Located in Houston, Texas, United States, George Bush Airport is an international airport serving the Greater Houston Metropolitan area. It is also known by its IATA airport code IAH.
The original name of the airport was Houston Intercontinental Airport and was later renamed George Bush Intercontinental Airport, after George H. W. Bush, the 41st President of the US.
IAH covers an area of 10,000 acres and is located about 23 miles (37 km) north of Downtown Houston.
Airport Stats & Facts
- In 2017, IAH became the first airport in North America to have nonstop flights to every inhabited continent.
- IAH served more than 43 million passengers in 2018, making it the 47th-busiest airport in the world, and the 14th-busiest airport in the United States.
- In 2019, the airport served more than 45 million passengers.
- George Bush Airport is busy during the morning hours between 6:00 am - 7:00 am and in the afternoon between 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm.
- To account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays, arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, take a few minutes to look at the IAH Airport map.
- For arriving flights: The arriving flight status provides George Bush Intercontinental Airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate information.
- For departing flights: The departing flight status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, map tracking, flight delays, and IAH gate information.
- Book a flight at IAH, to get the best fares at Bush Airport.
Bush Intercontinental Terminals
There are five terminals - A, B, C, D, and E at IAH Airport. Refer to the IAH Airport Terminal map, to see the terminal locations and for additional information.
Terminal A was one of the two original terminals to open in 1969. It has 20 gates.
10 Gates - North Concourse
10 Gates - South Concourse
Terminal B was the other original terminal opened in 1969. The gate areas of this terminal were demolished and rebuilt.
30 Gates - South Concourse
Terminal C, also known as Lewis W. Cutrer Terminal, was the third terminal to be built at the airport. It has 31 gates.
Terminal D is also known as Mickey Leland Terminal. It has several international lounges and 12 gates.
Terminal E is Bush Airport’s newest terminal and was opened in two phases.
First Phase - 14 Gates
Second Phase - 16 Gates
IAH Airport serves as the second-largest passenger hub for United Airlines. It also serves various other airlines including American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, American Eagle, Spirit Airlines, Delta Connection, plus more. View the full list of airlines served at IAH Airport.
Short-Term and Long-Term Parking:
Parking at IAH Airport is easily available at the terminals. There are several parking options at George Bush Intercontinental including hourly, daily, or long-term parking.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near IAH Airport. Also, most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
The passengers have many options for ground transport for their next destination after they’ve arrived at the airport. From airport shuttles to car rentals to buses, various transportation modes are available. Additionally, many passengers also opt for ride services like Uber, taxis, and Lyft.
Airport Shuttles are a great way to travel from IAH Airport. You can get a ride to almost any nearby location as there is an availability of various shuttle services.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at IAH with multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Travelers can choose from a large variety of vehicles among the various well-known car rental providers like Hertz, National, Enterprise, and more.
Buses & Trains
Public Transportation is available to all major areas nearby. METRO Bus 102 makes pickups every half hour at the south side of Terminal C (outside of baggage claim).
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, George Bush Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Pick up passengers outside the terminals, Baggage Claim/Arrivals Level
- Passengers can be dropped off outside the terminals, Departures Level Terminals A, B, C: East side, Terminal D: south side, and Terminal E: west side. Also, you can follow the signs to “Departures.”
Address: 2800 N Terminal Rd, Houston, TX 77032, USA
Contact: [email protected]
Phone: (281) 230 3100
George Bush Intercontinental: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1957, a group of Houston businessmen purchased the site for Bush Intercontinental Airport.
- In 1965, The City of Houston annexed the Intercontinental Airport.
- In 1969, Houston Intercontinental Airport (original name of the airport) was opened.
- In 1997, Houston City Council voted to rename the airport George Bush Intercontinental Airport/Houston.
- In 1981, Terminal C was opened.
- In December 2009, the Houston City Council approved a plan to allow Midway Co.s to develop 10 acres of land owned by Houston Airport System on the grounds of IAH.
- In 2014, an MOA was passed by the Houston City Council to demolish the existing building of Terminal D and construct a new facility on the same site.
- In 2015, George Bush Airport broke ground on Terminal C, which opened in March 2017.
- On October 18, 2019, the re-construction of Terminal D was officially started.
What is the best way to get from Terminal D to E?
Asked by Scott - Thu, 15 September
You can use either the above-ground automated people-mover (Skyway) or the underground train (Subway) that connects all of the Terminals at this airport.
Does a vehicle with DV plates park for free in terminal parking?
Asked by Chris - Fri, 9 September
We didn't find anything in the Parking information that stated there was free parking with a DV plate.
I need to get information regarding my mishandled baggage. I want help.
Asked by Fouzia Anjum - Sun, 4 September
You can contact your airlines directly for any questions on baggage.
Is the united club open in Terminal A?
Asked by Jim - Thu, 18 August
No, at this time it is marked as temporarily closed.
Does IAH offer free parking for disabled veterans with a disabled license plate on their vehicle? thanks!
Asked by Lyn - Wed, 17 August
We didn't find a free parking option for disabled veterans at this airport.
Is terminal parking free for vehicles with handicapped plates?
Asked by Vinay - Thu, 11 August
No, the same rates apply to all vehicles.
What are the hours of operation of the American Airline Baggage office in Terminal A?
Asked by Robert Burelsmith - Tue, 28 June
The American Airlines counter is open from 3 AM to 8 PM.
Where is the ATM in Terminal D?
Asked by Lauren - Sat, 18 June
The ATM in Terminal D at IAH is located just inside and across from Gate D6. It is near the currency exchange and animal relief stations.
Where is the interterminal train?
Asked by Elaine - Sat, 4 June
The subway train makes stops at all terminals (A, B, C, D/E) and there are signs marked "subway" at each spot.
Where is the Air France Lounge?
Asked by Kea - Tue, 5 April
The Air France Lounge is located in Terminal D, near Gate D12.
Where do I pick up a passenger that is arriving on a Delta flight into terminal A? They don't have any checked bags.
Asked by Mr. Jerry Lee Sagehorn - Tue, 29 March
You can pick up passengers curbside outside the terminals, Baggage Claim/Arrivals Level. For Terminal A, this will be on the north side, Door A-113.
Where is Spirit Airlines?
Asked by David Breaux - Mon, 21 March
Spirit uses Terminal A at this airport.
Are skycaps currently available at Terminal c?
Asked by Keith - Mon, 21 March
Check with your airline if they are currently offering Skycap services - many have been suspended due to COVID.
What terminal serves Southwest Airlines?
Asked by kelly johnson - Tue, 15 March
Southwest operates out of Terminal A at this airport.
What terminal does southwest fly out of?
Asked by Debbie - Wed, 9 March
Is TSA screening closed on terminal B?
Asked by Susan - Sat, 5 March
At this time, TSA screening does not appear to be closed at Terminal B.
Hi can I buy luggage in the airport shops before security? Thank you so much.
Asked by Katherine Ha - Tue, 22 February
Allen’s Landing, located before security, may sell luggage but we cannot guarantee that. We'd recommend purchasing luggage prior to arriving at the airport.
When should I get my covid test? What covid test are accepted?
Asked by Jacqueline Adame - Mon, 21 February
COVID tests are not required for domestic travel. For international travel, it varies from country-to-country. Check the rules for where you are traveling to to see about timing and what tests are accepted.
Is pretravel COVID PCR testing available at IAH?
Asked by Makoto - Sun, 20 February
Yes, XpresCheck now offers COVID-19 testing in Terminal E at this airport.
Is terminal C open?
Asked by Ole K - Sat, 19 February
Yes, Terminal C is open.
Can I print at the airport?
Asked by Brad Marrs - Sat, 12 February
There are not any printers for guests at this airport. However, the on-site hotel (Marriott) has a business center.