Minneapolis Airport MSP is an international airport located in Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States. It is within 10 miles (16km) of downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul as well. The airport is managed and run by the Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC).
MSP airport is the busiest and largest airport in the six-state Upper Midwest region of Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. It also has been ranked as one of the best large airports in the U.S. and the world by customer satisfaction surveys.
Airport Stats & Facts
- MSP Airport is centrally situated within a 30-minute drive of both downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul and is within easy reach of the surrounding suburban cities and towns.
- With 4 runways, 2 terminals and 38 million passengers annually, Minneapolis-St. Paul International is the third-largest hub for Delta, and Delta Connection partners Compass & Pinnacle.
- Minneapolis Airport is the 17th busiest U.S. airport for passengers and 12th for aircraft operations.
- In 2019, The airport served more than 38 million travelers.
- MSP Airport generates approx $15.9 billion annually for the Twin Cities’ economy and supports 87,000 workers.
Maps, Airlines & Amenities
Airport Traveling Tips
- Airport peak hours at Terminal 1 are between 5 am - 8 am and between 3 pm - 5 pm
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the MSP Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- If departing from Terminal 1, all airlines’ ticketing and bag-check services are located in the Ticketing Lobby, located on Level 2.
- If departing from Terminal 2, you can purchase a ticket, obtain a boarding pass and check your luggage in the Ticketing Lobby, located on Level 1.
- For arriving flights: MSP Arriving Flight Status provides MSP airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: MSP Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and MSP airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Minneapolis International Airport, book a flight at MSP.
The Minneapolis International Airport has two terminals that are on the different sides of the airfield and are not connected to each other. In order to transfer between the terminals, one must take the free Light Rail.
Terminal 1: Known as the Lindbergh Terminal, it is larger than terminal 2 and has 7 interconnected concourses, lettered A-G. The terminal has 117 gates.
Terminal 2: Known as the Humphrey Terminal includes the entire concourse H. It has 14 gates.
MSP Airport serves various airlines. It also serves as a main hub for Delta Airlines and Sun Country Airlines. View the full list of airlines served at MSP Airport.
Short-term and Long-term Parking
Parking at MSP Airport is available onsite. There are lots of covered parking ramps on terminal 1 and on terminal 2, there are two covered ramps to choose from.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near the Minneapolis Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at MSP Airport. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from the MSP Airport. There are also inter-terminal shuttles available at the MSP airport.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. The light rail transit system is fully accessible and free between the terminals and also runs every 10-15 minutes. Metro Transit scheduled bus service to the Twin Cities metropolitan area, as well as Jefferson Lines is both available at the Terminal 1 Transit Center.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Minneapolis Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoe shine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- For picking someone up from the airport, feel free to wait in the cell phone waiting lot.
- The passenger can be dropped off outside the terminal.
Address: 4300 Glumack Drive, St. Paul, MN 55111 USA
Phone: (612) 726 5555
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Minneapolis Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- MSP airport came into being when various local groups were united to take control of the former bankrupt Twin City Speedway race track.
- In 1923, the airport was renamed Wold-Chamberlain Field in honor of two local pilots.
- In 1926, Minneapolis Airport became the main base for Northwest Airlines.
- In the 1960s, in addition to the construction of Terminal 1, massive expansion efforts were made.
- On June 1, 2002, concourses A and B were opened.
- In August 2015, the Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC) approved a plan that looks out to the year 2035.
- The final plan includes three phases through 2020, 2030 and 2035.
What terminal does Delta come to?
Asked by Terry Johnson - Sat, 29 October
Delta Airlines uses Terminal 1.
What concourse does delta leave from to Newark, NJ?
Asked by Linda - Thu, 6 October
I'm bringing a bus-load from Sioux Falls to the Mnpls-St. Paul airport, but I don't have an intinerary yet. Is there one drop off point for all concourses, or are there multiple drop off points? Thank you...
Asked by Susan - Mon, 3 October
Since there are two terminals at this airport it will determine which airlines your passengers are needing to determine best drop-off point.
Are there any massage lounges at this airport?
Asked by Mark - Mon, 26 September
There are at least 2 places currently available for a massage at this airport, Chiroport, and XpressSpa.
I am arriving Sept 30 at 1:08 p.m. on Frontier, Flight F9 623. What terminal will I be arriving, Lindbergh or Humphrey.
Asked by Stephanie Berger - Wed, 14 September
You will be arriving at Terminal 2.
How do I file a report for lost baggage?
Asked by Lucy - Mon, 12 September
You need to contact your airline directly for any lost baggage issues.
Can I buy Euros at the airport?
Asked by Carol - Sat, 27 August
We didn't find a currency exchange available at this airport.
Which MSP terminal does American Airlines use?
Asked by Neil Tianen - Wed, 17 August
They are located in Terminal 1, Concourse E.
Where can we wait for arrival passengers?
Asked by Darryl L Asher - Fri, 12 August
There is a cell phone waiting lot located on Post Road. It is a small lot so if it is filled they also offer a low-cost option of short-term ramp parking.
How do I get to United Airlines from Delta Airlines?
Asked by Tammie - Tue, 21 June
United Airlines is right down the hallway from Delta Airlines in Terminal 1, Level 2. The estimated time from one to the other is 2 minutes.
What are size criteria for an acceptable carry-on bag for United airlines?
Asked by James A Wellner - Mon, 25 April
Dimensions of a carry-on bag on American Airlines should not exceed 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm).
Where do I return my rent car from Dollar?
Asked by Lynn - Sat, 9 April
Put this address into your GPS: 7150 Humphrey Dr, Minneapolis, MN 55450. Then follow signs for can return.
How many hours ahead of departure do I need to arrive at MSP for an international flight?
Asked by Mqry - Tue, 5 April
The airport asks that you arrive three hours prior to international travel. This allows for enough time to check your bags, be screened and arrive at your gate.
What terminal does Sun Country fly in and out of?
Asked by Darlene Sandey - Thu, 31 March
Sun Country flies in and out of Terminal 2.
Where is the children's play area in Terminal One?
Asked by Viki Terry - Tue, 1 March
There is a Children's Play Area next to Gate C12.
Where is the blue ramp?
Asked by Joel Booth - Sat, 26 February
The blue ramp is connected to Terminal 1 via Level T.
Where is the Post Road cell phone parking area?
Asked by Marge - Wed, 23 February
Yes, a complimentary 39 spot cellphone waiting lot is located midway between both terminals on Post Road.
Which is the closest smoking area to Lindbergh Terminal?
Asked by Shelly - Fri, 18 February
Smoking must take place outdoors on both Lindbergh and Humphrey Terminals as they are smoke-free facilities. Smoking shelters are outside Doors 1, 3, and 6 on the Ticketing Level at Lindbergh Terminal.
What Terminal will my Allegiant Airlines flight will arrive?
Asked by linda - Mon, 14 February
Where are the book stores that sell fiction books?
Asked by Judith Brenner - Mon, 24 January
There is a Hudson News in Terminal 2, Concourse H; an Open Book in Terminal 1: MSP Mall; and a New Stand in Terminal 1, Concourse E. All of these should sell fiction books.
How do I get to Intercontinental hotel from Terminal 1?
Asked by Diane - Wed, 12 January
Are you staying at the Airport Intercontinental? If so, it's entrances is just steps from Terminal 1. Follow signs for the hotel once you get your luggage.
Is CLEAR open on Christmas Eve?
Asked by vicki k moon - Thu, 23 December
Yes, CLEAR appears to be open every day of the year.
Shuttle pickup options?
Asked by Greg Washburnp - Sat, 27 November
Is there a bus from MSP Airport to the Mall of America?
Asked by Mark Torreano - Wed, 17 November
Take the train. You can take the METRO Blue Line. It departs from Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 stations to Mall of America and depart about every 10 minutes during peak travel times. It only takes 12 minutes door to door!
What gates are used by Endeavor air?
Asked by donna - Tue, 21 September
What terminal does Delta fly in and out of?
Asked by Alda Hearne - Tue, 21 September
Delta is located in Terminal 1 and uses Concourses A, B, C, D, F, and G.
Are all Delta flights in and out of the same terminal?
Asked by Alda Hearne - Tue, 21 September
Where do I pick-up arriving passengers?
Asked by Tony - Tue, 21 September