Airport Maps & Terminal Guide
Getting Around the Airport
The passenger terminal complex at San Diego International Airport (SAN) consists of two active passenger terminals - T1 & T2, which are next to each other connected by pedestrian walkways.
In order to make it easier for passengers to get around the airport, shuttles run between the parking lots and the two airport terminals around the clock at regular intervals. However, parking lots can also be accessed via pedestrian bridges and crosswalks.
Terminal 1 at San Diego Airport consists of carousels for baggage claim located at the center of the terminal. In order to reach these carousels there are clear signs leading up to the carousel at the ground floor of the terminal. There are kiosks for the storage of your luggage as well located within T1 which are made available to passengers for a specific cost.
To get better oriented, see the San Diego Airport Terminal 1 Map.
Bank of America ATMs for use by Bank of America customers as well as non-customers are located at the following locations inside T1:
- East, near Gate 1, past checkpoint (Southwest Airlines)
- Lobby across from food court (Pre-Security)
- East, near Gate 5, past checkpoint (Southwest Airlines)
- West, near Gate 13 (Allegiant, Frontier, jetBlue, Spirit, Sun Country)
There are currency exchange services within T1 as well, which are made available via Western Union money transfer and other partners. The location of these services are:
- Currency Exchange ATM, across from Food Court. 24-hours per Day
For the convenience of the passengers, lactation rooms are available in T1 at the following location:
- West Rotunda located on the second level, across from the elevator.
- East Rotunda (Southwest Airlines Gates 3-10) located on the ground level, past the security checkpoint.
The terminal also provides access to courtesy phones. Access to snacks and drinks is provided via vending machines located under the pedestrian bridge of the T1 parking lot.
Terminal 2 at San Diego Airport also consists of carousels for baggage claim located at the center of the terminal. In order to reach these carousels there are clear signs leading up to the carousel at the ground floor of this terminal as well. There are kiosks for the storage of your luggage as well located within T2 which are made available to passengers for a specific cost.
To get better oriented, see the San Diego Airport Terminal 2 Map.
Bank of America ATMs for use by Bank of America customers as well as non-customers are located at the following locations inside T2:
- East, Gates 20-32 1st level lobby near escalator (Pre-Security)
- East, near Gate 23, past checkpoint (Alaska, American)
- Baggage Claim, near Carousel 4
- West, near Gate 36
- West, Gates 33-51, in Sunset Cove, underneath escalator
There are currency exchange services within T2 as well, which are made available via Western Union money transfer and other partners. The location of these services are:
- East Currency Exchange ATM, near Gate 23, past checkpoint. 24 hours per Day
- Baggage Claim, Kiosk across from carousel 3. Daily 8am-8pm. 619-260-1921
- West, Kiosk near Gate 48. Daily 5:30am-1pm and 4:30pm-7:30pm. 619-548-2323
There is also a kiosk setup within the terminal which makes available TravelEx Currency Exchange Debit Cards.
For the convenience of the passengers, lactation rooms are available in T2 at the following location:
- West located on the second level, near Gates 34-35
The terminal also provides access to courtesy phones. For the passengers travelling via this terminal there are Smarte Carte luggage carts available at the top level of T2 curbside check-in. Access to snacks and drinks is provided via vending machines located at the ground floor of the Parking Plaza next to the elevators.
Food, Shops & Amenities
There are many options for shopping around the airport.
Terminal 1: For electronics there is Best Buy available at Gate 10 and 11 of T1. For books there is Bay Books of Coronado. For other essentials there is Hudson News, KUSI News, Stellar News Express. For getting essentials for the beach there is The Beach House.
Terminal 2: For electronics there is Best Buy available at Gate 23 and 48 of T2, Soundbalance, Tech on the Go and InMotion Entertainment. Brookstone is a good option for shopping gifts. There is also a CNBC News San Diego store. There is a kids store called Kids Love San Diego and a bookstore called Warwick’s of La Jolla. For other essentials there is Hudson News, Old Town News & Market, Rip Curl, Stellar News, U.S. News & World Report.
For dining there are numerous options as well, such as:
Terminal 1: Bankers Hill Bar & Market, Einstein Bros. Bagels at Gate 3, Jack in the Box - Pre-Security, and Peet’s Coffee & Tea at Gate 11.
Terminal 2: Artisan Market, California Pizza Kitchen, Camden Food Co., Einstein Bros. Bagels - Pre-Security, Jack in the Box and Peet’s Coffee & Tea at Gate 26 and sunset Cove, PGA TOUR Grill (bar only), Prado at the Airport (bar only), Qdoba Mexican Grill, Starbucks at Gate 37.
There are post-security locations with varied hours of operation located within the terminal at the following locations:
- Terminal 1, East past the checkpoint near Gate 23
- Terminal 1, West on the north Concourse near Gate 36
- Terminal 2, East at the top of the rotunda escalator
There are also TSA security checkpoints which are mandated for all passengers. Passengers should leave at least 90 minutes in advance in order to go through the security and catch your flights on time. At the T2 East (gates 22-33) security checkpoints passengers go through thorough checking, near the Alaska and American ticket counters.
If you want to get a sense for how long it will take to get through security to the terminals, check out the San Diego Airport Security Wait Times page.
- There are long queues and extending waiting times because of the increase in precautionary and security measures. All passengers are advised to arrive two hours prior to their flight times.
- Check with your respective airlines for verification of flight arrival and any changes in the schedules
- Photo identifications and tickets are a must for travelling and getting through the security clearance / checkpoints. Have both items ready or check in at the ticket counter
- Parking is not allowed on the curbs and vehicles without any passengers will be towed and ticketed.
- For other tips related to security and travel, check in on radio 1690 AM.
- Follow all TSA travel tips
- American Airlines Admirals Club - T2, inside security, to the left. (tel. 1-800-237-7971)
- Delta Sky Club - T2, between gates 37 & 38 (tel. 1-800-221-1212)
- United Club - T1, Mezzanine level (tel. 1-800-241-6522).
- Airspace Lounge operated by Swissport is a common-use lounge - located at post-security, in the corridor between T2E & T2W. It offers views, full food & bar menu, shower facilities & comfortable seating: open daily. (Fee: $25/day, with free entry for AMEX Platinum & Centurion cardholders.)
International arrivals at the San Diego International Airport are handled via a newly built facility at Terminal 2 of the airport. These immigration facilities were built in 2017 (and opened in June 2018) and are located at T2 West gates 45-51. Prior to the construction of these facilities all international flights were catered to at the T2 East gates 20-22. However, the influx of a greater number of international customers led to the development of these new immigration facilities. In this way the airport is able to handle five times as many passengers as before.
The facilities available at T2 are also available at these facilities including food and drinks, shopping stores, and other relaxation services.