McAllen International Airport is two miles south of McAllen, in Hidalgo County, Texas, United States. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2017–2021 categorized it as a small hub primary commercial service airport
MFE covers 370 acres (150 ha) at an elevation of 107 feet (33 m). It has two asphalt runways: 14/32 is 7,120 by 150 feet (2,170 x 46 m) and 18/36 is 2,639 by 60 feet (804 x 18 m).
Airport Stats & Facts
- In November 2015 runway 13/31 was redesignated 14/32 and an EMAS, engineered materials arrestor system, was installed at the runway 14 approach end.
- In the updated 20-year Master Plan for MFE runway 14/32 will be extended to 10,000 ft and a parallel runway will be added. An expanded cargo apron will be on the south side of the airport.
Airport Traveling Tips
- To account for any possible delays, show up at least 2 hours early for the scheduled flight departure.
- Don’t forget to print your boarding pass the night before and contact your airline with any questions or concerns. Also, visit the MFE Airport map before heading to the airport.
- In order to travel hassle-free, all passengers 18 years of age and older must show valid identification at authorized checkpoints.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be dropped-off outside the terminal building.
- For picking up passengers, MFE has a free waiting area located near the parking lot. Instead of circling the airport, visitors may wait here until they receive a call for pick up.
- Strategically placed disinfecting wipe stations, such as in the baggage claim area and security checkpoints; conveniently located hand sanitizer dispensers; easy-to-see social distancing chair and floor markings; clear and informative safety reminders displayed on LED screens throughout the airport, as well as CDC Guidance announcements in both English and Spanish reminding travelers of best practices to stay safe, are found throughout MFE, all part of the effort to help keep passengers healthy, safe and informed.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the McAllen Miller International Airport.
- For departing flights: At Departing flight status you can have a look at the scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- For the best deals, book a flight at MFE.
The terminal building structure at the MFE airport has one main terminal building which houses all airport facilities.
The MFE airport terminal building has six terminal gates and one main concourse. This concourse was built with Gate 5 opening in the beginning of 2006 due to the establishment of Delta Connection at the airport.
In 2008, research revealed that another terminal was required and the existing terminal was expanded to include eight more terminal gates.
For more information, please refer to the MFE Airport Map here.
The various airlines served at McAllen Miller International Airport are United Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Aeromar Airlines
View the full list of airlines served at MFE here.
McAllen Miller Airport offers short- & long-term, as well as economy parking, all within walking distance of the terminal. All three parking options offer the first 30 mins free - ideal for passenger pickup.
Fees: 31-60 mins $1; each add'l 20 mins $1; 3-24 hrs $11; thereafter $15/day
Fees: 31-60 mins $1, each add'l 20 mins $1; 2 hrs 31 mins - 24 hrs (daily max) $6.
MFE airport has Valley Transit Company which is a local shuttle service providing service for the airport. It provides shuttle services up to a 200 mile radius; reservations are suggested for McAllen International Airport.
The airport houses an on-site rental car agency with seven companies. These include Avis, Aleman Auto, Dollar, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National. The rental lot is located next to the short term lot adjacent to the terminal. Please call ahead during the holiday season .
There is a bus station located across the street from the airport one tenth of a mile that offers McAllen Express Transit, the local public busing. The buses stop every 15 to 20 minutes at the airport throughout the day. Schedules are available at the information stand in the terminal.
Amenities & Services
McAllen Miller International Airport provides plenty of amenities and services for visitors to have a great time at the airport.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Multiple Bars and drinking joints
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 2500 S Bicentennial Blvd, McAllen, TX 78503, USA
Phone: 956-681-1500/ fax 1510
McAllen Miller Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- MFE is the busiest airline airport in the Rio Grande Valley. The airport is also served by two of the three global alliances, Star Alliance and Oneworld.
- MFE lost its only international flight in September 2007 – a daily Continental Express flight to Mexico City although Mexican air carrier Aeromar currently operates nonstop service from the airport to the capital of Mexico.
- After less than one year it was announced that MFE would lose its only non-stop flight to Los Angeles (LAX), operated by Delta Connection partner ExpressJet Airlines, at the end of 2007; however, Allegiant Air currently flies a seasonal nonstop McAllen to LAX with several flights a week.
- In December 2007 it was announced that Delta Connection would pull out of McAllen on January 6, 2008, ending its two flights a day from MFE to Atlanta, operated by Delta Connection partner Atlantic Southeast Airlines.
- In March 2009 Delta, through its wholly owned subsidiary Northwest Airlines, began flying MFE to Memphis on Northwest Airlink partner Pinnacle Airlines.
- Northwest Airlines had previously flown MFE to its Memphis hub starting in 2004.