Overview of Airport
Philadelphia Airport, also known as its airport code PHL is an important east coast airport that serves the greater Philadelphia region. This airport is used by over 30 million passengers annually. The airport PHL ranks twenty on the list of the busiest in the United States. This airport is located 7 miles from Philadelphia.
Statistics and Facts
There are approximately 500 daily departures and 25 airlines flying to approx 40 international and 100 domestic destinations, giving you a total of about 140 destination options to fly to.
Philadelphia International Airport served more than 30,000,000 passengers in 2019, before Covid. It employs about 20, 000 personnel, including gate agents, security, baggage handlers, and aircraft ground crews.The airport comprises 7 terminals/concourses, with 126 gates and jetways
In the State of Pennsylvania, PHL Airport is the largest airport. American airlines rank the airport fifth in terms of its hub size.PHL employs over 16,000 workers from ticket agents to ground operations, to security and air traffic control.
· You must arrive at the airport 2 hours before your domestic flight to ensure that you do not miss your flight. The suggested arrival time to the airport for international travelers is 3 hours.
· All terminals at PHL are connected, so you can walk between them.
· You may sleep in any public areas, or at the airline boarding areas.
· If flying Southwest, Jetblue, or Frontier from terminal E during peak times, walk over to terminal F as the check-in lines for security are shorter.
· To get a feel of where the Philadelphia airport gates, airlines and amenities are located and how to get around, check out the Philadelphia terminal map.
Important Notice: Philadelphia International Airport will pilot a program to use biometric exit screening technologies.
Passenger Pickup and Drop off
The Philadelphia Airport premises have a cell phone waiting area where motorists can pick up passengers.
It is recommended that drivers park their cars in the lot, which is about a five-minute drive from the airport.
- For arriving flights: PHL Arriving Flight Status provides airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: PHL Departing Flight Status shows actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and airport gate info.
- To check for the best fares from Philadelphia airport, book a flight at PHL
There are a total of seven terminal buildings within the Philadelphia airport. Within these there are 7 concourses, and 124 gates at the airport. If you want to check out additional information or terminal locations, you can refer to the Philadelphia Airport terminal map.
· Terminal A-West: There are a total of thirteen gates that are present at this terminal. The gates have a sequence from A14 to A26.
· Terminal A-East: In the existing terminal, the American Airlines functions. There are a total of 11 gates at this terminal, ranging from A2 to A13.
· Terminal B and C: Both of these terminals are used by American Airlines. There is also a food court present between the terminals. A famous shopping mall is also present here.
· Terminal D: serves, Air Canada, Delta Air Lines, and United Airlines, and Alaska Airlines
· Terminal E: There are a total of 17 gates that are present at this terminal.
· Terminal F: There are 38 gates at this terminal.
There are a total of 25 airlines currently running from the Philadelphia airport. The dominant carrier is American Airlines.
Here is the complete list of the airlines serving the Philadelphia airport.
There are three parking options at the Philadelphia airport: short-term parking, garage parking, and the economy parking facilities. You cannot park your vehicles overnight in the short term parking.
The ground level of the parking is only available for terminal A and F.
Here are the rates of short-term parking.
Garage and MasterCard Parking
There are charging stations at the Philadelphia airport. Click here to get adequate information about the charging stations.
Passengers arriving at the airport have a few options to reach their next destination, including train, bus and taxis services. Moreover, passengers may choose the option of hiring rides from the car rentals that are present with them.
· Train: SEPTA provides frequent and good transportation through trains between the airport and Philadelphia. There is a halt of the train at every terminal, excluding terminal A west. You can check here more information about the services.
· Bus: Top quality bus services are there on three routes from Philadelphia airport. SEPTA makes sure to provide passengers the directions of their choices. Moreover, vast numbers of Airport bus services.
· Taxi: If you are looking for the fastest means of transport among all of them, taxis can be the right option. The rides are available at an economical cost and will save a lot of time. You can locate taxis from zone 5 of the commercial transportation roadway.
If you want to know more information, you can visit our ground transportation tips page.
Amenities and Services
For making your stay comfortable and fun, the Philadelphia airport provides you enough services and amenities that include:
· Bars and Restaurants
· Charging Stations
· Mother’s Nursing Rooms
· Wi-Fi and Art Exhibitions
Address: 8000 Essington Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19153, United States
Phone: +1 215-937-6937
TSA’s Lost and Found at the Airport:
Email: [email protected]
Philadelphia Airport: A Brief History Timeline
· The current location of the airport was in use as the training airfield of the Pennsylvania National Guard in the year 1925.
· The airport came into use by the United States Army and Air Forces during the world war. It was then in use as the first air force training airfield.
· During the years of 1970, 1973, and 1977, with total costs of $310 million, Terminals B, C, D, and E were completed
· Numerous airline hubs have been at the Philadelphia airport. During the years of the 1980s, US Airways came out as a significant carrier before being merged into United.
How long to get from Terminal A to Terminal F?
Asked by Anthony - Thu, 19 May
To walk from Terminal A to Terminal F is about 1.3 miles (approximately 30 minutes). You can also take the free shuttle bus which will only take around 5 minutes once it departs.
How do I get from the Marriott to Terminal A Gate 23?
Asked by Anne Marie De - Thu, 5 May
Where are the smoking areas in the arrival section?
Asked by Robert - Fri, 8 April
Smoking is unfortunately not permitted anywhere on airport grounds.
What's the phone number for baggage pick up lost bags recovery?
Asked by kathleen - Tue, 5 April
You must contact your airline directly for any lost luggage issues. Best of luck!
Can you check in for an American flight in both B and C terminals?
Asked by Nancy - Sun, 13 March
American operates out of multiple terminals at this airport, but you should check in at the terminal that your flight leaves from. Please check with American on where your flight departs from.
We are planning a 6 day trip down to Orlando is there long term parking at the airport ?
Asked by Shawn Evans - Sat, 12 March
Are the Minute suites open and what is the cost?
Asked by Mary - Wed, 23 February
Minute Suites is currently closed for renovations. Please check back later for hours or operation.
What terminal for departing american airlines flights?
Asked by Richard Caspersen - Tue, 15 February
American operates out of Terminal A-East, B/C and Terminal F at this airport.
I have to pick up someone coming on a Delta flight on Terminal D and other person on AA coming on Terminal B. Is the baggage collection area same or different? can you walk from one collection area to the another?
Asked by Navin - Sun, 6 February
Arriving at Terminal F. Where do I go to pick up the shuttle?
Asked by Diane - Fri, 4 February
The free shuttle connecting Terminal F F with Terminals A, B, C, D, & E is found directly outside Terminal F's arrivals level. They run about 20 mins apart, so you may want to consider walking if your departing terminal is close.
Which Terminal will my PSA Airlines leave from tomorrow evening?
Asked by Sheila Mary Knight - Sun, 30 January
As being part of American Airlines, PSA Airlines uses American's Terminal F for flight departures and arrivals.
How early can i enter the airport for my 6:00 AM flight?
Asked by Tess Eichenberger - Tue, 1 February
Can you check-in for an American Airlines flight to Cancun in terminal A?
Asked by Thomas Morrison - Thu, 27 January
Flights operated by American Airlines depart from Terminal A. Check-in, baggage check, and ticketing kiosks are located within terminal A's East and West areas.
Where is parking for terminal D?
Asked by Michael - Sun, 23 January
Parking for Terminal D is located directly across terminal C-D, and can be accessed from the main service road off I95, or by crossing over from the Terminal C-D area to the lot.
Can I print documents at airport from my laptop?Covid test results.
Asked by Kishore - Mon, 17 January
Located between Terminal A-to-B connector, you may print documents at the UPS store there.
Walk time between Gate F20 and Gate B6?
Asked by Clarissa Shaffer - Thu, 13 January
Does American Airlines have a check in station at terminal A
Asked by Tom - Sun, 9 January
Yes. American Airlines operates out of terminal A, but also B, C, & F. You may check-in for your flight depending on which terminal your departure is from.
How to go from gate F39 to gate B7 eith about 1h20 connection time?
Asked by Roland Rama - Sat, 1 January
How do I pick up someone arriving at terminal E after they pick up luggage?
Asked by Art Barrett - Sat, 1 January
Your best bet is to wait at the cell phone parking lot, then when your passenger arrives have them call or text you, then proceed to the Arrivals area.
What airlines are served in Terminal B (adjacent to the Marriott Hotel)?
Asked by John - Wed, 29 December
Where can I park for Terminal F?
Asked by Gerard marhefka - Sun, 28 November
Which terminal is for Southwest arrivals?
Asked by kathleen dalin - Sun, 21 November
Coming in terminal baggage claim 10, where should Uber be told to go for pick up?
Asked by June Pongia - Wed, 17 November
At this airport, ride share app (including Uber) pick-up zones are located are located outside of each Baggage Claim area on S. Commercial Road. Just exit the baggage claim and follow the signs to ride share zone.
Is there long term parking on site?
Asked by Pedro - Wed, 3 November
Economy Parking is currently closed. We apologize for any inconvenience. Parking is available offsite at several private short and long-term lots located in close proximity to the airport. Operators provide shuttles to/from the for patrons.
How long does it take to walk from the domestic American gates to the International American gates?
Asked by Eileen - Mon, 1 November
We are leaving from terminal F.Can we be dropped off at terminal F and check bag there and go through security there?
Asked by Carol - Mon, 1 November
I’m flying out of terminal F with only carry on luggage. Is there security checkpoint at that terminal or do I need to go to the central terminal for security?
Asked by Curtis - Sun, 31 October
Arriving from Turks and Caicos, and then flying to PVD. Do we have to move our bags or will the airline take care of that? We are flying American
Asked by Pauline - Fri, 29 October
Is there a designated smoking area?
Asked by Justine - Thu, 28 October
Taking train to Philadelphia airport. Going to terminal F. Does the train stop there?
Asked by Diane - Sat, 23 October
Do you have business centers to make a private call?
Asked by Courtney - Mom - Wed, 20 October
What does it cost to rent a baggage cart?
Asked by lance kocontes - Wed, 20 October
Flying American Airlines 6074 out of terminal F tomorrow. Can bags be checked curbside?
Asked by Jim - Sun, 17 October
Who operates baggage cart vending $5 machines at airport?
Asked by Valerie - Sat, 16 October
Is sidewalk check in available?
Asked by Ashok B Patel - Fri, 15 October
Where is Zone 6 in terminal E to pick up my Delaware Express Shutttle ride?
Asked by Helane - Thu, 14 October
Can I walk from Terminal C to Terminal F?
Asked by patty ann - Thu, 14 October
When I land in Philadelphia from Hartford on American Airlines I need to get my bag and then depart with Alaska Airlines. It looks like I will land in terminal A or B (probably B) so wonder how to get to D to check my bag without having to go through TSA again? Can I just go back up into terminal B and walk through to D? I read on the map that there is a post security walkway.
Asked by June Shirey - Sat, 9 October
I am coming into FLL from Las Vegas on American. They said I have to change terminals to get to my next flight on American Eagle which comes into 2 possible terminals. If I have to get to Terminal F how do u get there?
Asked by Patricia DeRose - Wed, 6 October
What terminals does American Airlines fly into and out of for domestic flights?
Asked by Cathy - Sun, 3 October
What is the walk time between gates A-west and Terminal F?
Asked by Brian - Sat, 2 October
Walk time is approx. 22 min. Head out into Terminal A main area, turn right and continue down walkway, walk past Terminal B and Terminal C, continue into another walkway, turn left, then take next right, continue past Terminal E into another walkway, go through security and customs, enter Terminal F.
is there a store that sells Rowan Univeristy sweatshirts?
Asked by Jan Peake - Fri, 1 October
What level is the skybridge to the Marriott hotel?
Asked by Richard Lasiewski - Thu, 30 September
Where is zone 6 located on map for Terminal A?
Asked by MARY ANN ANN SCHILIRO - Thu, 30 September
Have a question about Philadelphia Airport?
Philadelphia Airport Q&A
On airport parking at PHL airport can range from $24 to $44 per day, depending on the lot you use. Off-airport PHL parking is almost always more affordable with rates at $10/day or less.