Memphis Airport is an international civil-military airport. It is located 7 miles (11 km) southeast of downtown Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee.
MEM is owned and operated by the Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority. The airport has four runways and covers an area of 3,900 acres (1,600 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- Memphis Airport had the largest cargo operations of any airport worldwide, from the year 1993-2009.
- MEM airport is the busiest cargo airport in the United States and in the Western Hemisphere.
- Daily, the airport averages over 80 passenger flights.
- In 2019, Memphis Airport served more than 4 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The busy hours of the airport include
- Morning: 5:00 am - 6:00 am
- Evening: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- For an international flight, passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours before the departure time, and for a domestic flight, 2 hours before the departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, please have a look at the MEM Airport map.
- To ensure a smooth check-in process, passengers should pack carry-on luggage in a suitable manner, have photo ID ready, and read all the airline guidelines properly prior to arriving at the airport.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- For dropping-off passengers to depart on a flight, the departure area is on the paper-level drive. After reaching the airport, follow the ‘Ticketing’ overhead signs to the terminal, and just take the right lanes on the upper level.
- For picking up passengers, visitors can use the cell phone waiting area. It features a continually-updated flight information display and is at a short distance from the terminals.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Memphis Airport.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at MEM.
Memphis Airport comprises of 1 terminal, and 3 concourses. In 2021, all the flights will consolidate to Concourse A and B. For additional information, and to see the terminal location, please refer to the MEM Terminal Map.
Concourse A- 9 Gates.
Concourse B - 42 Gates
Concourse C - 18 Gates
Memphis Airport serves several airlines including Southern Airways Express, Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection, Frontier Airlines, American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and more. View the full list of airlines served.
Short Term & Long-Term Parking
There are many options for parking at MEM - daily, hourly, long-term, etc.
- Short-term parking is on the ground level of the 3-story parking facility and can be directly accessed from the terminal.
- First 30 minutes - Free
- 24-hour maximum - $24
- Long-Term Parking at MEM Airport offers a myriad of convenient parking spaces. To access this parking option, just follow the Long Term signs to your left when you’re coming to the airport and take the first left exit past the 7-level Economy Parking Structure.
- First 30 minutes - Free
- 24-hour maximum - $15
Off-Airport parking is available in various parking lots near the Memphis Airport. Most of the off-site lots allow 24/7 access.
From rental cars to limos to buses, and more, passengers have a variety of ground transportation options after arriving at the airport. Additionally, many passengers also opt for ride services such as Taxis, Uber, and Lyft.
Rental Car services at Memphis Airport are located in the Ground Transportation Center. Some of the well-known providers for car rentals include Alamo, Enterprise, Hertz, Budget, plus more.
Limo & Taxis
Taxis are located in front of the Concourse B baggage claim area. The center commercial drive is used by Limos. Service for luxury limousines must be prearranged and coordinated with the companies.
Buses & Trains
Public Transportation is one of the most economical options for traveling to all major nearby locations. The public bus stop is located at the baggage claim level. On the outer drive, passengers can look for MATA City Bus sign overhead.
Many shuttle services to and from Memphis Airport are available in the baggage claim area near the exits. It can be used to travel to nearby areas.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great stay, Memphis Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
- Meditation Room.
Address: 2491 Winchester Rd, Memphis, TN 38116, USA
Phone: (901) 922 8000
Memphis Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1929, Memphis Municipal Airport opened on a 200-acre plot of farmland just over 7 miles from downtown Memphis.
- In its early years, the airport had 3 hangars and an unpaved runway.
- In 1957, April, OAG showed 64-weekday departures.
- In 1963, June, the current terminal was opened.
- In 1969, the airport name was changed to Memphis International Airport.
- In 1973, Federal Express began operations in Memphis.
- In 1974, the terminal was expanded, adding 2 new concourses.
- In 2008, MEM began expanding its control tower and parking garages.
- In 2014 the Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority announced a planned $114 million renovation of the airport.
- In 2018, April, Delta Air Lines moved to the A Concourse and Allegiant Air to the C Concourse.
- In 2018, September, construction began on Concourse B and is expected to be completed in 2021.
Q: Is Memphis International Airport the same as MEM?
A: Yes. While the official name is Memphis International Airport, it is also referred to by its IATA code MEM.
Q: What cities can I fly from MEM?
A: You can fly to many cities from MEM Airport. Please have a look at our direct flights plage to see where you can fly.
Q: How far is the Memphis International Airport from downtown Memphis?
A: The airport is located 7 miles (11 km) southeast of downtown Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee.
Q: Can I sleep at Memphis International Airport?
A: The airport remains open 24 hours a day and passengers are permitted to sleep inside the airport, and they can also stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome MEM layover ideas.
Q: I have a child traveling alone. What do I have to do to ensure their safety?
A: All children under the age of 15 must have a meet and assist arrangement with their carrier. For details, you can contact your airline.
Airline I go to for departure
What airline do I go to for my flight that I booked t [more]Geraldiner 08/28/2020
Handicapped passenger assistance
Who do I contact to arrange for legally blind passeng [more]Pam 02/13/2020
Concern of getting scammed
Can I buy a ticket for someone in another country and [more]Philip 01/22/2020
golf cartsl ike in MSP airport
Do you have golf cart - type vehicles in the Memphis [more]Jerry 11/01/2019