William P. Hobby Airport is Houston’s oldest commercial airport and is Houston's secondary commercial aviation facility, handling the area's domestic and some international flights. The airport is located in Houston, Texas, and is 7 miles (11km) from downtown Houston. HOU covers an area of 1,304 acres (528 ha). It is operated by the Houston Airport System.
More detailed information can be found below.
Airport Stats & Facts
- It was closed after the opening of George Bush Intercontinental Airport and after several years it was reopened.
- As of December 2017, HOU is the fifth largest airport in Southwest’s network.
- In 2016, a terminal expansion began which was estimated to cost $156 million.
- In 2019, Houston Airport served more than 14 million passengers.
- Hobby Airport is busy during the morning hours between 7:00 am - 8:00 am and at night between 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm.
- To account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays, arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, take a few minutes to look at the HOU Airport map.
- For arriving flights: The arriving flight status provides Houston Hobby Airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate information.
- For departing flights: The departing flight status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, map tracking, flight delays, and HOU gate information.
- To get the best fares, book a flight here at HOU.
Houston Hobby has 1 Central Concourse, terminal, and an International Terminal. To see the terminal location and for additional information, please refer to the HOU Terminal Map.
This concourse has retail shops and eateries, and also a food court. There are 25 gates on the Central Concourse.
This terminal was opened in 2015. There are 5 gates on International Terminal and Southwest is the only airline using it.
HOU Airport serves as a hub for Southwest Airlines. It also serves various other airlines including Delta Air Lines, American Eagle, and more.
Short-Term and Long-Term Parking
Parking at HOU Airport is available at the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are various parking options at the Hobby Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near the Airport. Also, most of the off-site parking lots allow 24x7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have many options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are easily available at HOU. There are various car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. All means of transport are easily available outside of the airport.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from the Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Hobby Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport
- Currency exchange
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be picked up from Curb Zones 2 & 3 outside Baggage Claim/Arrivals Level.
- Passengers can be dropped off outside the terminal, Departures Level, that is on Level 2.
Address: 8183 Airport Blvd, Houston, TX 77061, USA
Contact: (713) 640-3000 /fax 641-7703
Houston Hobby Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1927, the Airport opened as a private landing field in a 600-acre pasture known as W.T. Carter Field.
- In 1937, the site was acquired by the City of Houston and was named Houston Municipal Airport.
- In 1938, the airport was renamed Howard R. Hughes Airport.
- In 1940, the city of Houston opened a new terminal and hangar.
- In 1943, the first three Women Air Force Service Pilots training classes were held at the airport.
- In 1954, an expanded terminal building was opened.
- In 1954, the airport was renamed Houston International Airport.
- In 1959, HOU’s first scheduled jets were Delta Douglas DC-8s nonstop to New York.
- In 1967, the airport was renamed after a former Texas Governor, William P. Hobby.
- In 2011, Southwest Airlines expressed interest in initiating new international flights from Hobby.
- On May 30, 2012, Houston’s city council approved Southwest’s request for flights from HOU Airport.
- On October 15, 2015, an international terminal was opened and Southwest launched international flights the same day.
WHAT TIME DOES THE AIRPORT OPEN FOR 5:35 AM FLIGHT?
Asked by Phillip - Sun, 16 October
The airport opens at 3:45 AM.
Where do I meet my Uber?
Asked by Robert Joseph Daniel - Sun, 2 October
The Uber pick up is located on Level 1, Zone 5.
Can you travel with an expired driver's license?
Asked by Michael Garcia - Fri, 16 September
It is recommended to update your driver's license before traveling to avoid any delays.
What is the name of the company that provides wheelchair assistance for Southwest Airlines?
Asked by Patricia Ashton - Mon, 8 August
Please contact Southwest Airlines at 1-800-435-9792 for further information on this question.
Is there a place to get tested for a PCR - COVID-19?
Asked by Elizabeth - Sat, 16 July
There isn't a place currently to complete a PCR-COVID-19 test at this airport.
Do disabled veterans receive free or discounted airport parking at Hobby Airport?
Asked by Pat Byrne - Tue, 12 July
There are no discounted parking rates available at this airport.
Where do I park to wait on an arriving passenger?
Asked by Steven - Tue, 5 July
The best option would be to choose the cell phone parking lot that is located on westbound Airport Boulevard, just prior to the entrance of the airport. There is no charge to use this lot.
Hi, what time does TSA pre-check open? Traveling Friday 7/1/22 and my flight departs at 5am.
Asked by LaToya - Mon, 27 June
The TSA pre-check operates from 3:45 a.m. to 8:45 p.m. There can be exceptions with holidays or specific airlines' schedules.
Are there private lounges at Hobby? We are flying Southwest
Asked by Jesse Wimberly - Thu, 16 June
How can I pay for luggage carts?
Asked by Claire - Sat, 21 May
You can pay for baggage carts with any of the following methods: cash ($1, $5, $10 bills; coins not accepted), Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, UnionPay, and JCB.
Where is Starbucks?
Asked by KP - Sat, 14 May
Starbucks is located after Security, near Gate 45. It's open from Sun-Mon from 5:00 AM-8:00 PM, and Sat from 5:00 AM-7:00 PM.
Where are the gates for international flights on Southwest Airlines?
Asked by scott - Thu, 28 April
Southwest flies out of the Central Terminal at this airport.
How early should I be for a 6am flight?
Asked by Diane - Sat, 23 April
If you're not checking luggage, we recommend that you to arrive at the airport at least 60 minutes before your scheduled departure time. If you're checking luggage, we recommend 90 minutes. For international flights, give yourself at least two hours,
What gate does Southwest use to fly to Costa Rica?
Asked by CHARLES ADAMSKI - Thu, 7 April
Southwest Airlines operates out of Terminal 2 at this airport. However, gates change from flight to flight - we recommend contacting Southwest directly about your gate number.
I have to change flights/planes and I only have 35 minutes to get off Southwest and be on the flight to Ft Lauderdale on Southwest. Is this enough time?
Asked by Daisy Stephens - Wed, 6 April
Directions to the airport?
Asked by Kea - Sat, 2 April
The airport is located at: 7800 Airport Blvd, Houston, TX 77061. We recommend putting this address in your GPS.
Where do I pick up for Spirit Airlines?
Asked by kenny cummings - Wed, 23 March
For this airport, pickup passengers from Curb Zones 2 & 3, which is outside the Baggage Claim/Arrivals Level. This is on Level 1. Follow signs to "Arrivals", and the lane for picking up is marked as 'Curb Zone 2 and Curb Zone 3'.
Where is the Arrival Hall?
Asked by Mary K Elston - Sun, 20 March
The Arrivals Hall is located at 7800 Airport Blvd Arrivals, Houston, TX 77061.
Which Terminal does Emirates use?
Asked by Michael - Sat, 26 February
Emirates Airlines uses Terminal D.
Where can I pick up a passenger outside from Southwest Airlines?
Asked by Marco Viteri - Fri, 25 February
To pick up a passenger, follow signs to "Arrivals". The lane for passenger pickup is "Curb Zone 2" and "Zone 3".
Where can I pick up a passenger at American Airlines?
Asked by roy - Tue, 22 February
Is there a nail salon?
Asked by Meghan - Wed, 16 February
Yes, XpresSpa offers a variety of beauty and wellness services, including manicures. You can find it in the Central Concourse, near Gate 45.
Is there a Cellphone Lot?
Asked by Millie - Wed, 16 February
You can wait for passengers until your arriving party calls you on your cell phone to notify you that they have picked up their checked bags and are ready for you to pick them up at curbside at the lot that is located off of Airport Blvd.
Do you need to have a boarding pass to go through security?
Asked by Misty Henderson - Sat, 12 February
Yes, you should have your boarding pass and ID in hand when you get to the front of the line of TSA screening. You can also visit the Houston Hobby Security Wait Times Page for more detailed information.
Is there a priority plus lounge in the airport?
Asked by bob - Sun, 23 January
No - there is only a USO Lounge at this airport.