The Harrisburg International Airport in Middletown, Pennsylvania, is nine miles southeast of the city. The Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority owns it. Covering over 680 acres.
Airport Stats & Facts
- MDT airport employs over 1,400 workers and can handle over 150,000 operations, and is categorized as a primary commercial airport, open to the public.
- The airport is a source of transportation for over 248,800 passengers, connecting them to the rest of the country and the world.
- There are non-stop flights to over 13 cities and hundreds of one-stop domestic & international destinations.
- Harrisburg airport is close to the city and is convenient for both businessmen and tourists.
Airport Traveling Tips
- You should arrive 60-90 minutes before the departure of your flight. Check your ticket and airline requirements to arrive at the right time.
- The check-in for early morning flights opens at 5 am, and check-in starts at 2 pm for afternoon flights. During rush hour, it is better to arrive 90 minutes before departure.
- Check the MDT Airport Map before leaving for the airport.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- If you are at the airport to pick up or drop off family and friends, the cell phone waiting area allows you to wait for 30 minutes with no charge. Once you get the pick-up call, all you need to do is drive around the terminal.
- You can also meet them at the meet-and-greet area on the second floor and leave the airport from there. Have a look at the airport map to know the directions.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Harrisburg International Airport.
- For departing flights: At Departing flight status you can have a look at the scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- For the best deals, book a flight at MDT.
The Harrisburg International Airport is designed for quick transits and journeys for all passengers. There is easy access to baggage claim areas, ticket counters, and 12 departure gates (A, B, and C) in the main terminal.
To know your way around the airport, check here
The airlines serving HIA are United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Delta Air Lines, American Eagle, Allegiant Air, and Air Canada Express.
All forms of parking are now in the Parking Garage. As of April 2020, the parking rates and spaces have changed. You can now park your car for however long you like.
There is temporary access to daily parking at the parking lot next to the airport for $12/day.
The various hourly charges are:
$2.20 for 30 minutes.
$4.40 for 1 hour
Additional $2.20 for every extra hour.
There is no shortage of local transport to get you to and from the airport. You can get around the city on a bus, rental car, hotel shuttles, limos, and an Uber to get to the climate controlled Skybridge.
Rental car agencies have counters on the ground floor of the transportation center. A few available agencies are Avis, Budget, and Payless. To get the full list, check the website.
You can find taxis past the rental car agency counters on the ground floor of the transportation center. HIA exclusively uses the Good Cabs service and can be contacted on 717-234-9000.
Buses and Trains
The airport bus is available on Route 7 of the Capital Area Transit System. You can hire private buses here. You can find the train stations to HIA fifteen minutes from the downtown Harrisburg Amtrak station and two miles from the Middletown Amtrak Train station. You can catch a taxi to get to the station and are both on the Keystone line.
Amenities & Services
If you’re worried about being bored at the airport, there’s absolutely no need. The services and amenities at the Harrisburg International Airport make sure you don’t feel away from home. The various amenities are:
- Shopping and Dining
- Accessibility & Assistance
- Free Wi-Fi Access
- Lost & Found
- Mamava Pumping Suite / Pod
- Flyer Rewards & Susquehanna Club
Address: 510 Airport Drive, Middletown, PA 17057.
Phone: (717) 948-3900
Harrisburg International Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- Harrisburg International Airport, Middletown, Pennsylvania, opened in 1898 and is now a public airport.
- The airport was the base for the Signal Corps of the U.S. Army and the U.S. Army Air Service.
- The Olmsted Middletown Air Depot or Middletown Air Materiel Area was also the logistics base until its closure in 1969.
- The new terminals, designed by William Pereira, finished construction in 1973.