Anchorage Airport ANC
Anchorage International Airport is a major airport in the U.S. state of Alaska. ANC airport is named for Ted Stevens, a U.S. senator from Alaska in office from 1968 to 2009.
The airport has three runways and covers an area of 4,608 acres (1,865 ha). ANC is located 5 miles (8 km) southwest of downtown Anchorage.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Anchorage Airport is the second largest airport in the United States for the landed weight of cargo aircraft.
- It is the 5th largest airport in the world in terms of cargo throughput.
- For 2017-2021, ANC is included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems in which it is categorized as a medium-hub primary commercial service facility.
- In 2019, the airport served nearly 5.7 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Passengers are advised to arrive at least 2 hours before a domestic flight departure, and 3 hours before an international departure.
- To ensure a smooth check-in process, passengers should pack carry-on luggage in an appropriate manner, have photo ID ready, and read all the airline guidelines properly prior to arriving at the airport.
- Before visiting the airport for a flight, please have a look at the ANC Airport Map.
- For any queries at the airport, travelers can refer to the visitor Information, that is available seven days a week in the South Terminal of the Airport.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be picked up from the upper ramp, and it is recommended that the visitors arrange the pickup after the passengers have collected luggage from the baggage claim.
- Also, the visitors can wait in the Free Cell Phone Lot, and it can accommodate oversize vehicles too.
- The passengers can be dropped off at the loading and unloading ramp for departures.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, delays, and time to land, gate information, etc. for the Anchorage Airport.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status shows scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- Book a flight at ANC here, to get the best deals.
Anchorage International Airport has 2 terminals - North Terminal and South Terminal.
Built in 1982, it serves international flights. North Terminal was designed by McCool Carlson Green Architects.
The South Terminal serves domestic flights. All regional intrastate carriers also use the South Terminal. It has 3 concourses - Concourse A, Concourse B, and Concourse C.
To see the terminal locations, and for more information, have a look at the ANC Terminal Map.
The various airlines served at Anchorage Airport include Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Grant Aviation, United Airlines, and more.
View the full list of airlines served at ANC here.
Short-term parking is a convenient option for parking. There is a parking garage in the South Terminal and a parking lot in the North Terminal as well.
First 30 minutes: Free
31 minutes - 1 hour: $3
Maximum stay in south Terminal: 30 days
Maximum stay in North Terminal: 10 days
The long term parking lot is in the South Terminal.
First 30 minutes: Free
31 minutes - 1 hour: $2.00
1 - 2 hours: $5.00
2 - 3 hours: $9.00
3 - 4 hours: $11.00
4 - 24 hours: $13.00
Max per week: $78.00
Off-Airport parking is available in various parking lots near the Anchorage Airport. Most of the off-site lots allow 24/7 access.
Passengers have many options for ground transportation after arriving at the airport. From public transport to rental cars to taxis, and more, they can choose according to their requirement and convenience.
All rental car companies are located in the new Rental Car Center across from the South Terminal. Alamo, Budget, Avis, etc. are some of the well-known providers for car rental.
Passengers can find the taxi service at both the terminals at Anchorage International Airport. The taxicab waiting area at the South Terminal is located at the ground transportation island which can be reached via the underground transportation lobby or via the sidewalk outside the baggage claim.
A shuttle bus runs approximately every 15 minutes between the North and South terminals and the long-term parking lots. Route 40 of the Anchorage People Mover bus system serves the airport's terminals.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a wonderful time, Anchorage Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
Address: 5000 W Intl Airport Rd, Anchorage, AK 99502, USA
Phone: (907) 266 2526
Anchorage Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- Ted Stevens Anchorage Airport was built in 1951.
- In 1952, the construction of the first terminal began.
- In 1978, construction for the international satellite terminal, later to be called the North Terminal began.
- Until the 1980s, Anchorage was a common stopover for passengers flying to East Asia.
- In the early 1990s, most scheduled passenger service from Anchorage to Europe and Asia ceased.
- In 2000, the airport was renamed by the Alaska Legislature to honor then long-standing U.S. Senator Ted Stevens.
- In 2018, the airport suffered minor damage and was temporarily closed following a magnitude 7.0 earthquake in the area.
- During the 2020 coronavirus pandemic, the airport was briefly the busiest in the United States.
Q: Is Anchorage Airport the same as ANC?
A: Yes. While the official name is Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, it is also referred to by its IATA code ANC.
Q: What cities can I fly from ANC?
A: You can fly to many cities from ANC Airport. Please have a look at our direct flights page to see where you can fly.
Q: Can I sleep at Anchorage International Airport?
A: The airport remains open 24 hours a day and passengers are permitted to sleep inside the airport, and they can also stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome ANC layover ideas.
Q: Where do I report for lost or found items?
A: Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC) Lost & Found office is located in the lower lobby of the Short-term Parking Garage.
Q: Does ANC Airport have pet relief areas?
A: Yes. Pet relief areas are at both terminals. Animals are to be kept in their kennels or on a leash when on airport property.
Flying into Anchorage May 19, 2020
With COVID-19 will the travelers from WI or TX have t [more]LZ 05/05/2020
TSA Check point
Can I take a jar of smoked salmon on board? Can I tak [more]LJ 10/30/2019
Hi,my name is cindy ,can u help me to check have any [more]Cindy 06/02/2019
walkway between international and south domestic terminals
Hi where is the walkway between terminals? How long [more]fiona manuel 03/08/2019