Piedmont Triad International Airport is an airport located in unincorporated Guilford County, North Carolina, west of Greensboro. It is owned and operated by the Piedmont Triad Airport Authority.
GSO airport is located just off Bryan Boulevard at the hub of the Piedmont Triad region and sits on a 3,770 acre (1,526 ha) campus.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Piedmont Triad International airport is the third busiest airport in North Carolina.
- The airport averages 280 takeoffs and landings each day.
- The name change of the airport is on hold.
- Construction of a new Air Traffic Control tower began in April 2019 and is projected to be commissioned in 2022.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Passengers are advised to arrive at least 2 hours before a domestic flight departure, and 3 hours before an international departure.
- To ensure a smooth check-in process, passengers should pack carry-on luggage in an appropriate manner, have photo ID ready, and read all the airline guidelines properly prior to arriving at the airport.
- Before visiting the airport for a flight, please have a look at the GSO Airport map here.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be picked up or dropped off outside the terminal.
- Those picking up or dropping off passengers should not enter the main terminal (when possible).
- Visitors can use the short term parking in front of the main terminal, stay in their vehicles and communicate by cell phone unless they are assisting unaccompanied minors, passengers with disabilities, or others who need assistance.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, delays, and time to land, gate information, etc. for the Piedmont Triad Airport.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status shows scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- Book a flight at GSO here, to get the best deals.
The terminal building of Piedmont GSO Airport was completed in 1982. It has two passenger-accessible levels, two concourses and 26 passenger gates. There are 14 gates on the north concourse, and 12 gates on the south concourse.
The top-level includes ticketing, security, boarding, and concession areas.
The bottom floor houses baggage claim and ground transportation.
To see the terminal location, and for more information, please refer to the GSO Terminal Map.
The various airlines served at Piedmont Triad International Airport include United Express, Spirit Airlines, Delta Airlines, American Eagle, and more.
View the full list of airlines served at GSO here.
The short-term parking is available at meters in front of the building for up to two hours. Travellers are advised not to leave their vehicle in a short-term space for more than 2 hours.
The long-term surface parking lots are located on both sides of the parking garage.
Per hour - $1
Per 24 hours - $8
The garage parking is located approximately 40 yards across from the terminal. The entrance is located across from arrival level or on the departure level across from the terminal building.
Per hour - $1
Per 24 hours - $10
Passengers have many options for ground transportation after arriving at the Piedmont Triad International Airport. From public transport to rental cars to taxis, and more, they can choose according to their requirement and convenience.
Various rental car companies can be easily found at the GSO Airport. Some of the well-known providers include Alamo, Budget, Avis, etc.
Taxi/van services are provided by Archangels Transit, located at the lower level center in the terminal building at Piedmont Triad Airport.
PART (Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation) serves the GSO Airport with affordable and comfortable transit services. PART Regional Hub can help you transfer to Express Bus Routes serving the entire Piedmont Triad and beyond!
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great time, Piedmont Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Observation room.
Address: 1000 A Ted Johnson Parkway, Greensboro, NC 27409, USA
Phone: (336) 665 5600 /24-hr info 5666
Piedmont Triad Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1927, Piedmont Triad International Airport had its start when the Tri-City Airport Commission selected 112 acres (45 ha) near the community of Friendship for an airport.
- In May, 1927, Greensboro and Guilford County jointly purchased the Friendship property from Paul C. and Helen G. Lindley and named it Lindley Field.
- On November 6, 1930, passenger service was inaugurated by Dixie Flying Service.
- In July 1942 responsibility for the airport was given to the Greensboro-High Point Airport Authority.
- In 1958, a new passenger terminal opened, replacing the temporary facility that had served since World War II.
- In 1982, the new terminal complex was completed.
- In 2011 the airport began a renovation project that included new furnishings, automated baggage handling, free wireless internet, and more.
- In December 2017, A proposal to rename the airport to "Central North Carolina International Airport" was passed; the renaming was slated to become effective on January 1, 2018.