you time and money. The main terminal can be reached on foot via a covered walkway, within 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you are picking up passengers from the airport, please follow the signs for Arrivals, and use the ground level access ramp to approach the terminal. Drivers are requested to not let their vehicles leave unattended.
- If you’ve to wait, the Cell Phone Waiting Lot is completely free, and there is no time limit for how long you can wait. It is conveniently located on Airline Drive - just follow the signs as you’re driving towards the airport
- Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Birmingham Airport.
- Departing flight status has the lists of scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at BHM here.
Currently, BHM has one new terminal building with three new concourses - A, B, and C.
The landside terminal has two levels.
It has ticketing and check-in facilities, a business center, and a large function room.
It has baggage claim facilities, airline baggage offices, airport operations offices, and meeting rooms available for use.
Opened on March 13, 2013, this concourse consists of eight gates: A1 - A8.
Concourse B was also opened on March 13, 2013, and consists of five gates: B1–B5.
It was opened on August 14, 2014, and consists of six gates: C1-C6.
To see the terminal location, and for more information, refer to the BHM Terminal Map.
Birmingham Airport serves various airlines including American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Express, American Eagle, and more.
Here you can view the full list of airlines served at BHM.
Short-Term & Long-Term Parking
BHM offers multiple parking options for passengers. The parking deck located directly adjacent to the terminal features both hourly and daily parking accommodations.
Hourly Parking: $1.00 per hour or $24.00 per day
Daily Parking: $1.00 per hour or $12.00 per day
Economy Lot offers the most affordable parking rates for extended travel and features complimentary shuttle service to the terminal.
Rates: $1.00 per hour or $10.00 per day
Passengers can easily travel to their destinations from the airport by opting for the most convenient mode - Rental Cars, Taxis, Public Transportation, etc.
Taxi service from the airport is available 24/7, with cabs located on the ground level directly outside the baggage claim area. BHM is served by several taxi companies, with each vehicle being independently owned and operated.
The rental car facility is located in section 1B on the ground level of the parking deck and features a variety of options in rental car companies. Passengers are recommended to contact their rental car company in the event of a delayed flight for all inquiries concerning the reservation.
Limousine and Shuttles
Limousine and shuttle services operate by reservation only. To make arrangements for shuttle or limousine service, please book prior to your arrival at the airport.
Amenities & Services
Birmingham Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 5900 Airport Highway, Birmingham, AL 35212, USA
Contact: [email protected]
Phone: (205) 595 0533
Birmingham Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- On May 31, 1931, the airport was opened with a two-story, white, Georgian style terminal and a single east-west runway.
- Around the 1940s, Birmingham was considered as a potential air transportation hub for the Deep South.
- In March 1951, four runways were in use.
- In 1973 a semi-circular terminal was completed west of the 1962 terminal.
- Between 1970 and 1992, the original 1931 terminal was finally demolished.
- In 2006 Birmingham International Airport celebrated its 75th year.
- In 2011, Birmingham Airport broke ground on a comprehensive Terminal Modernization Project.
- Beginning in December 2015, Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority introduced two new express Airport Shuttle routes from downtown Birmingham hotels directly to the terminal.