The Airport is located in the town of La Mercy, and is 35 km north of the city center of Durban, and borders on motorway M4 to the north, motorway R102 to the west, and the N2 freeway to the east of the Airport The Mdloti River is to the south. Direct access roads are the N2 freeway (pay toll) or the R102 road, with M65 linking N2 at exit 195 and R102 (between Verulam & Tongaat) to the Airport.
With a long runway and an estimated 5.0 million passengers per annum, King Shaka Airport is served by domestic and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
The state-of-the-art three-level passenger terminal at King Shaka International, located in the southern part of the Airport, encompasses 103,000 sq.meters accommodating up to 7.5 million passengers a year, and houses on the ground level Arrivals, on the first level Arrivals & Departures, and on the Mezzanine level retail concession and airline offices. The Departures level has a check-in concourse with 72 check-in counters, 18 self-service kiosks, and airline ticket offices.
As the Airport has a long-term development plan to be executed in stages and dependent on passenger need and economic outlook, many additional improvements and additions are to be expected.
The ACSA Help Desk can be contacted at 032-436-675; or you can call ACSA information (airport) at 032-436-6585.
Other amenities and services inside the passenger terminal include an Information desk, internet access, food & drink establishments, shops, newsstands, duty-free shops, banking & currency exchange (Standard & ABSA banks; ATM cash machines), rental car counters, 3 lounges, a pharmacy, internet access, first-aid station, prayer rooms, and more. For hotel accommodations and tourist information contact the KZN Tourism Kiosk at +27 (0)31 451 6666. Free WiFi is available for the first 50MB or for 30 minutes - whichever comes first.
Common-use SITA self-service check-in kiosks have been installed in all of South Africa's main airports.
Airline /Airport Lounges - located on level 2 of the Terminal, after security screening and accessible by escalators near the boarding gate entrances:
- BIDVest Premier Lounge is a pay-in lounge. The Premier Lounge is accessible to certain cardholders - inquire at the lounge or call +27 (0)32 436 7138.
- British Airways Slow Lounge (tel. +27 (0)32 436 7037/8).
- 'uMp(h)afa' Lounge is a pay-in lounge for international travelers (tel. +27 (0)32 436 6680).
- State Protocol Lounge can be contacted at tel. +27 (0)32 436 6453/54/55.
The consolidated rental car area is located on the southern side of the passenger terminal. For more information call the rental car client manager at 032 436 6034.
- Durban Shaka Airport became the first African airport to speed up the security process by implementing a smart security check-point with digitized security check process and enhancing security with state-of-the-art scanners.
- Durban Airport - following the success of Cape Town' - adopted membership in 'Cape Town Air Access'. (After joining 'Cape Town Air Access', Cape Town gained a 27 percent international flight increase at Cape Town Airport for the first half of 2017).
La Mercy, 4407
Phone: +27 32 436 6000