Boston Logan Airport BOS
Logan Airport Overview
While the official name is General Edward Lawerence Logan International Airport, it is also known as Boston Logan, by its IATA airport code BOS, Boston Airport, or Logan airport. The airport is located mostly in East Boston and partially in Winthrop, Massachusetts, United States.
BOS covers an area of 2,384 acres (965 ha) and employs an estimated 16,000 people. Boston Airport is owned by Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport). BOS is Massachusetts' primary airport and is the busiest airport within New England.
Airport Stats & Facts
- In terms of passenger volume and cargo handling, it is the largest airport in both the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the New England region.
- Boston Logan Airport is the 16th-busiest airport in the United States.
- In 2019, an expansion project began at Terminal E, which is expected to cost $680 million.
- In 2019, the airport served more than 42 million passengers, the most in its history.
Airport Traveling Tips
- BOS Airport is busy during the morning hours between 4:00 am - 5:00 am
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Boston Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: Arriving Flight Status provides Boston Logan airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and BOS airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Boston Airport, book a flight at BOS airport here.
The Airport has four passenger terminals - A, B, C, and E and a total 102 gates. To see the terminal locations, and for additional information, please refer to the Logan Airport map.
This terminal was opened to passengers in 2005. Terminal A is divided into a main terminal and a satellite terminal, which are connected via an underground pedestrian tunnel under the ramp.
This terminal was opened in 1974. It has a post-security walkway that connects Terminal B North to Terminal B South.
This terminal was opened in 1967. There is a post-security connection between Terminal C and Terminal E, which allows for seamless connections between the two terminals.
This terminal is also known as the John A. Volpe International Terminal. An expansion project is in process at Terminal E, which is expected to be completed in early 2023.
Boston Airport is a hub for Delta Air Lines. It also serves various other airlines including American Airlines, Cape Air, Alaska Airlines, JetBlue, Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and more. View the full list of airlines served at BOS Airport.
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at BOS Airport is available at the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Boston Logan Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near BOS Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at BOS. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Boston Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. From Logan Airport it is available from both the MBTA's Blue Line Subway service and the Silver Line Bus Rapid Transit service to downtown Boston's South Station.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Boston Logan Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- For the people who are visiting BOS Airport to simply pick someone up, they can head to the arrivals level of the appropriate terminal.
- You can drive up to the terminal if you’re dropping off a passenger at the airport.
Address: 500 Terminal E, Boston, MA 02128-2015 USA
Phone: (800) 235 6426
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Boston Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- On September 8, 1923, the airport was opened and was called Jeffery Field.
- In 1943, the state renamed the airport after Maj. Gen. Edward Lawerence Logan, a Spanish-American War officer from South Boston.
- In 1952, BOS became the first in the United States with an indirect rapid transit connection.
- In 1974, Terminal E was opened and it was the second-largest international arrivals facility in the United States.
- Between 1974 and 2015, the number of international travelers at the Logan Airport has tripled.
- On November 23, 2006, Logan’s first major runway was opened.
- A scene from the 2006 film “The Departed” was filmed at Logan, inside the connector bridge between Terminal E and the Central Parking Garage.
- In 2012, Terminal B underwent a $160 million renovation which was completed in April 2014.
- In 2014, a $100 million renovation started at Terminal E and was completed in January 2017.
Boston Logan Airport FAQs
Q. Is Logan Airport the same as BOS?
A: Yes. While the official name is General Edward Lawerence Logan International Airport, it is also known as Boston Logan, BOS (IATA code), Logan International Airport, or simply Logan.
Q. What airlines have a hub in BOS Airport?
A: Boston Airport is a hub for Delta Air Lines.
Q. How far is the Boston Logan Airport from Downtown Boston?
A: The airport is approx 3.5 miles from Downtown, Boston, MA, USA.
Q. Can you sleep at BOS Logan Airport?
A: Passengers are permitted to sleep in the airport. It remains open 24 hours a day and visitors can stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome BOS layover ideas.
Q. What cities can I fly from BOS?
A: Being one of the busiest airports in the US, you can fly to many cities from Logan Airport. Check out our direct flights page to see where you can fly from the airport.
EMail printing options
I had to have a covid test to fly wednesday night on [more]andria 10/06/2020
Baggage check in
Is there personnel to handle baggage check in instead [more]Karen 07/19/2020
Foreign currency exchange
Can I exchange currency from Mozambique at this site?Louie A 06/22/2020
Foreign currency exchange
Can I exchange currency from Mozambique at this siteLOUIE A 06/22/2020