Albany Airport ALB is located in Loudonville, County of Albany, six miles (9km) northwest of downtown Albany. It serves New York State's capital city Albany, as well as the regions of northeastern New York and western New England.
ALB airport is also a gateway to the spectacular Adirondack State Park, a huge region which includes a part of Lake Champlain, Lake George, Lake Saranac, Tupper Lake and a multitude of smaller lakes and mountains, making it an ideal vacation spot for weary city dwellers. It has a long runway, and is sometimes used as a diversion airport for major NY airports as it can land larger planes.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Albany Airport was the first municipal airport in the US.
- The average daily commercial arrivals and departures are 53, and serves over 2 million passengers a year.
- ALB was awarded the Balchen-Post Award for outstanding achievement in Airport Snow and Ice Control.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport can get crowded in the early morning, especially on Mondays.
- Travelers departing during morning rush hours - beware - going through security can take up to 90 minutes.
- Arrive an hour before a domestic flight departure and at least 90 minutes before an international flight departure to account for ALB security wait times and any possible flight delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- ALB is accessible from the Adirondack Northway I-87, exit 4, which connects to the NYS Throughway (I-90 West/East, I-87 South/North) exit 24 to the South and I-88 connects to it at exit 25A (to the SW).
- For arriving flights: ALB arriving flight status provides arrival times, delays, time to land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: ALB departing flight status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and ALB airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Albany airport, book a flight at ALB.
Albany International Airport has a main terminal divided into two levels.
- Level 1: It includes the main check-in area, baggage claim, car rentals, and taxi services.
- Level 2: This level includes a public waiting area.
ALB airport has 3 concourses. Concourse A, Concourse B, and concourse C.
For more information, refer to the Albany Airport terminal map.
The Albany International Airports serves various airlines like Allegiant Air Airlines, Delta Airlines, United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and more. View the full list of airlines served at ALB Airport.
ALB International offers many parking options at reasonable prices.
Located across the terminal on the first level of the parking garage. The short term parking is free for the first 30 minutes and $24 for a day.
It is located behind the parking garage, and has lots at the east and west ends of the terminal. Long term parking is $10 for a day.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near the Albany Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access and also provide a shuttle service to and from the airport.
Travelers have many options to choose from after arriving at the airport for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize cab services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
The rental car counters are in the terminal’s baggage area and the rental fleet is located in the parking garage. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Passengers can opt for public transportation to travel from Albany Airport. Options include local bus or long-distance bus, as per their convenience.
Airport Shuttle Services are an efficient way to travel to and from Albany Airport. There are many different shuttle services, making it easy to get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Amenities & Services
To make your stay enjoyable, Albany International Airport provides visitors with different amenities and services:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Short-Term parking garage allows those arriving for flights, dropping off, or greeting passengers to park free for the first 30 minutes.
- It is located directly across from the terminal on the first level.
Address: 737 Albany-Shaker Road, Albany, NY 12211, USA
Phone: (518) 242-2200
Did you lose an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Albany Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1908, the first airstrip was on a polo field on Loudonville Road, which was three miles north of the city in Colonie.
- In 1909, the airport was named Albany, as it moved to Westerlo Island, in the city of Albany.
- Until 1960, Albany Airport was jointly owned and managed by the city and county of Albany.
- In 1962, a new terminal building was opened and was again expanded in 1979.
- In 1999, the Airport Authority began constructing a 16 thousand square feet addition to the new terminal to accommodate Southwest Airlines.
- Presently, the airport offers parking for more than 6,000 vehicles and a new parking garage is expected to be opened in March 2020.
Albany Airport Q&A
Have a question about Albany airport?
iFly User Q&A
Are there taxis available at Albany Airport around 10.00pm.when my flight arrives?
By Bart - Saturday, 9 October, 2021, 5:10 PM
Answered By: iFly Staff
Was this answer helpful?