San Antonio Airport is an international airport in San Antonio, Texas. It is owned by the City of San Antonio and operated by the San Antonio Aviation Department.
The airport is in Uptown Central San Antonio, about 8 miles north of Downtown. SAT covers an area of 2,305 acres (933 ha).
Airport Stats and Facts
- The airport is supporting over 97,000 jobs and providing nearly $1.6 billion in annual earnings for workers and proprietors.
- SAT averages 260 daily departures and arrivals.
- In 2019, the airport served more than 10 million passengers.
- The airport's master plan calls for another new terminal, Terminal C.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The busy hours of the airport are in the morning between 7:00 am - 8:00 am.
- The peak periods at the airport include Spring Break, mid-July to early August, Thanksgiving, Christmas - New Year.
- Passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours before international flight departure, and for a domestic flight, 2 hours before the departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, please have a look at the SAT Airport map.
- All TSA checkpoints open at 3:30 a.m.
- Passengers should pack carry-on luggage in a suitable manner, have photo ID ready, and read all the airline guidelines properly prior to arriving at the airport.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Only active loading and unloading is permitted at the Terminal curb areas and drivers must remain with their vehicles at all times.
- If additional time is needed for passenger pick-up, the driver will be required to move. You may park for up to 15 minutes FREE in the Short or Long Term garages, or use the Cell Phone Waiting Lot.
- Passengers can be dropped off outside the appropriate terminal from where their respective flight is to be departed. When dropping off a passenger, drop them off at the Departure level (upper level).
- For arriving flights: The arrival times, gate information, delays, and time to land for the San Antonio Airport are available under Arrivals.
- For departing flights: Departing flight status lists scheduled vs actual departure, gate information, map tracking, and flight delays.
- To get the best fares, book a flight at SAT.
There are two terminals and overall 24 jet bridges gates at San Antonio Airport. For more information, and to see the terminal locations, please refer to the SAT Airport terminal map.
Larger of the two concourses with 17 gates in total, all international flights operate out of Terminal A.
Opened in November 2010, Terminal B contains 8 gates.
The various airlines served by San Antonio Airport include Allegiant Air, Delta Connection, Southwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, and more.
San Antonio International Airport has three parking options for travelers - Long Term and Short Term Parking Garage or Economy Green and Red Parking Lots.
Short-Term and Long-Term Parking
The rates for short-term and long-term parking at SAT are as follows:
0 to 15 Minutes: Free
16 Minutes - 30 min: $3
31 Minutes - 1 Hour: $5
1 - 1.5 Hours: $7
1.5 - 2 Hours: $9
2 - 2.5 Hours: $11
2.5 - 3 Hours: $13
3 - 3.5 Hours: $15
3.5 - 4 Hours: $17
4.5 - 24 Hours: $25
Short-term daily maximum: $25
0 to 15 Minutes: Free
16 Minutes - 60 min: $3
31 Minutes - 1 Hour: $5
1 - 2 Hours: $5
2 - 3 Hours: $7
3 - 4 Hours: $9
4 - 24 Hrs: $14
Economy Parking (Green and Red Lots)
The following are the rates to use the economy parking lots:
0 to 15 Minutes: Free
16 Minutes - 1 Hour: $3
1 - 2 Hours: $5
2 - 24 Hours: $7
1 Week: $49
All ground transportation is located on the commercial outer curb in front of Terminal A and B. From rental cars to limos to buses, and more, passengers have a variety of ground transportation options after arriving at the airport. Additionally, many passengers also opt for ride services such as Taxis, Uber, and Lyft.
When opting for rental cars at San Antonio International Airport, there are several companies to choose from. Car rental counters are located in the lobby of our Consolidated Car Rental Facility. Some of the well-known providers include Avis, Alamo, Budget, Dollar, etc.
Limo & Taxis
Passengers can utilize the taxis and limos services, to travel from the SAT Airport. Taxi cabs are available at the outer commercial curbside at Terminal A. For Limousines services, various authorized and permitted service providers are available such as Concert Limo service, ETI Limousine, River City Limo Inc., plus more.
One of the most economical methods to travel from SAT is through public transport. VIA Metropolitan Transit is San Antonio's public transportation agency offering service throughout the city including service within the downtown area. VIA's bus stop is located on the far West end of Terminal B, clearly marked on the column.
Amenities & Services
For visitors to have a great stay, San Antonio Airport provides plenty of amenities and services including:
- Store, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Vending machines, and banks/ATMs.
- Meditation Room.
Address: 9800 Airport Blvd, San Antonio, TX 78216, USA
Phone: (210) 207 3433
San Antonio Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1941, the San Antonio International Airport was found.
- In July 1942, the airport opened as Alamo Field.
- in 1951-53, Terminal 2 was built along with the FAA control tower and a baggage claim area.
- In 1999, SAT boarded over 3.5 million passengers.
- From February to September 2006, the airport was a focus city for United Airlines.
- On November 9, 2010, the original Terminal 2 closed, and Terminal B opened.
- In 2010, Terminal 1 was renamed Terminal A.
- In June 2015, it was announced that the 3-story short-term parking garage, which was over 30 years old, would be closed and demolished in order to make way for a new 7-story parking garage and Consolidated Rental Car Center.
- Preliminary plans for Terminal C call for five gates which could be expanded to 11 gates as passenger counts require.
How often do the shuttles run in the red and green economy parking lots?
Asked by Jenny - Fri, 28 October
The parking division is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and we believe the shuttles run throughout that time. If you have any questions regarding specific days please contact them at 210-207-3465.
I have a disabled veteran license plates and was told that I can park free at the San Antonio airport. How do I do that?
Asked by Albert DeBarros - Sun, 9 October
We couldn't find where it was stated there was free parking available but you can contact their parking department at 210-207-3465.
What are the times the free shuttles run from the airport to the green lot?
Asked by Ashley - Fri, 23 September
There are no times listed for the free shuttles at this airport.
Were is the rental car facilities?
Asked by Arturo - Sun, 18 September
All of the rental car options can be found in the lobby at the Consolidated Car Rental Facility. You will need to take the elevator or escalator up to the Mezzanine Level in Terminal B and then cross the Sky Bridge.
In which terminal do we find Viva Aerobus?
Asked by R. S. Pressman - Fri, 9 September
Viva Aerobus is located in Terminal A.
My daughter is coming in from Dallas, where can I park until she calls me she's here?
Asked by angella ayala - Thu, 8 September
There is a cell phone waiting lot next to the Economy Red Lot where you can wait until she calls you to let you know she's ready to be picked up.
How do I arrange for wheelchair assistance to gate?
Asked by T Baker - Sat, 3 September
You will need to make this arrangement with your airlines when booking your flight.
What is the height of truck that can drive in short term parking? My truck is 7’4” high. Will it fit?
Asked by Louis menard - Fri, 19 August
There isn't a height max listed, but you can contact them to make sure at 210-207-3465.
How can I contact San Antonio baggage claim?
Asked by Martha Soltero Gonzalez - Fri, 12 August
You will need to contact your airline directly for any baggage claim questions.
Do terminals A and B connect?
Asked by Jim - Wed, 10 August
Yes, they are connected in one building.
Where is the pick up for Southwest Airlines?
Asked by Debbie - Fri, 27 May
The airport asks that you park in the cell phone lot that is located just off of 410/Airport Blvd, and then your passenger can text you what door they are at and you can pick them up.
Where do I check in for international flight to London via American Airlines?
Asked by Kenneth Bowen - Mon, 2 May
Monthly rate for Red/Green lots?
Asked by Glenda - Mon, 4 April
Parking at these lots is $56/week. Monthly parking rates only seem to be available for airport employees.
Is there a Chick-fil-A in the airport?
Asked by Lou Ann Norris - Wed, 30 March
There is no Chick-fil-A located at this airport.
How do I get from Terminal B to Terminal A?
Asked by Diane Tenison - Sat, 26 March
Both Terminal A and Terminal B are located within the same building but there are separate check-in counters and security control. However, there's a free shuttle bus between the parking lots and both Terminal A and Terminal B.
How often does the shuttle come to the green/red lots?
Asked by Mike - Wed, 23 March
There is no information on how often the shuttle runs, just that it's free and that it runs frequently.
How do I get from Consolidated Car Rental Facility to American Airlines ticket desk?
Asked by James - Tue, 22 March
Take the elevator to the escalator on the 1st floor. Then, take the Sky Bridge over to the terminal. There, look for signs for American Airlines.
What is the rate for long term parking, for 11 days?
Asked by Nancy - Tue, 8 March
Long term parking at the Long Term Parking Garage costs $16/day, for a maximum of 30 days. Rates are subject to change.
Do I need to make a reservation for long term parking?
Asked by Joann Baird - Sat, 5 March
No, you do not meet to make any reservation for long term parking. They are first-come, first serve.
How far is walk from Terminal A to Terminal B?
Asked by Raman - Sat, 26 February
It takes around 8 minutes to reach terminal B from Terminal A at this airport.
Does the airport have a smoking area?
Asked by jennifer - Thu, 24 February
Yes, outside the airport terminals there are designated areas - however, smoking is not allowed in the airport.
It is near impossible to figure out what the free Wi-Fi is at San Antonio airport.
Asked by Jared Walker - Mon, 21 February
Free wifi is available at this airport. You can connect to the “SAIA1”, “WiFi4Public”, or “Airpath4Public” networks.
Which Terminal does Frontier Airlines use?
Asked by Kylie - Fri, 18 February
Frontier Airlines uses Terminal A.
Where is the Uber rideshare pickup?
Asked by jennie - Tue, 15 February
The approved rideshare services can pick up the customer on the outer commercial curbside, lower level of Terminal A. Uber, Lyft, and Wingz are approved rideshare services companies.