John Glenn Columbus International Airport is situated close to the city of Columbus, Ohio. It is a public International Airport, which is discernible from its current name. Its IATA Airport Code is CMH, owed to its original name that is ‘Columbus Municipal Hangar.’
CMH is located 6 miles (9.7 km) east of downtown Columbus. Its title has undergone changes more than once. Prior to 2016, it was known as Port Columbus International Airport, but was then renamed in honor of astronaut and four-term U.S. senator John Glenn. CMH is also a travel option for Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Wheeling residents.
The airport is equipped with two asphalt runways and covers a total area of about 2,265 acres (916.613 ha). The Columbus Regional Airport Authority oversees passenger air service operations at CMH.
Airport Stats & Facts
- The airport’s elevation above mean sea level (AMSL) is 815 ft or 248 m.
- It operates 148 non-stop flights to 40 destinations via 10 airlines on a regular, daily basis.
- The airport serves more than 7 million travelers every year.
- It ranked third on Airports Council International’s Air Service Quality ranking for 2017, released in 2018.
Airport Traveling Tips
- While the airport is open 24/7, the security checkpoints open at 4.15 am (0415 hrs).
- The airport is usually at its busiest from 9 am (09:00 hrs) to 6 pm (18:00 hrs) every day. Increased traffic is noted in the afternoon from 12 pm (12:00 hrs) to 3 pm (15:00 hrs).
- It is ideal to arrive at least 2 hours before a domestic flight, and 3 hours before an international one. Make sure to check the average security wait times for a better estimate.
- Check for any possible delays in order to take them into account when estimating the time.
- Study the airport map beforehand, and also keep it in an accessible location for on-ground reference.
- Take into account the items that are prohibited, in Check-In and Carry-On luggage.
Passenger Pick-Up and Drop-Off
- The Cell Phone Lot is the closest parking for those who require a quick pick-up or drop-off. It offers its services without any costs.
- Arriving Flight Status: Flight Arrivals tracks the status of all flights arriving into John Glenn Columbus Airport.
- Departing Flight Status: Flight Departures can be used to gather information on all flights departing from the airport.
- Delays: Airport Delays shows the current ground delays, airport closures, and ground stops faced by the airport and other flights.
- Flights can be searched and booked at best fares and deals can be availed here.
The Main Terminal at CMH comprises three concourses, namely A, B and C.
Concourses A and C are located south of the ticketing level. A is towards the right and C is towards the left. They are accessible through individual security checkpoints.
Concourse B is located north of the ticketing level towards the center. It can be accessed from either side.
- The ticketing level of the main terminal has 9 check-in desks. It also offers a wide range of amenities and services.
- Concourse A: Gates A1-A6
- Concourse B: Gates B17-B36
- Concourse C: Gates C46-C56
- Gate C46 is for International Arrivals with Customs nearby.
- The terminal is equipped with high-speed WiFi services.
Refer to the Terminal Map for more information.
John Glenn Columbus International Airport includes a diverse mix of air carriers. These include well known airlines such as Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, and others.
The full list of airlines served by the airport can be found here.
The airport caters to the needs of people who require parking facilities. This includes a six-story parking garage. The Airport Parking Map provides a bird’s eye view of the available options.
Short and Long-Term Parking
Parking options include short-term and long-term parking, as well as valet parking and bicycle parking. All options are handicapped-friendly. The key features are as follows:
- Short-Term Garage is located on level 4 of the airport parking garage. The charges include $5 for the first hour and each additional hour costs another $3. The daily limit is $30.
- Long-Term Garage is located on levels 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the airport parking garage. The charges are similar to those of the short-term garage, with the limit being $20 instead.
Certain offsite parking facilities are also situated nearby and can be used as per convenience. These include OhPark and Park With The Shark. Both of them are located on Stelzer Road.
There are multiple ground transport options to choose from. These include taxis, shuttle services, buses, rentals, amongst others. The airport is directly accessible by taking exit number 9 on Interstate 670 to International Gateway.
Various major car rental agencies can be found at their counters in the Arrivals area of CMH airport. They include agencies such as Thrifty, Hertz, Enterprise, to name a few.
John Glenn International Airport has color-coded shuttles which operate economically and also provide door-to-door transportation. Singh Transportation, Arch Express, Columbus Transportation & Tours are some of them.
Public transportation is provided at CMH airport.
- Public COTA buses by COTA AirConnect (white and brown buses) are a direct connection between the Airport and downtown Columbus. COTA operates throughout central Ohio.
- The GoBus to Athens is another bus service. It stops at the curb outside of baggage claim on the lower level.
Amenities & Services
John Glenn International Airport serves its customers with a wide range of amenities and comfort options. The following amenities and services can be availed at the airport:
- Information Desks
- Lost and Found cell
- Nursing Rooms
- Meditation Room
- High speed WiFi
- Currency Exchange Service
- Art Exhibits and Mosaics
Address: John Glenn Columbus International Airport, 4600 International Gateway, Columbus, Ohio 43219
John Glenn Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- The airport was originally known as Columbus Municipal Hangar.
- The airport was established on 8th July 1929, on a site selected by Charles Lindbergh.
- Between 1998 and 2000, numerous airport expansion and renovation projects were completed.
- In 2013, a runway renovation was completed with a budget of $140 million which moved the southern runway farther from the northern runway.
- On May 25, 2016, the Ohio General Assembly passed a bill to rename the airport from Port Columbus International Airport to its current name.
Asked by Joseph - Tue, 3 May
Please contact your airline directly for assistance with lost luggage. Good luck!
Is there a delta airline lounge?
Asked by Daniel - Sun, 17 April
No, there is no Delta lounge at this airport.
What's the Baggage Center phone number?
Asked by Tim Hedges - Thu, 7 April
For baggage services, call 303-390-9067. We also recommend contacting your airline directly with any baggage issues.
Has the green lot reopened?
Asked by John - Tue, 5 April
Yes the green parking lot is currently open.
Had to stay in DFW for medical reason and didn't make the connecting flight but my bags did. How can I get them back?
Asked by throck robertson - Mon, 28 March
Please contact your airline directly regarding any lost luggage. Good luck!
What are the shuttle hours?
Asked by Thomas Orville Wharton - Thu, 10 March
Our baggage arrived without us, we had to take a different flight.
Asked by Renee penrod - Wed, 2 March
Please contact your airline directly about delayed or missing baggage. Good luck!
Is taxi service available after 9pm?
Asked by lin - Wed, 23 February
Yes, taxi service is available 24 hours a day.
Can I use a credit card to pay long term parking?
Asked by Bob Hill - Fri, 18 February
Yes, you can pay with a credit card to pay for long-term parking. They accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA.
Is the skycap service currently operational? If so are there specific hours of operation?
Asked by Charles Civiletto - Thu, 10 February
Skycap service is located curbside at the north and south entranceways as well as on the baggage claim level, and service is available for all departing airlines and flights.