Portland Airport PDX
Portland Maine Airport, often referred to by its IATA airport code PDX, is a joint civil-military airport. It is the largest airport in the U.S state of Oregon that accounts for more than 95 percent of air cargo of the state and 90 percent of passenger air travel.
PDX is located within Portland’s city limits just south of the Columbia River in Multnomah County, 6 miles (10 km) by air and 12 miles (19 km) by highway northeast of downtown Portland. It covers an area of 3,000 acres (1,215 ha).
Airport Stats & Facts
- In 2013, Portland Oregon Airport was honored for the best US airport by readers of Travel+Leisure magazine.
- In 2015, 2016, and 2019, The airport was ranked number 1 by J.D. Power and Associates for the US “Large passenger Airports” and overall highest among passenger satisfaction.
- Also, in 2015, it was the ALPA Airport of the year.
- In November 2019, an extension project for Concourse B was started which is expected to cost $100 million.
Airport Traveling Tips
- PDX Airport is busy during the morning hours between 4:30 am - 6:30 am and in the evening between 5 pm to 6 pm.
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Portland Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: PDX Arriving Flight Status provides Portland airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: PDX Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and PDX airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Portland Maine Airport, book a flight at PDX airport here.
The Airport has one passenger terminal, split between two sides - South and North with 5 concourses - A, B, C, D, and E. To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the Portland Airport terminal map.
This terminal has 3 concourses:
- Concourse A - 14 gates (A1 - A14) *To make room for the extension of Concourse B, this concourse was permanently closed on 14 November 2019*
- Concourse B - 4 gates (B1 - B4)
- Concourse C - 23 gates (C1 - C23)
This terminal has 2 concourses:
- Concourse D - 15 gates (D1 - D15)
- Concourse E - 4 gates (E1 - E4)
Portland Airport is a hub for Alaska Airlines. It also serves various other airlines including American Airlines, Delta Airlines, JetBlue, Frontier Airlines, Condor, and more.
PDX Airport Parking
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at PDX Airport is available at the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Portland Airport.
Short-Term Parking Rates - $3/hour and $27/day
Long-Term Parking Rates - $3/hour and $24/day
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near PDX Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at PDX. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Portland Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. All means of transport are easily available outside of the parking garage.
Amenities & Services at PDX Airport
To help you enjoy your stay, Portland Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Address: 7000 New Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218, USA
Phone: (503) 460 4040
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found
Portland International Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1936, The Portland City Council purchased the present PDX site.
- In 1959, a new terminal was opened.
- By the 1980s, in order to update the airport to meet future needs, an extensive renovation began at the terminal building.
- In 1986, the ticketing and baggage claim areas were renovated and expanded..
- In the early 1990s, a food court and an extension were added to Concourse C.
- In 1994, there was an opening of the new Concourse D.
- On September 10, 2002, the present H-shape of the PDX terminal was completed.
- In August 2005, the concourse connector was opened.
- In 2017, construction for a project began to balance the use of the terminal and concourses at Portland Airport, and its completion is scheduled by June 2020.
- In November 2019, Concourse A was demolished to replace it with an expanded Concourse B.
- The extension of Concourse B is estimated to be completed by 2021.
Portland Airport FAQs
Q. Is Portland Airport the same as PDX?
A: Yes. while the official name is Portland International Airport, it is also known as PDX.
Q. What airlines have a hub in PDX Airport?
A: Portland Airport is a hub for Alaska Airlines.
Q. How far is the Portland Maine Airport from Downtown Portland?
A: The airport is 6 miles (10 km) by air and 12 miles (19 km) by highway northeast of downtown Portland.
Q. Can you sleep at Portland Oregon Airport?
A: Passengers are permitted to sleep in the airport. It remains open 24 hours a day and visitors can stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome PDX layover ideas.
Q. What cities can I fly from PDX?
A: Being one of the busiest airports in the US, you can fly to many cities from Portland Airport. Check out our direct flights page to see where you can fly from the airport.
Is 45 Minutes Enough Time
I'm flying Alaska Air from Burbank to PDX. My conne [more]Joanj145 04/17/2020
Do i have enough time
I land at PDX and have another flight 31 mintues afte [more]Randi 01/16/2020
Disabled Veteran parking in Long term ParkingDavid Moreland 12/01/2019
Sea-PDX-PVR. Dec 1, 2019
Which Concourse is Alaska's International to PVR?CS 11/20/2019