Houston Hobby Airport HOU
William P. Hobby Airport is Houston’s oldest commercial airport and is Houston's secondary commercial aviation facility, handling the area's domestic and some international flights.
The airport is located in Houston, Texas, and is 7 miles (11km) from downtown Houston. HOU covers an area of 1,304 acres (528 ha). It is operated by the Houston Airport System.
Airport Stats & Facts
- It was closed after the opening of George Bush Intercontinental Airport and after several years it was reopened.
- As of December 2017, HOU is the fifth largest airport in Southwest’s network.
- In 2016, a terminal expansion began which was estimated to cost $156 million.
- In 2019, Houston Airport served more than 14 million passengers.
- Hobby Airport is busy during the morning hours between 7:00 am - 8:00 am and at night between 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm.
- To account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays, arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, take a few minutes to look at the HOU Airport map.
- For arriving flights: The arriving flight status provides Houston Hobby Airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate information.
- For departing flights: The departing flight status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, map tracking, flight delays, and HOU gate information.
- To get the best fares, book a flight here at HOU.
Houston Hobby has 1 Central Concourse, terminal, and an International Terminal. To see the terminal location and for additional information, please refer to the HOU Terminal Map.
This concourse has retail shops and eateries, and also a food court. There are 25 gates on the Central Concourse.
This terminal was opened in 2015. There are 5 gates on International Terminal and Southwest is the only airline using it.
HOU Airport serves as a hub for Southwest Airlines. It also serves various other airlines including Delta Air Lines, American Eagle, and more.
Short-Term and Long-Term Parking
Parking at HOU Airport is available at the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are various parking options at the Hobby Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near the Airport. Also, most of the off-site parking lots allow 24x7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have many options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are easily available at HOU. There are various car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. All means of transport are easily available outside of the airport.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from the Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Hobby Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport
- Currency exchange
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be picked up from Curb Zones 2 & 3 outside Baggage Claim/Arrivals Level.
- Passengers can be dropped off outside the terminal, Departures Level, that is on Level 2
Address: 8183 Airport Blvd, Houston, TX 77061, USA
Contact: (713) 640-3000 /fax 641-7703
Houston Hobby Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1927, the Airport opened as a private landing field in a 600-acre pasture known as W.T. Carter Field.
- In 1937, the site was acquired by the City of Houston and was named Houston Municipal Airport.
- In 1938, the airport was renamed Howard R. Hughes Airport.
- In 1940, the city of Houston opened a new terminal and hangar.
- In 1943, the first three Women Air Force Service Pilots training classes were held at the airport.
- In 1954, an expanded terminal building was opened.
- In 1954, the airport was renamed Houston International Airport.
- In 1959, HOU’s first scheduled jets were Delta Douglas DC-8s nonstop to New York.
- In 1967, the airport was renamed after a former Texas Governor, William P. Hobby.
- In 2011, Southwest Airlines expressed interest in initiating new international flights from Hobby.
- On May 30, 2012, Houston’s city council approved Southwest’s request for flights from HOU Airport.
- On October 15, 2015, an international terminal was opened and Southwest launched international flights the same day.
Q. Is Houston Hobby Airport the same as HOU?
A: Yes. While the official name is William P. Hobby Airport, it is also known by its IATA code HOU.
Q. What airlines have a hub in HOU Airport?
A: Houston Airport is a hub for Southwest Airlines.
Q. How far is the Hobby Airport from Downtown Houston?
A: Located in Houston, Texas, the HOU airport is 7 miles (11km) from downtown Houston.
Q. Can you sleep at Hobby Airport?
A: Passengers are permitted to sleep in the airport. It remains open 24 hours a day and visitors can stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome HOU layover ideas.
Q. What cities can I fly from HOU?
A: Being a reasonably sized US airport, you can fly to many cities directly from Hobby Airport, or connect to other worldwide destinations. Check out our direct flights page to see where you can fly from the airport.
are you open during covid, early july 2020 ?
i will need ride downtonw area to hobby july 9 early, [more]Rick Ehrlich 06/23/2020
Flight to Galveston Shuttle
Hello, my flight lands at 9:45am. Galveston shuttle i [more]Brooksie1987 03/02/2020
at the Hobby airport what bus do i take to downtown H [more]Tina 02/10/2020
How to get between SWA connecting flights at Houston
Hello I am arriving on SW 1927 from San Diego and dep [more]harborlover 01/26/2020