McGhee Tyson Airport is a public/military airport 12 miles south of Knoxville, in Alcoa, Blount County, Tennessee. It is named for United States Navy pilot Charles McGhee Tyson, who was killed in World War I.
TYS airport is owned by the Metropolitan Knoxville Airport Authority. TYS covers an area of 2,250 acres (911 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- Approximately 2,700 people are now employed at Tyson Airport.
- In November 2016, the agency that operates McGhee Tyson received a $27.9 million grant from the Federal Aviation Administration to complete the next phase of a multi-year runway expansion.
- TYS served more than 1 million passengers in 2017, making it the airport’s busiest year in its 80-year history.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Passengers are encouraged to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before their scheduled departure for domestic flights and 2.5 hours before international flights.
- The check-in area is at the upper level ticket counters in the departures section of the airport. A boarding pass or e-ticket is required to pass through the security screening checkpoint.
- For any queries, visit the information booth located on the first floor of the airport in the baggage claim area.
- Please refer to the TYS Airport Map before heading to the airport for a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- The pickup location at McGhee Tyson airport is located at the end of Terminal Loop Dr. in the green painted rideshare area.
- Also, while picking up passengers, visitors can use the Phone & Wait Lot for free. It is located along Airport Loop Road, and allows you to stay with your vehicle while you wait for your guest to arrive.
- Passengers visiting the airport for a flight can be dropped off on the departures level.
- The Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the McGhee Tyson Airport.
- The Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at TYS.
McGhee Tyson Airport Terminal has two levels - Upper Level and Lower Level.
The top level is accessed via the curbside drop off and the parking garage. It has ticket counters, security, gates, restaurants and shops.
The lower level of Tyson Airport Terminal is used for car rental counters, two baggage claims, airline offices, and airport offices.
To see the terminal location and for more information, please refer to the TYS Terminal Map here.
The various airlines served at McGhee Tyson Airport include American Eagle, Allegiant Air, Delta Connection, and more.
View the full list of airlines served at TYS here.
Short Term & Long-Term Parking
The short-term and long-term parking lot are a five-minute and ten-minute walk respectively to the airport terminal building. Short-term lot is the closest parking lot to the facility.
Short-Term: $20 per day
Long-Term: $14 per day
There are two different economy lots, both located behind the Airport Hilton. It is a fifteen-minute walk to the airport terminal building.
$10 per day
Passengers have many options for ground transportation after arriving at McGhee Tyson Airport. They can choose according to their requirement and convenience.
The Rental Car counters are located on the lower level of the airport terminal building near baggage claim. Counter hours vary based on the company.
Passengers have several options for taxi providers at TYS. 1-n-Only Airport Taxi, AAA Taxi, Discount Taxi, and more, are available at the airport.
The ride sharing pick-up location is located outside on the lower level of the terminal building, and as you exit the building, it will be directly to the right. Moreover, directional signs are available to assist passengers looking for their rideshare vehicle.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great stay, McGhee Tyson Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 2055 Alcoa Hwy, Alcoa, TN 37701, USA
Phone: (865) 342 3000
Tyson Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- On August 1, 1930 the original McGhee Tyson airport was opened.
- The development of TYS helped the City of Alcoa diversify its economy and gain its economic independence.
- In 1951, the United States Air Force built several facilities on the field.
- In 1961, with financing by the Tennessee Air National Guard, runway 5L was extended to 9,000 feet.
- In 1978, Metropolitan Knoxville Airport Authority (MKAA) was established.
- In 1968, McGhee Tyson built a new air cargo facility.
- In 1974, a new passenger terminal was opened.
- In 1992, the airport authority built a new 21-acre cargo facility on the north side of the airport.
- In 2000, improvements to the passenger terminal were finished at a cost of $70 million.
- In 2002 an aircraft maintenance facility was built for Northwest Airlines, serving as their primary CRJ MRO facility.
- In 2013, the Zia location was replaced with an Uno Express Pizza,
- In 2017, 168 aircraft were based at the airport.