Detroit Metropolitan Airport is a major international airport in the United States. It is usually referred to as Detroit Airport, Metro Airport, or just by the airport code DTW. This airport is the primary international airport serving Detroit and surrounding communities.
DTW covers an area of 4,850 acres (1,960 ha) in Romulus Michigan. It is owned by Wayne County, Michigan, and is operated by the Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA).
More information about the airport can be found below.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Detroit Airport has service to 30 international destinations and 39 states across the US.
- The Concourse A in McNamara Terminal is the 2nd largest airport concourse in the world.
- In 2016, DTW was the 18th busiest airport in the United States.
- In 2019, the Detroit Metropolitan Airport served over 36 million passengers, the most in the airport’s history.
Airport Traveling Tips
- DTW airport is busy during the morning hours between 5 am - 6 am and at night between 9 pm - 10 pm.
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: DTW Arriving Flight Status provides Detroit Metropolitan airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: DTW Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and Detroit Airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Detroit Metropolitan Airport, book a flight at DTW airport here.
The Airport has two terminals, four concourses - A, B, C, and D and has a total of 129 gates. To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the Detroit Airport map.
It is also known as the Northwest WorldGateway. This terminal has 3 concourses:
Concourse A - 62 gates with 12 gates used for international departures and arrivals processing. It is the second-largest airport concourse in the world.
Concourse B & C - 41 gates that are used for Delta’s regional flights that employ smaller aircraft. These concourses are connected to the main terminal building and Concourse A by a pedestrian walkway.
This terminal features four long segments of moving walkways on the departures level and another moving walkway on the lower level. Currently, the terminal houses all Non-SkyTeam airlines serving the airport and is considered Concourse D. There are 26 gates in this terminal.
Detroit Metropolitan Airport is a hub for Delta Air Lines. It also serves various other airlines including Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and more.
View the full list of airlines served at DTW Airport.
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at DTW Airport is available at the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near DTW Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at Detroit Airport. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. Public buses serving the surrounding region make stops at the North Terminal's Ground Transportation Center and at McNamara Terminal's international arrivals level curb.
Amenities & Services at DTW Airport
To help you enjoy your stay, Detroit Metropolitan Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
The on-Airport Westin Hotel (tel. 734-942-6500) is inside the McNamara Terminal, offering a pool, spa, and 34 meeting and boardrooms, and a well-equipped business center. Skytrax named this hotel to be among the top-three airport hotels in North America.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Visiting the airline directory before arriving at the airport to confirm the terminal location for your traveler’s airline, can be a convenient option to pick them up from the right place. Also, visitors can use the cell phone waiting lot until the passenger arrives.
- If you are dropping off your traveler in the terminal, follow the signs for the airline’s terminal and proceed to short term parking. If dropping off your traveler curbside, proceed to the departures level.
Address: I94 exit 198 William Rogell Drive, Detroit, MI 48242 USA
Phone: (734) 247 7648
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Detroit Metro Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1927, Wayne County began to plan an airport in the western townships of the county.
- On September 4, 1930, Wayne County Airport was opened.
- In 1947, it was renamed Detroit-Wayne Major Airport.
- In 1949, the airport added two runways 3L/21R and 9L/27R, followed by runway 4R/22L in 1950.
- In 1958, the airport was given its present name.
- In 2009, Detroit Metropolitan Airport launched its first social media efforts with participation in Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube networks.
- On June 26, 2015, Spirit Airlines announced the construction of a new maintenance facility, saying it would bring $31.5 million and 82 jobs to the area
- In 2018, January, Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation, or SMART Bus, began providing a direct connection from the airport to the Rosa Parks Transit Center in downtown Detroit.
- Currently, the Detroit International Airport Authority is working on long-term development plans.
What is the user name and password for DTW wifi?
Asked by Xinyi - Thu, 20 October
There is no password. You simply search for wifi available and choose Detroit Airport Wifi and connect.
Which airlines fly out of the McNamara Terminal?
Asked by chuck dause - Tue, 4 October
Air France and Delta are the only airlines that fly out of McNamara Terminal.
Where are the Alaska Airlines ticket counters?
Asked by David Reagan - Sun, 2 October
Alaska Airlines is located in the Evans Terminal.
Can you walk from Gate A66 to Gate A9?
Asked by Matt - Fri, 23 September
Yes, all Gates in Concourse A are in one building.
Do the restaurants accept Apple Pay?
Asked by Frank Sonson - Sun, 18 September
We couldn't find anything that stated that Apple Pay was or wasn't accepted at this airport.
What is fastest way to get from Concourse A to Concourse C?
Asked by Dennis - Thu, 8 September
There is a tunnel that connects Concourse A and C and would be the fastest way to get there.
Where is Terminal D located at?
Asked by Jeffrey Zwolensky - Thu, 1 September
Terminal D is located in the Evans Terminal at DTW.
Does American Airlines fly into McNamara terminal?
Asked by Karen - Mon, 15 August
American Airlines uses the Evans Terminal.
What terminal does Sun Country fly out of?
Asked by Linda Armatis - Sun, 14 August
Sun Country is not on the list of airlines at this airport.
Where is McNamara Terminal 2?
Asked by Lisa Linn - Sun, 7 August
The McNamara Terminal is on the west end of the DTW Airport. It has 3 Concourses that are labeled A, B, and C.
What are the hours of the currency exchange?
Asked by Cindy - Mon, 27 June
At this time there isn't a currency exchange available at this airport.
How do I get from the North Terminal to McNamara for my next flight?
Asked by David - Thu, 23 June
Which Terminal & Gate does Lufthansa use?
Asked by Yvonne - Sat, 18 June
Lufthansa is located in the Evans Terminal at Gate D8 and includes a lounge with self-serve drinks and snacks available.
Where should I park if I’m heading to the North Terminal?
Asked by Daisy - Sun, 15 May
Green Lots 1 or 2 would be the best places to park.
Terminal for KLM?
Asked by Sunny - Sun, 8 May
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines does not have a defined terminal at this airport. We suggest you check with them directly to see where your flight departs from.
Is 33 minutes enough time for a connection?
Asked by Susan - Mon, 28 March
We do not recommend a connection with a time as little of 33 minutes, regardless of the airport.
Where is long term parking?
Asked by Tina - Sat, 5 March
Long term parking is available in the McNamara Parking Garage, the Big Blue Deck and the Green Lots.
Where is my arrival delta flight?
Asked by Mike Du - Fri, 4 March
Delta Air Lines uses Terminal M- McNamara at this airport.
Where are the auto rentals?
Asked by Lou - Sat, 26 February
After baggage claim, follow signs to Ground Transportation and take a shuttle to the rental car campus. It is located at the Northeast corner of the airport along Lucas Drive.
Is there a smoking area?
Asked by myra - Fri, 25 February
Yes, there are designated smoking areas outside the terminal and no smoking is allowed inside the terminals.
Who do I contact for a wheelchair once I arrive at airport?
Asked by Julie Honaker - Wed, 23 February
For the McNamara Terminal, call (734) 921-7200. For the North Terminal, call (734) 247-1121. Please contact your airline prior to arriving at the airport.
Is baggage claim for Terminal B and Terminal A in the same area?
Asked by Lois Carolyn Colburn - Thu, 17 February
No, there is a different baggage claim for the McNamara and Evans Terminals.
I need wheelchair assistance, do I need to call in advance?
Asked by nisha - Wed, 16 February
Yes, you should contact your airlines 48 hours before you need wheelchair assistance.
I lost a gold hoop earring near door 5 in the baggage area near carousel 10.
Asked by Rita Lichtman - Mon, 14 February
Where is United Airlines drop off for passengers?
Asked by Linda Seyfarth Ward - Sat, 12 February