Gary-Chicago International Airport is a joint civil-military public airport in Gary, Lake County, Indiana, United States. It is operated by the Gary/Chicago International Airport Authority.
GYY airport is located three miles northwest of the city center of Gary. The airport covers an area of 763 acres (309 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- For 2011-2015, the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems called it a non-primary commercial service airport.
- In 2015, GYY opened its extended 8,859 foot runway and reaffirmed its position as the preferred mid-size airport in the region.
Airport Traveling Tips
- For an international flight, passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours before the departure time, and for a domestic flight, 2 hours before the departure.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, please have a look at the GYY Airport map.
- To ensure a smooth check-in process, passengers should pack carry-on luggage in a suitable manner, have photo ID ready, and read all the airline guidelines properly prior to arriving at the airport.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be dropped off at the departure level at the terminal.
- Visitors can pick up the travelers from outside the terminal.
- Due to security reasons, no car should be left unattended or stop at the curbside.
- The Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Gary/Chicago Airport.
- Under Departing flight status, you can find the scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at GYY here.
Gary - Chicago international Airport has one main terminal. It has two asphalt runways: 12/30 is 8,859 by 150 feet (2,700 x 46 m) and 2/20 is 3,604 by 100 feet.
For more information, please refer to the GYY Terminal Map here.
Gary Chicago International Airport serves one airline - AirNet Express.
Featuring plenty of parking spaces, the short-term parking garage is conveniently situated closest to the terminal. It is just a few minutes to walk.
Featuring ample public parking spaces, the long-term parking lot is easily-accessible parking space is a short walk to the terminals via tunnels.
First 15 mins - free
16 to 59 mins - $1
1 hr, 59 mins - $2
2 hrs, 59 mins - $3
3 hrs, 59 mins - $4
4 hrs, 59 mins - $5
5 hrs, 59 mins - $6
6 hrs or less than 24 hrs - $7
Daily max - $7
After arriving at the airport, passengers can choose from a variety of ground transportation options. From rental cars to taxis to buses, they can select according to their requirement and convenience.
The car rental center is easily accessible with a range of hire options to help make sure you have the best journey possible.
Taxis can be easily found in the dedicated zone outside the terminal building.
Traveling to and from the airport by bus couldn’t be easier with direct links to GYY Airport. All bus stops can be found right outside the terminal.
Address: 6001 West Industrial Hwy, Gary, IN 46406, USA
Contact: [email protected]
Phone: (219) 949 4925 /fax 0573
Gary/Chicago Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- Gary/Chicago Airport has been designed with an eye towards growth.
- The recent creation of the Northwest Indiana Regional Development Authority is expected to draw more state and local dollars for infrastructure improvements and additions.
- Expanding Gary/Chicago Airport is an alternative to constructing a new airport near Peotone, Illinois, 30 miles south of Chicago.
- A long-standing proposal to turn the Gary/Chicago International Airport into Chicago's third major airport received a boost in early 2006 with the approval of $48 million in federal funding over the next ten years.
- Expansion plans include a new multi-level Intermodal Terminal combining three modes of transit – passenger rail, passenger vehicles and air travel.
- On June 25, 2015, The construction of the northwest extension of runway 12/30 from 7,003 to 8,859 feet was finally completed and opened for service.
- In January 2019, there were 111 aircraft based at this airport.