Auckland Airport AKL
Auckland Airport is the largest and busiest airport in New Zealand. It is owned and operated by Auckland International Airport Limited (AIAL).
AKL is located near Mangere, a residential suburb, and Airport Oaks, a service hub suburb 21 kilometers (13 mi) south of the Auckland city center.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Providing thousands of jobs for the region, Auckland airport is one of New Zealand's most important infrastructure assets.
- Over 12,000 people work at Auckland Airport.
- In 2000, It handled 71 percent of New Zealand's international air passenger arrivals and departures.
- AKL has a capacity of about 45 flight movements per hour.
- The airport served over 21 million passengers in the year ended March 2019.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Travelers are recommended to arrive at least 2 hours before a domestic flight departure, and 3 hours before an international flight.
- Passengers should make sure they do not have any sharp items, such as nail clippers, scissors, pocket knives, and metal nail files in carry-on luggage.
- Baggage must never be left unattended in public areas.
- Please have a look at the AKL Airport Map before visiting the airport.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- A designated area is located on the domestic terminal forecourt for immediate pickup and drop-off only.
- There are two colored areas - the blue zone and red zone, to make it easier for the passenger and the person picking them up to locate each other.
- If you are waiting for a traveler, use The Wait Zone, which has over 50 spaces where you can wait, free of charge for 30 minutes.
- If travelers want to spend time with their loved ones, then they can park in one of the car parks right across from the terminal.
- Also, you can book your short term parking in advance online.
- Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Auckland Airport.
- Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at AKL here.
Auckland Airport consists of two terminals - International Terminal and Domestic Terminal. Located approximately 500m apart, the two terminals are connected by a free shuttle bus service and a signposted walkway. The airport has 65 gates in total.
Pier A: Gates 1-10.
Pier B: Gates 15-18
International Terminal’s check-in counters are at the eastern end of the building on the ground level.
Gates 28 through to 33 all have jet bridges. There are nine gates that have jet bridges in the domestic terminal.
To know the terminal locations, and for more information, please refer to the AKL Airport’s terminal map here.
Auckland connects to 26 domestic and 49 international destinations. Plenty of airlines are served at AKL including Air New Zealand, Jetstar Airways, Malaysia Airlines, Emirates, Virgin Australia, and more. Visit the full list of airlines served at Auckland Airport.
Make the most of Auckland Airport's online short-term parking by booking in advance.
Price - $6.95 for up to 2 hours.
Economy Parking is available at both the international and domestic terminals at Auckland Airport. It is the perfect option for travelers wanting the convenience of parking at the airport at a reasonable price.
Options under this lot are secure and conveniently located just moments from the terminals and airline lounges. It’s also available at both the terminals at Auckland Airport.
Many transport options are available for passengers from Auckland Airport. There are a number of bus, shuttle, taxi and rideshare services which can pick up from the terminal forecourts.
The Auckland Airport licensed car rentals companies are conveniently located at the terminal buildings or in the surrounding area. At the international terminal rental car services are located next to the arrivals area on the ground floor. While domestic travelers can find rental car operators on the ground floor of the multi-level car park building.
Taxis and Shuttles
Only licensed companies are able to pick up passengers from the designated taxi ranks at the terminal buildings. Taxi and shuttle ranks are located outside the arrivals area - door 8 at the international terminal and outside door 4 at the domestic terminal.
There are several public transport services that operate from Auckland Airport. SkyBus is part of the largest bus network in Australasia providing fast, frequent, and affordable airport transfers.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great stay, Auckland Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: Ray Emery Drive, Manukau - Mangere, North Island, 2150, NZL
Phone: +64 9 275 0789
Auckland Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1960, work started to transform the site into Auckland's main airport.
- In 1966, the airport was officially opened.
- In 1977, a new terminal was built.
- In 2007, construction began on a second runway to the north of the current one.
- In 2009, an extension to the international terminal was constructed, creating Pier B.
- In 2013, the domestic terminal undertook a series of upgrades costing a total of $30 million.
- In early 2014, the Auckland Airport released its 30-year vision for the future.
- The new northern runway extension of the terminal forecourt by 2025.
Q: Is Auckland Airport the same as AKL?
A: Yes. While the official name is Auckland International Airport, it is also referred to by its IATA code AKL.
Q: What cities can I fly from AKL?
A: You can fly to many cities from AKL Airport. Please have a look at our direct flights page to see where you can fly.
Q: Can I sleep at Auckland Airport?
A: The airport remains open 24 hours a day and passengers are permitted to sleep inside the airport, and they can also stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome AKL layover ideas.
Transit Connections on Different airlines
My flights are separately booked on different airlin [more]CV 10/05/2018
Transiting AKL on separate International Flights
My flights are separately booked on different airline [more]CV 10/05/2018
Transitiong through AKL
I am flying from Vancouver Canada to Sydney Australia [more]jafal 08/11/2016