Portland Airport, often referred to by its IATA airport code PDX, is a joint civil-military airport. It is the largest airport in the U.S state of Oregon that accounts for more than 95 percent of air cargo of the state and 90 percent of passenger air travel.
PDX is located within Portland’s city limits just south of the Columbia River in Multnomah County, 6 miles (10 km) by air and 12 miles (19 km) by highway northeast of downtown Portland. It covers an area of 3,000 acres (1,215 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- In 2013, Portland Oregon Airport was honored for the best US airport by readers of Travel+Leisure magazine.
- In 2015, 2016, and 2019, The airport was ranked number 1 by J.D. Power and Associates for the US “Large passenger Airports” and overall highest among passenger satisfaction.
- Also, in 2015, it was the ALPA Airport of the year.
- A massive extension project for Concourse B was completed in December 2021 which cost $100 million. It consists of 10 gates for Alaska and Horizon airlines flights.
Airport Traveling Tips
- PDX Airport is busy during the morning hours between 4:30 am - 6:30 am and in the evening between 5 pm to 6 pm.
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Portland Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: PDX Arriving Flight Status provides Portland airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: PDX Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and PDX airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Portland PDX Airport, book a flight at PDX airport here.
The Airport has one passenger terminal, split between two sides - South and North with 5 concourses - A, B, C, D, and E. To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the Portland Airport terminal map.
This terminal has 3 concourses:
- Concourse A - 14 gates (A1 - A14) *To make room for the extension of Concourse B, this concourse was permanently closed on 14 November 2019*
- Concourse B - 4 gates (B1 - B4)
- Concourse C - 23 gates (C1 - C23)
This terminal has 2 concourses:
- Concourse D - 15 gates (D1 - D15)
- Concourse E - 4 gates (E1 - E4)
Portland Airport is a hub for Alaska Airlines. It also serves various other airlines including American Airlines, Delta Airlines, JetBlue, Frontier Airlines, Condor, and more.
View the full list of airlines served at PDX Airport.
PDX Airport Parking
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at PDX Airport is available at the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Portland Airport.
Short-Term Parking Rates - $3/hour and $27/day
Long-Term Parking Rates - $3/hour and $24/day
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near PDX Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at PDX. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Portland Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. All means of transport are easily available outside of the parking garage.
Amenities & Services at PDX Airport
To help you enjoy your stay, Portland Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Address: 7000 New Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218, USA
Phone: (503) 460 4040
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found
Portland International Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1936, The Portland City Council purchased the present PDX site.
- In 1959, a new terminal was opened.
- By the 1980s, in order to update the airport to meet future needs, an extensive renovation began at the terminal building.
- In 1986, the ticketing and baggage claim areas were renovated and expanded..
- In the early 1990s, a food court and an extension were added to Concourse C.
- In 1994, there was an opening of the new Concourse D.
- On September 10, 2002, the present H-shape of the PDX terminal was completed.
- In August 2005, the concourse connector was opened.
- In 2017, construction for a project began to balance the use of the terminal and concourses at Portland Airport, and its completion is scheduled by June 2020.
- In December 2021, following the demolition of the old Concourse A, an expanded Concourse B was completed.
Maps, Airlines & Amenities
Portland Airport (PDX) Terminals
What terminal does Air Canada fly in?
Asked by Charles Hernandez - Fri, 21 October
Air Canada uses the E Concourse.
Do I have to make a reservation for the economy parking?
Asked by LAZARO - Tue, 11 October
No, you don't have to make a reservation for economy parking.
What is the British Airways departure gate?
Asked by Rhonde - Sun, 2 October
British Airways check-in is located near Concourse B.
Where can I get a wheelchair to get to the gate?
Asked by Tamara - Fri, 23 September
It is best to prearrange a wheelchair with your airline before your flight. You can also contact the wheelchair dispatch department at the airport at 503-460-4300.
I are there Catholic Masses held here?
Asked by Kate - Thu, 15 September
We couldn't find any Catholic Masses held here at this time.
What is the American Airlines baggage office phone number?
Asked by Scott - Sat, 10 September
You can contact American Airlines directly at 1-800-433-7300.
What is the hours for currency exchange?
Asked by Kenneth - Sat, 3 September
The typical hours are from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Could vary on holidays and weekends.
Where do i pick up my Avis rental car? I will arriving by taxi.
Asked by Mike - Fri, 19 August
How much is long term parking per day?
Asked by Patrick Jamieson Dodds - Sun, 24 July
It is $24 a day. There is also an Economy parking lot option at $12 a day.
Where is Allegiant check in counter?
Asked by David Slack - Thu, 2 June
It is located in Concourse C.
Phone number for baggage claim service?
Asked by Maureen Bennicoff - Sat, 7 May
You can call 503-460-4234 to reach Customer Services at the airport. However, we recommend you contact your airline directly about any baggage issues.
Which concourse is Southwest located on?
Asked by Patrick - Mon, 25 April
Southwest now operates out of Concourse E at this airport.
What is curbside check in? Can I check bags and get my boarding pass?
Asked by Alvin Kenneth Brewer - Wed, 13 April
The availability of curbside check-in varies from airline to airline. You should check with your airline to see if they offer curbside check-in. However, yes - if curbside check-in is available, you can check bags and get your boarding pass.
Where do I check in my bag for delta?
Asked by Terri - Mon, 11 April
Delta operates out of Concourse D at this airport. Find the Delta desks at Concourse D Departures.
Flying United to Houston, Monday 5AM flight. When should we be at security check in?
Asked by Kathleen S Baker - Fri, 1 April
The airport recommends that you arrive 1 1/2 – 2 hours before your scheduled departure, especially during the early morning.
Is there extra fees for economy parking, or is that included in the $12 a day?
Asked by steve mishlere - Sat, 19 March
The Economy Parking Lot is $12 a day.
Can you check bags before checking in?
Asked by joseph sandoval - Sun, 13 March
Checking bags is part of the check-in process. Please contact your airline if you have further questions about checking bags.
Is there passenger support?
Asked by Faye Brush - Wed, 9 March
You can call or text customer service from 6am-9pm at 530-460-4234.
Does Southwest airlines have curbside check-in?
Asked by Janet - Tue, 8 March
It currently states that the curbside check-in is closed, but would be best to reach out to Southwest directly at 800-435-9792 for up-to-date information.
Alaska air to Enterprise car rental?
Asked by Ken Jackson - Fri, 4 March
You can walk to the car rental center. Just follow signs to Rental Car Center from baggage claim.
Where do I return a rental car?
Asked by Herb - Sun, 27 February
To return a rental car, put this address into your GPS: 7240 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218. Make sure you follow signs on the lower roadway for Rental Car Return.
Which terminal does Alaska airlines use?
Asked by Genny - Sat, 26 February
Is there a smoking area at the Airport?
Asked by stephan - Thu, 24 February
Once you go through the security, there are no smoking areas as smoking is only permitted outside the terminal in the designated area.
Which Terminal does Air Canada use?
Asked by Breeza - Fri, 18 February
Where can I get the baggage claim?
Asked by Nitie - Mon, 14 February
Baggage claim is located at the lower level of the terminal.