Indianapolis Airport is an international airport in Marion County, Indiana, United States. It is 7 miles (11 km) southwest of downtown Indianapolis.
The airport occupies an area of 7,700 acres (3,116 ha) and is owned and operated by the Indianapolis Airport Authority.
Airport Stats & Facts
- For 2017-2021, The FAA National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems categorized the airport as a medium hub primary commercial service facility.
- In 2017, IND ranked as the 8th-busiest U.S. airport in terms of air cargo.
- The airport averages 145 daily departures.
- In 2019, IND served more than 9 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The busy hours of the airport include:
- Morning: 8:00 am - 9:00 am
- Evening: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- To account for any possible delays and TSA security wait times, passengers are advised to reach the airport in time.
- Domestic Flight - For domestic flights arrive 2 hours before the departure time.
- International Flight - For international flights arrive at least 3 hours before the departure time.
- Refer to the IND Airport Map before heading to the airport for a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be picked up at curbside on the arrivals level of the terminal and met inside of the terminal.
- Passengers can be dropped off at curbside on the departures level of the terminal or escorted into the terminal at the Ticketing Hall.
- For arriving flights: The arriving flight status provides Indianapolis Airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate information.
- For departing flights: The departing flight status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, map tracking, flight delays, and IND gate information.
- See best fares at Indianapolis Airport. Book a flight at IND.
The current terminal at the Indianapolis Airport was opened in 2008. It has room for 44 gates and 2 international gates (also function as domestic gates). There are two levels at the terminal. For additional information, and to know more please refer to the IND Terminal Map.
This level houses the baggage claim and FIS/US Customs for International Arrivals.
This level houses ticketing counters and spacious separate security checkpoints for Concourses A & B.
Indianapolis Airport serves various airlines including Spirit Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Delta Connection, American Eagle, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, United Express, and more.
Short-Term and Long-Term Parking:
Parking at IND Airport is available at the terminal. The various parking options at the Indianapolis Airport range from hourly to daily to long-term parking.
Many parking lots offer economical off-site parking near Indianapolis Airport. Most of the off-site lots allow 24x7 access.
There are several options for passengers for ground transportation after arriving at the airport. They can choose from a variety of options including, airport shuttles, buses, car rentals, etc. Also, many travelers opt for ride services like Uber, Lyft, and Taxis.
Airport Shuttles are a great way to travel from Indianapolis Airport. You can easily get a ride to almost any nearby location with the availability of various shuttle services.
Car Rentals are a breeze at IND Airport. There are many car rental agencies at the airport onsite and some of the well-known providers include Hertz, Enterprise, National, plus more. They offer a large variety of vehicles to the passengers to choose from.
BlueIndy is the electric car-sharing service that connects you from the airport to destinations around the city of Indianapolis. Bluecars are located on the fifth floor of the Terminal Garage.
Buses & Trains
Public Transportation is available from the IND Airport to the major nearby locations.
Amenities & Services
To make your stay enjoyable, Indianapolis Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenirs.
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Currency Exchange.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
Address: 7800 Col. H. Weir Cook Memorial Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46241, USA
Phone: (317) 487 7243
Indianapolis Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- The airport was opened in 1931 and was known as Indianapolis Municipal Airport.
- In 1944, it was renamed Weir Cook Municipal Airport.
- Since 1962, the airport by the Indianapolis Airport Authority.
- In 1976, the airport was named Indianapolis International Airport.
- In the late 1990s and early 2000s, Indianapolis was a hub for then locally based ATA Airlines.
- In 1994, United Airlines finished building the Indianapolis Maintenance Center.
- In 2008, a new midfield passenger terminal was opened at the airport.
- In 2017, September, Delta Air Lines announced it would begin service from Indianapolis to Paris beginning in May 2018.
- In 2018, technology services and consulting company Infosys announced plans to build a U.S. training center at the site of the former terminal building.