Albany Airport ALB is located in Loudonville, County of Albany, six miles (9km) northwest of downtown Albany. It serves New York State's capital city Albany, as well as the regions of northeastern New York and western New England.
ALB airport is also a gateway to the spectacular Adirondack State Park, a huge region which includes a part of Lake Champlain, Lake George, Lake Saranac, Tupper Lake and a multitude of smaller lakes and mountains, making it an ideal vacation spot for weary city dwellers. It has a long runway, and is sometimes used as a diversion airport for major NY airports as it can land larger planes.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Albany Airport was the first municipal airport in the US.
- The average daily commercial arrivals and departures are 53, and serves over 2 million passengers a year.
- ALB was awarded the Balchen-Post Award for outstanding achievement in Airport Snow and Ice Control.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport can get crowded in the early morning, especially on Mondays.
- Travelers departing during morning rush hours - beware - going through security can take up to 90 minutes.
- Arrive an hour before a domestic flight departure and at least 90 minutes before an international flight departure to account for ALB security wait times and any possible flight delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- ALB is accessible from the Adirondack Northway I-87, exit 4, which connects to the NYS Throughway (I-90 West/East, I-87 South/North) exit 24 to the South and I-88 connects to it at exit 25A (to the SW).
- For arriving flights: ALB arriving flight status provides arrival times, delays, time to land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: ALB departing flight status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and ALB airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Albany airport, book a flight at ALB.
Albany International Airport has a main terminal divided into two levels.
- Level 1: It includes the main check-in area, baggage claim, car rentals, and taxi services.
- Level 2: This level includes a public waiting area.
ALB airport has 3 concourses. Concourse A, Concourse B, and concourse C.
For more information, refer to the Albany Airport terminal map.
The Albany International Airports serves various airlines like Allegiant Air Airlines, Delta Airlines, United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and more. View the full list of airlines served at ALB Airport.
ALB International offers many parking options at reasonable prices.
Located across the terminal on the first level of the parking garage. The short term parking is free for the first 30 minutes and $24 for a day.
It is located behind the parking garage, and has lots at the east and west ends of the terminal. Long term parking is $10 for a day.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near the Albany Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access and also provide a shuttle service to and from the airport.
Travelers have many options to choose from after arriving at the airport for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize cab services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
The rental car counters are in the terminal’s baggage area and the rental fleet is located in the parking garage. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Passengers can opt for public transportation to travel from Albany Airport. Options include local bus or long-distance bus, as per their convenience.
Airport Shuttle Services are an efficient way to travel to and from Albany Airport. There are many different shuttle services, making it easy to get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Amenities & Services
To make your stay enjoyable, Albany International Airport provides visitors with different amenities and services:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Short-Term parking garage allows those arriving for flights, dropping off, or greeting passengers to park free for the first 30 minutes.
- It is located directly across from the terminal on the first level.
Address: 737 Albany-Shaker Road, Albany, NY 12211, USA
Phone: (518) 242-2200
Did you lose an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Albany Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1908, the first airstrip was on a polo field on Loudonville Road, which was three miles north of the city in Colonie.
- In 1909, the airport was named Albany, as it moved to Westerlo Island, in the city of Albany.
- Until 1960, Albany Airport was jointly owned and managed by the city and county of Albany.
- In 1962, a new terminal building was opened and was again expanded in 1979.
- In 1999, the Airport Authority began constructing a 16 thousand square feet addition to the new terminal to accommodate Southwest Airlines.
- Presently, the airport offers parking for more than 6,000 vehicles and a new parking garage is expected to be opened in March 2020.
Is the only $6 long term parking off Albany Shaker?
Asked by Sig - Tue, 17 May
Yes, the only parking option with this rate is the Economy E-Lot located off of Albany Shaker Road.
Are there shuttles to transport passengers from long term parking to the terminals?
Asked by Walter Ryan - Fri, 15 April
Yes. The lots closer to the terminal are just a few minutes walk. But the economy lots on the other side of the airfield are all serviced by a free shuttle.
Show me the layout of the terminals
Asked by Marianna Tomasino - Fri, 1 April
How do I reserve parking in the Economy E-Lot?
Asked by Sue - Sun, 27 March
You cannot reserve parking at this airport, it all appears to be first-come, first-serve.
How do we get a suitcase delivered that did not arrive on our flight?
Asked by Laurie Wenner - Thu, 17 March
Please contact your airline directly for any lost luggage.
Do you need to remove shoes at checkpoint, need to know if I need to wear slipon, I have a problem tying my shoes due to artificial hips
Asked by jo - Thu, 17 March
Yes, you do need to remove your shoes during the security screening process, unless you have special clearance.
What time should you arrive for your flight leaving Albany Airport?
Asked by Bonnie - Wed, 9 March
According to the airport, it is best to arrive at least 90 minutes before your departure.
What is allowed on a carry on?
Asked by CHRISSY - Tue, 1 March
When does Dunkin’ Donuts at Albany airport open in the morning?
Asked by William Malanga - Sat, 12 February
Dunkin at ALB opens at 4am in the morning every day.
How often does the shuttle come in long term parking?
Asked by Deborah Warren - Sat, 12 February
Most shuttle services in Albany Airport are available for short term parking which is mostly within 30 minutes window. However the Albany Park Ride Fly runs on demand and comes in to pick you up back to your vehicle any time of the day, but it's important to notify them of any long term parking.
What is the phone number for American Airlines baggage claim?
Asked by Bill Hill - Fri, 11 February
The phone number for American Airlines baggage claim is 800-535-5225. The call center is available for 24 hours, 7 days and the best time to easily reach them is by 2pm.
How much does it cost to bring an extra luggage bag?
Asked by ellie - Fri, 11 February
Extra baggage fees is calculated based on fare class and specific route flown - and the policies of the airline you are using. However, a luggage that weighs more then 23Kg (50lbs) cost within the range of $50-$200 depending on the number of bags.
What is your zip code?
Asked by Marc Weiner - Fri, 11 February
The Zip code for Albany International Airport is 12211.
How do I get updates on my lost/delayed luggage?
Asked by Marcia - Mon, 7 February
Contact your airline for updates on your lost or delayed luggage.
Who do I call regarding missing luggage?
Asked by Glenn Clark - Fri, 4 February
You should contact your airline directly regarding any missing luggage. For other lost and found needs, you can contact the Albany International Airport Information Center at (518) 242-2299.
What time does the airport open. I have a 5:50AM flight what time is the earliest I can check my bag?
Asked by Kathleen - Wed, 24 November
The Albany Airport is open 24 hours a day. However, the TSA security checkpoint opens at 4:00am each day.
Is the E lot open at Albany Airport?
Asked by Steve - Tue, 16 November
The ALB Airport E lot was re-opened on 15 November 2021. The airport has indicated that they are working to update the website to reflect this.
How do EZ Pass customers get receipts for business travel when parking at Albany airport?
Asked by Maureen - Mon, 1 November
Where do I check in with my printed online ticket for flying with Allegiant?
Asked by Glee Keelen - Thu, 28 October
Do you have luggage? If so, you would proceed to the Allegiant desk at the ground level. If you do not have luggage and you have the ticket (either on phone or paper), you can proceed to the gates by going up the escalator to the 2nd floor. There's only one area to go through security at Albany Airport so is easy to find. Safe travels!
My luggage didn't make it to Albany Airport yesterday, October 25. I was told it would be delivered to me this morning, October 26. I received an email from Where'sMySuitcase stating my luggage would be picked up from Albany at 1:00 PM, delivered by 7:00. I was told at the airport it would be delivered this morning. I need my luggage delivered THIS MORNING as I was told it would be.
Asked by June - Tue, 26 October
Where can I park for arriving passenger pickup?
Asked by Carol Molesky - Tue, 19 October
I will be flying in on Jet Blue flight 88 on Oct 21. I will be using wheel chair. My Grandson is flying in on Southwest from Midway Chicago. Both flights arrive at approximately same time. My daughter will be coming in at 5:15 from Denver. Please suggest a spot we can all meet at.
Asked by Joan - Sun, 17 October
Are there taxis available around 10.00pm.when my flight arrives?
Asked by Bart - Sat, 9 October