Minneapolis Airport MSP
Minneapolis Airport MSP is an international airport located in Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States. It is within 10 miles (16km) of downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul as well. The airport is managed and run by the Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC).
MSP airport is the busiest and largest airport in the six-state Upper Midwest region of Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. It also has been ranked as one of the best large airports in the U.S. and the world by customer satisfaction surveys.
Airport Stats & Facts
- MSP Airport is centrally situated within a 30-minute drive of both downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul and is within easy reach of the surrounding suburban cities and towns.
- With 4 runways, 2 terminals and 38 million passengers annually, Minneapolis-St. Paul International is the third-largest hub for Delta, and Delta Connection partners Compass & Pinnacle.
- Minneapolis Airport is the 17th busiest U.S. airport for passengers and 12th for aircraft operations.
- In 2019, The airport served more than 38 million travelers.
- MSP Airport generates approx $15.9 billion annually for the Twin Cities’ economy and supports 87,000 workers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Airport peak hours at Terminal 1 are between 5 am - 8 am and between 3 pm - 5 pm
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the MSP Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- If departing from Terminal 1, all airlines’ ticketing and bag-check services are located in the Ticketing Lobby, located on Level 2.
- If departing from Terminal 2, you can purchase a ticket, obtain a boarding pass and check your luggage in the Ticketing Lobby, located on Level 1.
- For arriving flights: MSP Arriving Flight Status provides MSP airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: MSP Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and MSP airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Minneapolis International Airport, book a flight at MSP.
The Minneapolis International Airport has two terminals that are on the different sides of the airfield and are not connected to each other. In order to transfer between the terminals, one must take the free Light Rail.
Terminal 1: Known as the Lindbergh Terminal, it is larger than terminal 2 and has 7 interconnected concourses, lettered A-G. The terminal has 117 gates.
Terminal 2: Known as the Humphrey Terminal includes the entire concourse H. It has 14 gates.
MSP Airport serves various airlines. It also serves as a main hub for Delta Airlines and Sun Country Airlines. View the full list of airlines served at MSP Airport.
Short-term and Long-term Parking
Parking at MSP Airport is available onsite. There are lots of covered parking ramps on terminal 1 and on terminal 2, there are two covered ramps to choose from.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near the Minneapolis Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at MSP Airport. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from the MSP Airport. There are also inter-terminal shuttles available at the MSP airport.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. The light rail transit system is fully accessible and free between the terminals and also runs every 10-15 minutes. Metro Transit scheduled bus service to the Twin Cities metropolitan area, as well as Jefferson Lines is both available at the Terminal 1 Transit Center.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Minneapolis Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoe shine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- For picking someone up from the airport, feel free to wait in the cell phone waiting lot.
- The passenger can be dropped off outside the terminal.
Address: 4300 Glumack Drive, St. Paul, MN 55111 USA
Phone: (612) 726 5555
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Minneapolis Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- MSP airport came into being when various local groups were united to take control of the former bankrupt Twin City Speedway race track.
- In 1923, the airport was renamed Wold-Chamberlain Field in honor of two local pilots.
- In 1926, Minneapolis Airport became the main base for Northwest Airlines.
- In the 1960s, in addition to the construction of Terminal 1, massive expansion efforts were made.
- On June 1, 2002, concourses A and B were opened.
- In August 2015, the Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC) approved a plan that looks out to the year 2035.
- The final plan includes three phases through 2020, 2030 and 2035.
Minneapolis Airport FAQs
Q. Is Minneapolis Airport the same as MSP?
A. Yes. While the official name is Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, it is commonly referred to as Minneapolis Airport and MSP.
Q. How far is the Minneapolis Airport from downtown Minneapolis?
A. MSP is within 10 miles(16km) of both downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
Q. What airlines have a hub in MSP Airport?
A. MSP serves as a main hub for Delta Airlines and Sun Country Airlines.
Q. Can you sleep in the Minneapolis Airport?
A. Passengers are permitted to sleep in the Minneapolis Airport. It remains open 24 hours a day and visitors can stay airside overnight. We also recommend these awesome Minneapolis layover ideas.
Q. When is the best time to fly Minneapolis?
A. November is generally the best time to fly to Minneapolis.
Q. What cities can I fly from Minneapolis?
A. Being one of Delta Airlines’ major hubs, you can fly to direct many cities in the US and around the world. Check out our direct flights page to see where you can go.
Availabilty to Communicate
I will be arriving on an international flight and wil [more]Billber 09/25/2020
35 min connection time
I will be flying into MSP gate A with a 35 min layove [more]FW 09/03/2020
How do i tequest a cart to baggage claim
How do i request a cart to baggage claimThedon40 06/01/2020
Can I dine at MSP?
I have no scheduled flights but wanted to know if I c [more]Brian F 03/18/2020