Kansas City Airport, originally Mid-Continent International Airport, is a public airport in Kansas City, Missouri, US. The airport is owned and operated by the Kansas City Aviation Department.
MCI covers an area of 10,680 acres (4,320 ha). It is 15 miles (24 km) northwest of downtown Kansas City in Platte County, Missouri.
Airport Stats & Facts
- MCI Airport has always been a civilian airport and has never had an Air National Guard Unit assigned to it.
- In 2019, Kansas City Airport served more than 11 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The busy hours of the airport include - in the morning between 6:00 am to 7:00 am and in the night between 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
- To account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays, passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours before an international flight departure and at least 2 hours before a domestic flight.
- Before visiting the airport for a flight, please have a look at the MCI Airport Map.
- Passengers should always keep their belongings in sight during screening. They are responsible for their property as it proceeds through the screening process.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Visitors should make sure they have the details of the terminal and flight number of the arriving passenger(s), in order to avoid any confusion between the terminals.
- When picking up a passenger from the airport, visitors must stay in touch with the traveler, and ensure they’ve collected all their bags and are ready to be picked up from outside the terminal. Parking curbside in front of the terminal is prohibited. If visitors need to wait, they can use the parking lot.
- Passengers can be dropped off outside the terminal from where they have to board their flight. They should check the details before heading to the airport about which terminal is to be used, as no vehicles are allowed to be parked at the curb even for a short time.
For arriving or departing flights, check as follows:
- Arriving flight status provides Kansas City Airport arrival times, time to land, gate information, delays, and time to land.
- Departing flight status lists actual vs scheduled departure, map tracking, flight delays, departure times, and gate information.
- To find and compare the best fares, check here..
Kansas City Airport has 3 Terminals - A, B, and C. For additional information, and to see the terminal locations, please refer to the KCI Airport Terminal Map.
The terminal A was demolished in June 2019, and its construction is expected to finish in 2023.
There are 20 gates on Terminal B, numbered B31-B60.
There are 22 gates on Terminal C, numbered C61-C90. It underwent renovations to better handle international flights.
Kansas City Airport serves various airlines including Spirit Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, Delta Connection, American Eagle, United Express, and more.
View the list of airlines served and direct-flight destinations from Kansas City Airport.
Short-Term & Long-Term Parking
Parking at MCI is available at the terminal. There are various parking options available at the Kansas City Airport including hourly, daily, long-term, and more.
Various parking lots offer off-airport parking near Kansas City Airport. Most of the off-site lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have a lot of options for ground transportation. The various options include car rentals, buses, airport shites, etc. Also, many passengers utilize ride services like Lyft, Uber, and Taxis.
Car Rental services can be easily found at MCI Airport. Many car rental agencies are available onsite at the airport and some of the well-known providers include Hertz, Enterprise, Thrifty, and more.
A great way to travel from Kansas City Airport is via Airport Shuttles. To get to any major nearby location, passengers can use the various shuttle services. A number of private scheduled shared shuttle services operate from MCI to regional cities including Saint Joseph, Missouri, Columbia, and more.
Buses & Trains
Public Transportation is a cost-effective option for traveling and is easily available outside the airport. Route 229 services the airport on about 18 trips per weekday, and the bus also operates 18 round trips on Saturday and Sunday.
Amenities & Services
To help you have a great stay, Kansas City Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Massage bars, and shoeshine stations.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
Address: 1 International Square, Kansas City, MO 64153, USA
Phone: (816) 243 5237
Kansas City Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- Kansas City Industrial Airport was built after the Great Flood of 1951.
- In 1954, TWA signed an agreement to move its overhaul base to MCI.
- In 1956, the first runway was opened.
- The airport uses AKAL Security, an independent contractor that conforms to TSA's recruiting and training standards.
- In March 2010, the TSA announced that the airport would be one of the first in the U.S. to have full-body scanners.
- In November 2004, a $258 million terminal improvement project was completed.
- In 2006, the airport began offering free Wi-Fi.
- In May 2007, a new rental car facility and additional art fixtures, were completed.
- On November 7, 2017, voters in Kansas City approved the construction of the new terminal.
- In March 2019, groundbreaking on the new terminal was started.
- In June 2019, demolition of the former Terminal A began, with construction expected to finish in 2023.
We want to park in Economy. We are flying out on American and returning on Southwest. Are they both in the same Economy lot?
Asked by Rodney Maag - Tue, 10 May
What are the hours for Starbucks in Concourse C?
Asked by Debra - Tue, 10 May
The Starbucks in Terminal C (near Gate 83) is open daily from 4am - 4pm.
My original flight was canceled but I think my luggage may have been put on the first one to Kansas City. How can I know if my luggage is there?
Asked by Maya Banks - Sat, 23 April
You must contact your airline directly to help you locate your luggage. We wish you the best of luck!
Can you buy distilled water after security in Concourse B?
Asked by Leah Black - Tue, 29 March
Yes, you are able to purchase water after security.
Do I need a negative covid test to fly?
Asked by Lil - Fri, 25 March
You do not need any Covid tests to fly domestically. If you are flying internationally, check if your destination has any rules or restrictions.
Looking for my luggage.
Asked by Deniseann - Sat, 19 March
Please contact your airline directly about any lost or delayed baggage. Good luck!
Is there a Business Center where I can reserve a desk space for a 2-hour period?
Asked by Kimberly - Thu, 17 March
There is no Business Center at this airport.
Where is the baggage claim service office?
Asked by Richie Galas - Mon, 7 March
You should contact your airline in regards to any issues with baggage, but Lost & Found (for items in the airport) can be reached at 816-243-5219.
My flight was cancelled, but my bag is in Kansas City Airport. How do I get it back to Dallas/ Ft. Worth airport?
Asked by Sam - Mon, 7 March
Please contact your airline directly for help locating your bag. Good luck!
Which Terminal does Spirit Airlines use?
Asked by Elina - Sat, 26 February
Spirit Airlines Uses Terminal C.
Is there a Cellphone Lot?
Asked by Lisa - Tue, 22 February
Yes, the Cell Phone Waiting is available at the airport and can be found on 680 Brasilia Ave.
What is the closest smoking area to Terminal 1?
Asked by Elanie - Wed, 16 February
Smoking is only permitted in designated areas outside of the terminal and there are no smoking lounges available.