Oakland Airport is an international airport in Oakland, California. It is owned and operated by the Port of Oakland. It is one of three international airports within the San Francisco Bay Area. The airport is about 10 miles (16 km) south of Downtown Oakland and across from San Francisco on the other side of San Francisco Bay. It covers an area of 2,600 acres (1,100 ha).
More detailed information about the airport can be found below.
Airport Stats & Facts
- OAK is the third-largest airport in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- In 2008, Oakland Airport completed its $300 million Terminal Improvement Program.
- In 2019, more than 13 million people traveled through OAK.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The busy hours of the airport are in the evening between 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm.
- To account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays, passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours before an international flight departure, and for a domestic flight, 2 hours before the departure.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, please have a look at the OAK Airport map.
- To get through the security hassle-free, adult passengers (18+) are required to show U.S. Federal or State-issued photo identification in order to pass through the checkpoint and onto their flight.
- Nearing the airport, tune into TIPS Radio 1700AM for current airport traffic, parking availability and security information.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- For passenger pickup and drop-off at Terminal 1, the right lanes are to be used, and for Terminal 2, left lanes are to be used.
- Also, the meters and greeters can wait in the cell phone lot for free up to 30 minutes. Call lot was created as customer service for people who can connect with their arriving traveler by cell phone.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Oakland Airport.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at OAK.
The OAK Airport has 2 terminals - T1 and T2. The terminals are connected at post-security and gate areas, enabling arriving passengers to go straight to their connecting flights without having to re-enter the security check.
To see the terminal location, and for more information, please refer to the OAK Terminal Map.
The ground level at Terminal 1 houses the baggage claim area, customs, and most of the ticket counters. At Level 2 there’s a security check with access to gates 1-17, and gates 1 & 3 are international gates.
Terminal 2 has a baggage claim area and ticketing desks, with a security checkpoint in the center and access to gates 20-25 and gates 26-32.
The various airlines served by Oakland Airport include Southwest Airlines, Alaska Airlines, JSX, Delta Connection, Allegiant Air, and more.
There are various options for parking at Oakland Airport.
Premiere Parking Lot
It is the closest and most convenient parking option at OAK and is located directly across from the terminals.
Hourly Rate: $4 per 30 minutes
24-hour Rate: $38 Daily Maximum
Hourly Parking Lot
After the Premiere Lot, the closest proximity to the terminals for short-term parking is the Hourly Lot.
Hourly Rate: $1 per 12 minutes
Day Rate: $34 Daily Maximum
Off-Airport parking is available in various parking lots near the Oakland Airport. Most of the off-site lots allow 24/7 access.
From taxis to limos, rental cars to shuttles to busses, and OAK’s new Bay Area Rapid Transit station, passengers have plenty of options for ground transportation after arriving at the airport.
Limo & Taxis
For passengers willing to travel via taxis and limos can find the same outside the airport. Taxis depart from designated taxi zones located at both Terminal 1 and 2 airport curbside. They can choose the one that best suits their requirement and convenience.
Rental Car services at Oakland Airport is open 24 hours a day. Travelers should check with their car rental agency's reservation center for hours of operation at OAK. Some of the well-known providers for car rentals include Alamo, Avis, Hertz, Budget, plus more.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is one of the most economical options to travel from Oakland Airport. Passengers can take BART to avoid sitting in Bay Area traffic. BART trains connect Oakland International Airport with downtown San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, and many other Bay Area destinations. During most hours, trains depart every 6 minutes from OAK.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great stay, Oakland Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
- Escape Lounge.
Address: 1 Airport Dr, Oakland, CA 94621, USA
Phone: (510) 563 3300
Oakland Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- On September 17, 1927, The airport was dedicated by Charles Lindbergh.
- In 1943 the U.S. Armed Forces temporarily took over OAK Airport and opened Naval Air Station Oakland.
- In 1962, Oakland Airport's first Jet Age terminal (now Terminal 1) was opened, and it was designed by John Carl Warnecke & Associates.
- In the 1990s, Southwest Airlines opened a crew base in Oakland.
- In 2004, Oakland International Airport began a $300 million expansion and renovation project.
- In November 2014, a long-proposed extension of the BART system to the airport was opened.
- In May 2015 Oakland International Airport's Moving Modern program construction commenced a $100 million renovation of the Terminal 1 complex.
- Between mid-2018 through early 2020, OAK has both lost and it was losing several domestic and international nonstop routes.
I want to cancel a flight
Asked by Joetta - Sat, 22 October
You will need to contact your airline directly to cancel a flight.
Lost my sunglasses at southwest outside skycap service. How do I get a phone number or in touch with that skycap service
Asked by Erik - Fri, 7 October
There isn't a number directly to Skycap. The airport does have a Lost & Found form you can fill out regarding your sunglasses.
How do you get from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 and how long does it take?
Asked by Kathy - Wed, 28 September
Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are connected but we would recommend allowing some time as it's not a straight walk from one to the other.
How long does it take to walk from Terminal 1, Gate 4 to Terminal 2 Gate 31?
Asked by GCMR - Tue, 6 September
There is a large amount of space between these two stops so we would allow at least 30-45 minutes.
How long does it take to go from Southwest arriving to Hawaiian departure?
Asked by Wade - Tue, 12 July
Southwest Airlines is located in Terminal 2 and Hawaiian Airlines is located in Terminal 1 so you will definitely want to give yourself plenty of time to get from one to the other. Will also depend on what time of day you are traveling.
How much to park in handicap parking?
Asked by Janet H. Espinoza - Fri, 17 June
There are dedicated handicap parking spaces in all lots. The same rates apply as regular parking spaces and range depending on dates.
What are the open hours for the business center? Are there any fees to use the business center? Is wi-fi available for use or purchase?
Asked by Allison - Mon, 6 June
We didn't find a business center located at this airport.
What is the address of this airport?
Asked by KP - Sat, 14 May
The address is: 1 Airport Dr, Oakland, CA 94621
Does terminal one have its own baggage claim area?
Asked by Annette L Harvey - Sat, 23 April
There are two Terminals, each with their own baggage claim.
Where is the cityhealth COVID test ?
Asked by BIPIN - Sat, 23 April
The airport no longer seems to offer this service anymore. However, there are many COVID testing options near the airport.
Are baggage carts available in baggage claim that can be used to carry bags to the Airport's BART station entrance and left there?
Asked by Craig Lambert - Sat, 16 April
The BART station located just across from the Terminal 1 baggage claim area and a short walk from Terminal 2. We could not confirm that there is a place to return baggage carts there.
Where is baggage claim?
Asked by Rick - Sat, 16 April
It's located on Level 1. After de-boarding your plane, follow signs for Baggage Claim. If you are meeting a passenger there, you can easily find it on Level 1.
Are there pet relief areas?
Asked by Kea - Sat, 9 April
Yes - there is an Animal Relief Area located across from Gate 25.
What time do the coffee shops open in terminal 2?
Asked by Carlene Wolfe - Tue, 5 April
Peetes Cofee, located near Gate 22, opens at 4:30am.
Is Handicap parking free?
Asked by Ali Recio - Fri, 18 March
When do the buses to the Car Rental Facilities operate?
Asked by Kea Paddy - Tue, 15 March
From 4:00am through 1:00pm, the shuttle to the Car Rental Facility runs at least every seven minutes. After airline operation hours, the buses runs on call
How do I get a wheelchair?
Asked by Kea Paddy - Mon, 7 March
Wheelchairs are at the curbside only at Southwest Airlines in Terminal 2. In Terminal 1, the airlines provide the service at the ticket counters. The airport suggests you contact your airline prior to your flight, though it's not required.
Is there a service fee to check-in luggage at the curb?
Asked by Gayle - Mon, 28 February
No, there is no additional fee to check-in luggage curbside, however, it is customary to tip the curbside attendants.