Aside from the spectacular outdoor sites quoted below, Rapid City offers exciting winter activities, such as:
The Rapid City pro-hockey season at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center and Ice Arena (Rapid City Rush team)
The Dahl Arts Center for performing arts and film offers winter concerts
The Black Hills Stock Show & Rodeo is a big winter event
All-inclusive Ski packages are available.
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally - the largest event that takes place in South Dakota. For ten days in August, motorcyclists and motorcycle enthusiasts travel to the Black Hills region to enjoy the area and the festivities that take place at the rally.
Custer Buffalo Roundup – offers spectators a taste of the wild west. It’s a captivating experience to watch as horseback riders round up around 1,450 buffalo. This annual event takes place at the end of September
The Black Hills Stock Show and Rodeo - takes place in Rapid City the end of January and the first part of February. As the second largest event in South Dakota, it brings a whole lot of entertainment to town. From ranch rodeos, concerts, a beer festival, and over fourteen different horse events, it’s an extravaganza of western fun for everyone.
Crazy Horse Volksmarch - Twice a year, in the spring and the fall, Crazy Horse Memorial allows the public to hike up to the top of the mountain for just three dollars a person. The trail route is changed each volksmarch, offering a new hike for repeat visitors and stunning views for all to enjoy.
To tour the Black Hills, Custer State Park, Wind Cave National Park, Badlands National Park, Buffalo Gap National Grasslands - consult a travel agency or pick up some brochures at the airport - OR - rent a car, and do it on your own!
Below listed are some Tour & Travel Agencies you might want to consider:
AAA Travel Agency(Rapid City) (605) 342-8482; (800) 422-3669
AAA Travel Agency (Spearfish) (605) 642-5796; (800) 658-2247
Affordable Adventures 1-866-601-5103
Black Hills Adventure Tours: 1-866-601-5103
Bursch Travel (Rapid City) (605) 342-2700
Discovery Tours: 888-524-5655
Helpful Tips & Resources
- Don't let heavy bags slow you down! Make use of our airport's complimentary baggage carts, available for all travelers in the baggage claim area.
- If you have some time before your departure, relax, grab a bite, peruse the shops, or jump on the free wifi and surf galore!
- Are you a frequent flyer or traveling in business or first class? Check out where the airline lounges are located.
- Once you have passed through security, you can use the interactive terminal map to find your gate, as well as the various restaurants and shops that are available on your route.
- Need some cash for your trip? Check here for the location of in-terminal ATMs or currency exchangers.
- If you're flying in from out of town and need transportation to your destination, consider renting a car from one of these rental car providers.