John Wayne Airport SNA
Located in an unincorporated area of Orange County, John Wayne Airport is a commercial and general aviation airport. It is surrounded by the cities of Irvine, Newport Beach, and Costa Mesa, and its IATA code and mailing address are both registered to Santa Ana, the county seat.
Orange County SNA airport is located approximately 35 miles south of Los Angeles and is owned and operated by Orange County. SNA Airport has two main runways and is spread over an area of 504 acres.
Airport Stats & Facts
- In Orange County, John Wayne Airport is the sole commercial airport.
- In 2014, John Wayne Airport was the second busiest airport in the Greater Los Angeles area.
- The main runway at SNA Airport at 5,701 feet (1,738 m) in length, is one of the shortest of any major airport in the United States.
- In 2019, the airport served more than 10 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Travelers are recommended to plan ahead and arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure time for domestic flights, and 3 hours for international flights to account for TSA security wait times and any delays, if there.
- Usually, in the early morning hours, there’s heavy travel volume at SNA.
- The security checkpoints are in each Terminal A, B, and C for access to the gate areas. Any gate can be accessed from any security checkpoint.
- For more personalized customer service or international travel, visit the ticket counters located on the Departure (upper) Level in Terminals A, B, and C.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, passengers are advised to go through the SNA Airport map.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- When picking up passengers, you can use the short-term parking and wait in the cell phone waiting lot. It is located south of Parking Structure C near the corner of MacArthur Boulevard and Campus Drive.
- For dropping-off passengers, vehicles may briefly stop at the white curb for on the Departure (upper) Level roadway; be careful not to stop at a red curb or other restricted areas.
- For arriving flights: The arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the John Wayne Airport can be found under the arrival flight status.
- For departing flights: The Departing flight status has the lists of scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- Book a flight at SDF here, to get the best fares.
John Wayne Airport has 3 Terminals - A, B, and C and 22 gates in total. To know the terminal locations, and for information please refer to the SNA Airport Terminal Map.
Terminals A - Gates 1-8
Terminal B - Gates 9-15
Terminal C - Gates 16-22
Many airlines are served by John Wayne Airport including Delta Air Line, Delta Connection, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and more. View the list of airlines at John Wayne Airport here.
For parking at SNA Airport, there are a variety of options available.
Terminal Parking (A1, A2, B2, C)
Four parking structures are conveniently located next to the main terminal. A1 and A2 are located adjacent to and directly across from Terminal A, and B2 and C are closest to Terminals B and C.
Rate: $2 per hour up to $20 per 24-hour period
Off-Airport parking is available in various parking lots near the John Wayne Airport. Most of the off-site lots allow 24/7 access.
A variety of ground transportation options are available at John Wayne Airport conveniently connecting the Airport to surrounding hotels, tourist attractions, businesses, and residences.
The taxis service is available for travelers at the Ground Transportation Center on the Arrival (lower) Level between Terminals A and B. In Terminal C, Yellow Cabs are available on the Arrival (lower) Level at Column 14.
The rental cars counters are located on the Arrival (lower) Level, between Terminals A and B. Some of the well-known providers for car rentals include Alamo, Avis, Budget, etc.
Shuttle vans operated by private companies are a popular transportation option at SNA. Shuttle service is available on the Arrival (lower) Level in the Ground Transportation Center.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is a great option for traveling from SNA Airport. Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) Route 76, and the Shuttle, Route A, service SNA. The bus stop is located on the Arrival (lower) Level, curbside, in front of Terminal B. The nearest train stations are located in Irvine, Santa Ana, and Tustin.
Amenities & Services
John Wayne Airport provides a lot of amenities and services for visitors including.
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 18601 Airport Way, Santa Ana, CA 92707, USA
Phone: (949) 252 5200
John Wayne Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1923, the first airstrip on the grounds was constructed.
- In 1964 the airport was rebuilt, with its present two parallel runway configuration.
- In the 1950s, the only airline flights were Bonanza.
- On June 20, 1979, Orange County Airport was renamed John Wayne Airport.
- Remodeling added two passenger holding areas in 1974, a new baggage claim area in 1980, and a terminal annex building in 1982.
- In 1990, the Thomas F. Riley Terminal opened.
- In 2011, additional terminal space was added and existing terminals were refreshed as part of a $543 million expansion project.
- In June 2020, a name change was requested.
Q: Is John Wayne Airport the same as SNA?
A: Yes. While the official name is John Wayne Airport, it is also referred to by its IATA code SNA.
Q: What cities can I fly from SNA?
A: You can fly to many cities from SNA Airport. Please have a look at our direct flights page to see where you can fly.
Q: Where do I report for lost & found at John Wayne Airport?
A: If you lost an item at the airport, visit lost & found.
Q: Can I sleep at John Wayne Airport?
A: The airport remains open 24 hours a day and passengers are permitted to sleep inside the airport, and they can also stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome SNA layover ideas.
Transfer cancled tickets
Due to our age and the corona virus can we transfer [more]Billie Swails 06/07/2020
Anaheim Ducks Breakaway Bar & Grill
Food terrible, and SO overpriced.Hsc 04/09/2017
pop up ads
what a lousy site all you get are pop up ads I just w [more]kht60025 03/10/2016
Chapest public transportation
What is the cheapest way to get from SNA to the Woodl [more]Charlotte 05/17/2012