Will Rogers World Airport, also known as Will Rogers Airport or simply Will Rogers, serves metropolitan Oklahoma City & its surrounding counties. Though the official IATA airport codes are OKC and KOKC, it is commonly referred to as ‘WRWA’ or ‘Will Rogers Airport’.
The airport covers an area of 8,081 acres (3,270 ha). OKC Airport is located about 6 miles (8 km) southwest of downtown Oklahoma City.
Airport Stats & Facts
- The airport is named for comedian and legendary cowboy Will Rogers, an Oklahoma native who died in an airplane crash near Barrow, Alaska in 1935.
- OKC is the busiest commercial airport in the state of Oklahoma.
- Marking the busiest year on record three years in a row, the airport served more than 4 million passengers in 2019.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Oklahoma City airport is busy in the morning between 5:00 am - 6:00 am.
- Passengers are advised to arrive at least 2 hours prior to the departure time of the flight to account for any possible delays and TSA security wait times.
- Please have a look at the OKC Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- Passengers are recommended to go through the baggage rules properly. When you arrive at the airport, you can proceed directly to the bag drop line at the ticket counter. Make sure that your bag is not over the weight limit, as it may be subject to additional fees.
- To avoid any issues related to identification, make sure to have a government-issued ID, such as your driver’s license, to pass through the checkpoint. Your name must match the exact name on your airline ticket.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be dropped off on the ticketing level of the terminal building.
- The pickup is in the Transportation Plaza, located on the baggage claim level, under the Airport Parking sign.
- Also, the ones seeing people off or picking up guests must wait in the area just before the security checkpoint.
- There is a sign that designates how far you can go. The Will Rogers airport is set up in such a way that all people exiting the concourses must exit the same way. So, no passenger would be missed.
- For arriving flights: Arrival flight status provides the arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the Will Rogers Airport.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at OKC.
There’s a single three-level terminal at Will Rogers World Airport. Along the West Concourse (Gates 1-12) and Central Concourse (Gates 14-24), there are 17 departure gates.
An expansion project is going on at Oklahoma City Airport, and it broke ground in March 2019.
The new Concourse expansion project will include an innovative view system composed of an elevated platform and lounge that will allow visitors to walk above the newly expanded East Concourse. Plus, there are many other additions too. Visitors would enter the elevated walkway at the terminal lobby unsecured side.
For more information, have a look at the OKC Terminal Map.
Will Rogers World Airport serves various airlines including Alaska Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, United Express, and many more.
There are multiple parking options at Will Rogers Airport.
Located on the lower level of the 2-story garage, this parking facility offers covered protection for the cars and provides the closest proximity to the terminal building. It offers long term parking only at $18 per day.
This lot is located on the upper level of the 2-story garage. It is suitable for visitors who want to spend short periods of time at the airport.
- FREE up to 1 hour
- $1 per hour up to 24 hours
- $24 per day.
In addition to the above short term & long-term parking options, there are other available options as well.
Off-Airport parking is available in various parking lots near the OKC Airport. Most of the off-site lots allow 24/7 access.
Passengers have a variety of ground transportation options after arriving at the airport such as rental cars, shuttles, buses, and more. Additionally, many passengers also opt for ride services such as Taxis, Uber, and Lyft.
The car rental center is located near the north of the terminal. Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, and more are some of the well-known providers for car rentals.
Buses & Trains
Looking for a cost-efficient and convenient option to travel from OKC Airport? Then, you can opt for public transportation. Greyhound Bus Station is located just east of downtown Oklahoma City.
Public and private vans and shuttles are on-site at the airport to meet all scheduled flights and transport passengers. The prices vary among the companies, and some of them may also charge a minimum fare.
Amenities & Services
Will Rogers World Airport provides plenty of amenities and services for passengers to have a wonderful stay. These include:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
Address: 7100 Terminal Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73159, USA
Phone: (405) 680 3200
Will Rogers World Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1911, the airport was opened as Oklahoma City Municipal Airfield.
- In 1941, it was renamed in Rogers’ honor.
- In 2001, Great Plains Airlines, a regional airline based in Tulsa, Oklahoma made Will Rogers World Airport a hub.
- In 2001, a $110 million multi-phase expansion and renovation project began.
- In 2005, a new concourse was opened.
- In 2008, the Airport officials approved a contract with Frankfurt Short Bruza Associates to begin planning for terminal expansion.
- In 2015, OKC trust agreed to proceed with the full construction of the East Concourse.