Located in an unincorporated area of Orange County, John Wayne Airport is a commercial and general aviation airport. It is surrounded by the cities of Irvine, Newport Beach, and Costa Mesa, and its IATA code and mailing address are both registered to Santa Ana, the county seat.
Orange County SNA airport is located approximately 35 miles south of Los Angeles and is owned and operated by Orange County. SNA Airport has two main runways and is spread over an area of 504 acres.
Airport Stats & Facts
- In Orange County, John Wayne Airport is the sole commercial airport.
- In 2014, John Wayne Airport was the second busiest airport in the Greater Los Angeles area.
- The main runway at SNA Airport at 5,701 feet (1,738 m) in length, is one of the shortest of any major airport in the United States.
- In 2019, the airport served more than 10 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Travelers are recommended to plan ahead and arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure time for domestic flights, and 3 hours for international flights to account for TSA security wait times and any delays, if there.
- Usually, in the early morning hours, there’s heavy travel volume at SNA.
- The security checkpoints are in each Terminal A, B, and C for access to the gate areas. Any gate can be accessed from any security checkpoint.
- For more personalized customer service or international travel, visit the ticket counters located on the Departure (upper) Level in Terminals A, B, and C.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, passengers are advised to go through the SNA Airport map.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- When picking up passengers, you can use the short-term parking and wait in the cell phone waiting lot. It is located south of Parking Structure C near the corner of MacArthur Boulevard and Campus Drive.
- For dropping-off passengers, vehicles may briefly stop at the white curb for on the Departure (upper) Level roadway; be careful not to stop at a red curb or other restricted areas.
- For arriving flights: The arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the John Wayne Airport can be found under the arrival flight status.
- For departing flights: The Departing flight status has the lists of scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- Book a flight at SDF here, to get the best fares.
John Wayne Airport has 3 Terminals - A, B, and C and 22 gates in total. To know the terminal locations, and for information please refer to the SNA Airport Terminal Map.
Terminals A - Gates 1-8
Terminal B - Gates 9-15
Terminal C - Gates 16-22
Many airlines are served by John Wayne Airport including Delta Air Line, Delta Connection, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and more. View the list of airlines at John Wayne Airport here.
For parking at SNA Airport, there are a variety of options available.
Terminal Parking (A1, A2, B2, C)
Four parking structures are conveniently located next to the main terminal. A1 and A2 are located adjacent to and directly across from Terminal A, and B2 and C are closest to Terminals B and C.
Rate: $2 per hour up to $20 per 24-hour period
Off-Airport parking is available in various parking lots near the John Wayne Airport. Most of the off-site lots allow 24/7 access.
A variety of ground transportation options are available at John Wayne Airport conveniently connecting the Airport to surrounding hotels, tourist attractions, businesses, and residences.
The taxis service is available for travelers at the Ground Transportation Center on the Arrival (lower) Level between Terminals A and B. In Terminal C, Yellow Cabs are available on the Arrival (lower) Level at Column 14.
The rental cars counters are located on the Arrival (lower) Level, between Terminals A and B. Some of the well-known providers for car rentals include Alamo, Avis, Budget, etc.
Shuttle vans operated by private companies are a popular transportation option at SNA. Shuttle service is available on the Arrival (lower) Level in the Ground Transportation Center.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is a great option for traveling from SNA Airport. Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) Route 76, and the Shuttle, Route A, service SNA. The bus stop is located on the Arrival (lower) Level, curbside, in front of Terminal B. The nearest train stations are located in Irvine, Santa Ana, and Tustin.
Amenities & Services
John Wayne Airport provides a lot of amenities and services for visitors including.
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 18601 Airport Way, Santa Ana, CA 92707, USA
Contact: [email protected]
Phone: (949) 252 5200
John Wayne Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1923, the first airstrip on the grounds was constructed.
- In 1964 the airport was rebuilt, with its present two parallel runway configuration.
- In the 1950s, the only airline flights were Bonanza.
- On June 20, 1979, Orange County Airport was renamed John Wayne Airport.
- Remodeling added two passenger holding areas in 1974, a new baggage claim area in 1980, and a terminal annex building in 1982.
- In 1990, the Thomas F. Riley Terminal opened.
- In 2011, additional terminal space was added and existing terminals were refreshed as part of a $543 million expansion project.
- In June 2020, a name change was requested.
Which baggage claim does Alaska Airlines use?
Asked by Eileen Sugiura - Mon, 16 May
Alaska Airline operates out of Terminal B at this airport. So the baggage claim will be in the Terminal B Baggage Claim area, but will very in number.
Where specifically can I park my motorcycle?
Asked by Mr. David Willett - Sun, 8 May
You should be able to park your motorcycle in the Terminal Parking Structure without issue.
Phone number to reserve parking in the cell lot?
Asked by Jocelyn Shannon - Sun, 10 April
You cannot reserve parking in the cell phone lot - it is first-come, first-serve.
How do you get to arrival area if you are picking someone up?
Asked by Patricia - Mon, 4 April
When picking up passengers, you can park and wait in the cell phone waiting lot located south of Parking Structure C near the corner of MacArthur Boulevard and Campus Drive. Once your passengers have collected your luggage, follow signs for Arrivals.
Where is Spirit Airlines located?
Asked by Jim - Mon, 21 March
Spirit flies out of Terminal 3 at this airport.
Earliest departures in the AM?
Asked by Harris - Fri, 11 March
The airport is open from 4:30AM until 12:00AM, though the earliest flight can vary day-to-day.
Where do I pick up Super Shuttle to Disneyland?
Asked by Betsy Riccomini - Wed, 2 March
All shuttle service, including Super Shuttle, is located in the Ground Transportation Center located on the Arrival, or lower, Level.
How do I enter Terminal C parking?
Asked by peggy A Olrich - Sat, 26 February
All Terminal Parking is located at: 18601 Airport Way, Santa Ana, CA 92707.
How late does the stores stay open?
Asked by Annalisa Turner - Tue, 22 February
Is there a smoking area for passengers with layovers?
Asked by Jarrod - Mon, 14 February
Smoking is only allowed in dedicated areas outside the terminal building. Therefore, unless you have a very long layover and are able to exit and re-enter through security, smoking is likely not an option.
How much does it cost to park hourly?
Asked by Sean - Sun, 13 February
Terminal Parking costs $2 per hour with a $20 daily rate. Off-Terminal (Main Street) parking costs $2 per hour with a $14 daily rate.