Oakland Airport OAK
Oakland Airport is an international airport in Oakland, California. It is owned and operated by the Port of Oakland. It is one of three international airports within the San Francisco Bay Area.
The airport is about 10 miles (16 km) south of Downtown Oakland and across from San Francisco on the other side of San Francisco Bay. It covers an area of 2,600 acres (1,100 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- OAK is the third-largest airport in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- In 2008, Oakland Airport completed its $300 million Terminal Improvement Program.
- In 2019, more than 13 million people traveled through OAK.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The busy hours of the airport are in the evening between 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm.
- To account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays, passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours before an international flight departure, and for a domestic flight, 2 hours before the departure.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, please have a look at the OAK Airport map.
- To get through the security hassle-free, adult passengers (18+) are required to show U.S. Federal or State-issued photo identification in order to pass through the checkpoint and onto their flight.
- Nearing the airport, tune into TIPS Radio 1700AM for current airport traffic, parking availability and security information.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- For passenger pickup and drop-off at Terminal 1, the right lanes are to be used, and for Terminal 2, left lanes are to be used.
- Also, the meeters and greeters can wait in the cell phone lot for free up to 30 minutes. Call lot was created as customer service for people who can connect with their arriving traveler by cell phone.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Oakland Airport.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at OAK.
The OAK Airport has 2 terminals - T1 and T2. The terminals are connected at post-security and gate areas, enabling arriving passengers to go straight to their connecting flights without having to re-enter the security check.
To see the terminal location, and for more information, please refer to the OAK Terminal Map.
The ground level at Terminal 1 houses the baggage claim area, customs, and most of the ticket counters. At Level 2 there’s a security check with access to gates 1-17, and gates 1 & 3 are international gates.
Terminal 2 has a baggage claim area and ticketing desks, with a security checkpoint in the center and access to gates 20-25 and gates 26-32.
The various airlines served by Oakland Airport include Southwest Airlines, Alaska Airlines, JSX, Delta Connection, Allegiant Air, and more.
There are various options for parking at Oakland Airport.
Premiere Parking Lot
It is the closest and most convenient parking option at OAK and is located directly across from the terminals.
Hourly Rate: $4 per 30 minutes
24-hour Rate: $38 Daily Maximum
Hourly Parking Lot
After the Premiere Lot, the closest proximity to the terminals for short-term parking is the Hourly Lot.
Hourly Rate: $1 per 12 minutes
Day Rate: $34 Daily Maximum
Off-Airport parking is available in various parking lots near the Oakland Airport. Most of the off-site lots allow 24/7 access.
From taxis to limos, rental cars to shuttles to busses, and OAK’s new Bay Area Rapid Transit station, passengers have plenty of options for ground transportation after arriving at the airport.
Limo & Taxis
For passengers willing to travel via taxis and limos can find the same outside the airport. Taxis depart from designated taxi zones located at both Terminal 1 and 2 airport curbside. They can choose the one that best suits their requirement and convenience.
Rental Car services at Oakland Airport is open 24 hours a day. Travelers should check with their car rental agency's reservation center for hours of operation at OAK. Some of the well-known providers for car rentals include Alamo, Avis, Hertz, Budget, plus more.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is one of the most economical options to travel from Oakland Airport. Passengers can take BART to avoid sitting in Bay Area traffic. BART trains connect Oakland International Airport with downtown San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, and many other Bay Area destinations. During most hours, trains depart every 6 minutes from OAK.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great stay, Oakland Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
- Escape Lounge.
Address: 1 Airport Dr, Oakland, CA 94621, USA
Phone: (510) 563 3300
Oakland Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- On September 17, 1927, The airport was dedicated by Charles Lindbergh.
- In 1943 the U.S. Armed Forces temporarily took over OAK Airport and opened Naval Air Station Oakland.
- In 1962, Oakland Airport's first Jet Age terminal (now Terminal 1) was opened, and it was designed by John Carl Warnecke & Associates.
- In the 1990s, Southwest Airlines opened a crew base in Oakland.
- In 2004, Oakland International Airport began a $300 million expansion and renovation project.
- In November 2014, a long-proposed extension of the BART system to the airport was opened.
- In May 2015 Oakland International Airport's Moving Modern program construction commenced a $100 million renovation of the Terminal 1 complex.
- Between mid-2018 through early 2020, OAK has both lost and it was losing several domestic and international nonstop routes.
Q: Is Oakland International Airport the same as OAK?
A: Yes. While the official name is Oakland International Airport, it is also referred to by its IATA code OAK.
Q: What cities can I fly from OAK?
A: You can fly to many cities from OAK Airport. Please have a look at our direct flights page to see where you can fly.
Q: How far is the Oakland International Airport from downtown Oakland?
A: The airport is about 10 miles (16 km) south of Downtown Oakland.
Q: Can I sleep at Oakland International Airport?
A: Connecting passengers with an overnight layover may remain overnight in the terminal’s pre-security only. Since the airport is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, law enforcement officers are always on-site and you may be asked to show your identification and proof of travel. We also recommend these awesome OAK layover ideas.
Q: Are there any lockers or storage facilities at Oakland International Airport?
A: No. The Oakland International Airport does not have lockers or other storage facilities.
Economy Parking terminal 2
How close is terminal 2 from economy parking, can I w [more]Jane Penrose 02/19/2020
TSA Precheck terminal 2
I will be flying SouthWest on a Tuesday afternoon on [more]Jane Penrose 02/19/2020
1:30 enough time for connection Terminal 1 ?
Will be flying DELTA from SEA (7am) to OAK (4pm) Term [more]Max 09/14/2019
Lost and found
Do you have a web site to go to that shows photos of [more]Sandra G Tucker 07/08/2019