About Car Rental at Denver International Airport
You’ll find the car hire service counters at Denver International Airport at level 5 of the Jeppesen terminal and all of the car rental companies offer a free shuttle service to their outlets, which you can catch at level 5, island 4. There’s a wide range of high-quality car rental providers to choose from, including Budget Car Rental, Avis, Alamo, Dollar, Enterprise, Europcar, Thrifty, Payless, Hertz, Sixt and Advantage. Several major car hire providers have facilities at E 78th Avenue as well as at Pena Boulevard in the airport itself ̶ the locations are close but it’s always worth comparing deals as sometimes there are variations in prices, so you might make savings. Some of the most popular cars to rent at DEN are the Toyota Yaris, a frisky little economy model that costs just $47.37 a day if you book off-season, the Nissan Versa, a reliable compact model which caters for a family of four in comfort and is $50.68 a day if you book ahead of time, and the full-size Toyota Camry ̶ $66.09 a day and ideal for exploring the Mile High City and its surroundings in plenty of space, grace and pace.
Downtown car rental in Denver
If it’s easier for you to rent a car in downtown Denver, you’ll still find plenty of reliable car rental companies ready to help. With Budget, Avis, Europcar, Dollar and more operating across the city, it’s simple to compare Denver car rental prices and find the best deal for you and your travel group. With vast fleets full of fabulous vehicles, you’ll find a car that suits you down to the ground ̶ whether that’s a chic and compact runaround like a Kia Rio, a sleek Volkswagen Jetta saloon, a rugged Mazda Cx-5, or a roomy 7-seater Chrysler Voyager.
There’s lots to see and do in and around Denver ̶ you’ll never be bored in the Mile High City. Since a huge urban regeneration program in the 1990s, the city’s ambient outdoor lifestyle, pretty parks and lakes and unique natural attractions like the awesome Red Rocks Amphitheatre have attracted incomers from the Midwest, Texas and California, as well as visitors from around the world. The cuisine scene is vibrant, with many lip-smacking restaurants concentrated in the LoDo district, while if you’re partial to a few brewskis you’ll be in craft beer heaven here, with microbreweries aplenty, a Craft Beer Trail to take you around the hotspots and the annual Great American Beer Festival each October. Throw in excellent live music venues, traditional and contemporary art galleries and a history at the heart of the Old West and you’ve got a diverse and dynamic metropolis to explore.
Driving in Denver
Driving in and around Denver for the first time or in need of a refresher guide? Read the following tips:
- If you’re arriving from abroad, please remember that you drive on the right in Denver. Always wear your seatbelt and never drink under the influence of alcohol.
- Colorado state speed limits are 65mph on surfaced four-lane highways that form part of the interstate system, or expressways, 55mph on all other open highways, 40mph on open mountain highways, 30mph in all residential districts, 25mph in all business districts, 20mph on any narrow mountain road containing frequent bends and blind curves.
- The street layout in Denver is a grid system, where the vast majority of the roads run north-south or east-west. This doesn’t apply in the suburbs or downtown, but makes the city reasonably easy to navigate nonetheless. The two major interstate roads that serve Denver are the I70, for east-west traffic, and the I-25 which carries north-south traffic ̶ these are your main entry and exit points for the city.
Car rental agencies in DEN
Here’s some more interesting info on some of the top car rental agencies in Denver airport:
- Avis was founded in 1946 by Warren Avis at Detroit’s Willow Run Airport. His $85,000 investment represented the first ever car rental operation at an airport. It went from strength to strength in the following decades, with the iconic ‘We Try Harder’ 1960s marketing campaign placing it firmly in the nation’s collective consciousness. The organization now has more than 5000 locations in 165 countries.
- Dollar was founded by Henry J. Caruso in 1965 and it’s now a subsidiary of the Hertz Corporation. With a firm focus on customer service excellence from its inception, Dollar now has 570 locations in 61 different nations, including 260 in the US and Canada, as well as a significant car rental market share in the Caribbean and Latin America.
These are just two great car rental operators at DEN ̶ there are plenty more to choose from.
Top road trips from Denver
There are lots of attractions when you hit the road in Denver and Colorado at large. Here are some legendary road trips:
- Boulder, Colorado is a lovely college town located just 30 miles outside Denver in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains National Forest. If you love small town Americana vibes, fresh craft beer and good music, you’ll feel right at home here. Browse the independent stores along Pearl Street, or head into the great outdoors for the scenic hike along the Flatiron Loop Trail.
- Garden of the Gods is 67 miles from Denver, in Colorado Springs, and you can get there in around an hour and a quarter, traffic permitting. This is a ravishing collection of natural red rock formations which pierces the big blue skies and it’s an absolute joy to behold. Apart from the sublime selfie opportunities, it’s worth hanging around for jeep tours horseback riding and panoramic hiking trails.
Q: Is it easy to reach downtown Denver from DEN Airport?
A: Yes. Take Pena Boulevard and I-70 W and you’ll be in downtown Denver in around half an hour.
Q: Can I sleep in or near DEN?
A: You can indeed, with Denver Airport hotel choices including The Westin Denver International Airport and Staybridge Suites Denver International Airport.
Q: Which direct destinations can I fly to from DEN?
A: Nonstop routes from Denver International Airport include a 12-hour direct flight to Tokyo NRT, Paris and many US domestic destinations.
Q: Which international locations connect with DEN?
A: You can fly to and from Denver to London, Mexico City, Belize, Costa Rica, Frankfurt and more.
Q: How many airports are in Colorado?
A: The state of Colorado has 37 airports, including the flagship hub DEN and Colorado Springs Airport.