Jackson Wiley Evers International Airport is a city-owned civil-military airport in Jackson, Mississippi, located six miles (9.7 kilometers) east of downtown Jackson and across the Pearl River. While the majority of Jackson is in Hinds County, the airport is located in Rankin County.
JAN provides services to commercial, private, and military aircraft. It is administered by the Jackson Municipal Airport Authority, which also regulates aviation activities at Hawkins Field in northwest Jackson, and is named after Medgar Evers, the former Mississippi Field Secretary for the NAACP.
Airport Stats & Facts
- In March 2011, Jackson International Airport was ranked the 8th-best airport in a worldwide consumer survey conducted by Airports Council International (ACI).
- It was the only airport in the United States to be ranked in the top ten.
Airport Traveling Tips
- JAN Airport is busy during the morning hours between 4:00 am to 5:00 am and 10:00 to 11:00 am.
- Passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours before an international flight departure, and 2 hours before a domestic flight to account for any possible delays.
- Please take a look at the Jackson Airport Map before visiting the airport for a flight.
- International Passengers connecting to another flight will need to re-check their luggage and go through screening by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- For picking up a passenger, visitors can wait in the cell phone lot, or use the parking option.
- Passengers can be dropped off outside the terminal.
- For arriving flights: Arriving flight status provides JAN Airport arrival times, gate information, time to land, and delays.
- For departing flights: Departing flights status shows actual vs scheduled departure, map tracking, departure times, flight delays, and gate information.
- To get the best fares book a flight at JAN Airport.
The two concourse terminals at Jackson-Evers International Airport have six flight gates. Amenities for the passengers at JAN airport include three restaurants and bars, a gift shop, baggage claim counter, car rental agencies and assistance for disabled passengers. A free shuttle links the car parks to the terminal building.
For more information, please refer to the JAN Airport Terminal Map here.
Jackson-Evers International Airport hosts nine scheduled airlines including American Eagle, Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Comair, Continental Express and Delta airlines.
View the full list of airlines served at the JAN Airport here.
Short-Term & Long-Term Parking
Parking at JAN is available at the terminal. From hourly to daily to long-term, and more, various parking options are available at the JAN Airport.
Short term parking rates :
Garage A is $14 a day
Lot B is $16
Long term parking rates:
$10 a day
Many parking lots offer economical off-airport parking near JAN Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
For ground transportation, passengers have a variety of options to choose from, after arriving at the airport. The various options include buses, car rentals, airport shuttles, etc. Many passengers also opt for ride services such as Uber, Lyft, and Taxis.
Car Rentals are easily available at JAN Airport. There are many car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Some of the well-known providers include Enterprise, Hertz, National, and more. They offer the passengers a great variety of vehicles to choose from.
Buses & Trains
For all the major nearby locations, public transportation is one of the most economical options and is easily available outside the airport.
Airport Shuttles are a wonderful way to travel from JAN Airport. You can get a ride to almost any nearby location with the availability of various shuttle services.
Amenities & Services
To help you have an amazing stay, JAN Airport provides visitors with different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Massage bars, and shoe shine stations.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
Address: 1399 Airport Rd N, Flowood, MS 39232, USA
Phone: (601) 939 5631
Jackson Evers Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- The first jets scheduled to Jackson were Delta Convair 880s in late 1963, Newark-Birmingham-Jackson-Shreveport-Dallas and back.
- In 1973 Delta Boeing 727s flew nonstop to Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Monroe (LA), Montgomery (AL), Memphis, Meridian (MS), New Orleans, and Shreveport, which continued for some time afterward. In the mid-1980s, Delta 727s and McDonnell Douglas DC-9s flew nonstop to Atlanta, Dallas/Ft Worth, Memphis, Mobile, Monroe, and Shreveport.
- In October 1991 Delta had nonstop 727s, DC-9s and McDonnell Douglas MD-88s to its hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati, and Dallas/Ft Worth, in addition to Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Monroe, and Shreveport. Delta reduced its flights in the 1990s and 2000s; in 2013 it flew only to Atlanta from Jackson
- In 2013 the airport saw 7,520 commercial aircraft (about 20 commercial aircraft per day) and 53,096 aircraft overall.
- In late 2018 Frontier Airlines started non-stop seasonal service to Orlando International Airport and Denver International Airport. They are the only airline to schedule the Airbus A320 family to Jackson.