Kahului Airport is a regional airport in the state of Hawaii, United States. It is located east of the Kahului CDP in Maui County on the island of Maui near Haleakala.
OGG Maui airport is owned by the Hawaii Department of Transportation. It occupies 1,391 acres of land.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Kahului Airport is the second busiest airport in the State of Hawaii and the newest in terms of terminal facilities.
- For 2017-2021, it’s included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems, in which OGG airport is categorized as a medium-hub primary commercial service facility.
- It has two asphalt runways.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Passengers are advised to arrive at least 2 hours before the scheduled flight departure to account for any possible delays.
- To ensure a hassle-free traveling process, make sure to carry your photo identification documents, pack according to the rules, and read any essential guidelines prior to heading for a flight.
- The airport offers a Visitor Information Program to assist travelers, and the information desks are located throughout the airport.
- Please have a look at the OGG Airport Map before visiting the airport for a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be dropped off and picked up at the curbside.
- However, remember that unattended vehicles and waiting aren’t allowed outside the terminal.
- Visitors waiting for the arriving passengers may choose to stand by in the Cell Phone Waiting Area which is located just North of the car rental area, just a few minutes away from the airport terminal. It’s a first-come, first-served lot, and there is a maximum waiting time of free 60 minutes.
- For arriving flights: Arriving flight status provides Maui Airport arrival times, gate info., delays, and time to land.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, flight delays, departure times, gate information, and map tracking.
- Book a flight at OGG here, to get the best fares.
There are two terminals - the commuter terminal and the main passenger terminal (divided into two areas - north and south) at Kahului Airport.
The terminal building has ticketing, USDA agricultural inspection, and baggage claim areas on the ground level.
The north area houses Gates 17–39 with nine aircraft parking positions, sized for three inter-island and six overseas aircraft.
The south area houses Gates 1–16 with seven aircraft parking positions, sized for four inter-island and three overseas aircraft.
Inter-island gates are Gates 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, and 21. Overseas gates are Gates 1, 5, 7, 23, 27, 29, 33, 35, and 39.
To see the terminal locations and for more information, please refer to the OGG Terminal Map here.
The various airlines served at Kahului Airport include American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, Mokulele Airlines, and more.
View the full list of airlines served at OGG here.
Public parking is available at Kahului Airport.
Automatic ticket dispensers issue parking tickets at the entrance to each parking area.
0-15 Minutes - Free
16-30 Minutes - $1.00
31-60 Minutes - $2.00
61-120 Minutes - $2.00
121-180 Minutes - $2.00
181-240 Minutes - $2.00
241-300 Minutes - $4.00
301-360 Minutes - $2.00
Passengers can choose among a variety of options for ground transportation after arriving at the Kahului airport. The various options include buses, rentals, airport shuttles, etc. In addition to this, many passengers also opt for ride services such as Uber, Taxis, and Lyft.
Eight rental car companies are located at the airport. Passengers can take the free tram, located across from baggage claim. Some of the well-known providers include Budget, Hertz, Avis, and more.
Airport taxis are located fronting the baggage claim area. The rates are subject to change, and travelers are recommended to consult the taxi dispatcher or driver on arrival for current fares and information.
The County of Maui operates a public transit system that provides limited service to the airport. The Upcountry and Haiku Islander routes stop at the Kahului Airport. Maui Bus stops at marked locations fronting the terminal. All of the routes are operated seven days a week, including all holidays.
Amenities & Services
To make your stay amazing, Kahului Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Banks & ATMs.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display
Address: 1 Kahului Airport Road, Kahului, HI 96732-2395, USA
Phone: (808) 872 3830
Kahului Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1942, construction started on Naval Air Station Kahului. After the war, extensive negotiations between the Territory of Hawaii and the Navy resulted in the airbase being turned over to the Hawaii Aeronautics Commission.
- In June 1952, the Kahului Airport began commercial airline operations.
- In 1988, the air traffic control tower was completed.
- As a result of the passage of Hawaii State Legislature bills in 1998 and 2001, Kahului is planned to undergo expansion for new, larger facilities, lengthening of runways, increasing fuel storage capacities, and construction of new access roads.
- On May 15, 2019, a new consolidated rental car facility was opened at Kahului Airport.