Opened in October 1967, Huntsville International Airport is a public airport. It is a part of the Port of Huntsville (along with the International Intermodal Center and Jetplex Industrial Park), and is owned by the Huntsville / Madison County Airport Authority.
HSV is located ten miles southwest of downtown Huntsville, in Madison County, Alabama, United States. It covers an area of 6,000 acres (2,428 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- Huntsville International Airport was the third airport for Huntsville.
- In 1989, Huntsville International became the first airport in the United States to install an ASR-9 dual-channel airport surveillance radar system.
- The airport's west runway, at 12,600 ft (3,800 m), is the second longest commercial runway in the southeastern United States.
- An August 2009 report by the Bureau of Transportation Statistics for the first quarter of 2009 revealed that Huntsville passengers paid, on average, the highest airfares in the United States.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Passengers are recommended to arrive at least 3 hours before an international flight departure, and 2 hours before a domestic flight departure.
- Make sure to carry your photo ID, and pack your luggage according to the rules in order to enjoy a hassle-free traveling process.
- You can check in at the ticket counter, at an e-ticket machine, online, or curbside, if available for your carrier.
- Please take a look at the HSV Airport Map, before heading to the airport to board a flight.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers who are being dropped off or picked up at the airport may use the 10-minute “waiting spaces” that are provided free of charge for these customers.
- Waiting spaces are located immediately in front of the terminal building and are equipped with a timer that will begin when a vehicle enters the space and then flash to indicate when time has expired.
- Due to security restrictions, vehicles must be attended at all times while in a 10-minute waiting space.
- In addition, HSV Airport also offers first 30 minutes of parking in the hourly deck for free.
- For arriving flight status: Arriving flight status provides Huntsville Airport gate information, arrival times, time to land, and delays.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, flight delays, and map tracking.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at HSV here.
Huntsville International Airport has a main terminal with two levels - Ground Level and Concourse Level, and 12 gates. Plus there are restrooms, shops, restaurants, phones and murals depicting aviation and space exploration scenes.
For more information, please refer to the HSV Terminal Map.
Huntsville International Airport is served by six passenger airlines - Silver Airways, American Eagle, Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection, Frontier Airlines, and United Express.
It’s super easy to SmartPark at Huntsville International Airport. With the help of SmartSigns you can know if spaces are available on each level – eliminating the hassle of searching for a spot.
First 30 minutes - Free
Hourly Parking - Parking Deck Level 1 - $24/day
Parking Deck Levels 2-6 - $12/day
Economy Parking: $8/day
Maximum per day: $2/hour
A lot of options are available for passengers for ground transportation after arriving at the HSV airport. From buses to rental cars to airport shuttles, and more, they can choose according to their convenience. Many passengers also opt for ride services such as Taxis, Uber, and Lyft.
Rental Car services can be easily availed at Huntsville Airport. Various car rental agencies are available onsite at the airport. Some of the well-known providers include Thrifty, National, Budget, Avis, and more.
Taxis and Limousines
Passengers can choose between the taxis and limousines service providers at the airport. AAAA Cab Company and Rocket City Cab and Ace Limousine, Suskis Limo, and Apollo Limousine are available for taxis and limousine services respectively.
Public transportation is an economical traveling option. Capital Motor Lines and Spirit Coach are the bus services at the HSV airport.
Amenities & Services
To make your stay amazing, Huntsville Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Free Wifi internet throughout the airport.
- Cell Phone Charging Stations.
- Pet Relief Area & Outdoor Pet Park.
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
Address: 1000 Glenn Hearn Blvd., Huntsville, AL 35824, USA
Phone: (256) 772 9395 /fax 0305
Huntsville Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- The original airport, Huntsville Flying Field / Mayfair Airport, was south of the city.
- In 1941, a second airport south of downtown was opened with two paved runways.
- In November 1967 Eastern scheduled nine departures each weekday from the new airport while United had four and Southern had 17.
- On September 15, 1968, a ribbon cutting ceremony was held for the airport with Dr. Wernher von Braun and Senator John Sparkman.
- By 1989 the airport was linked to major airline hubs.
- On July 10, 2018, the airport announced that Frontier Airlines would begin nonstop service to Denver and Orlando in October with the A320 Family.