Albany Airport ALB
Albany Airport ALB is located in Loudonville, County of Albany, six miles (9km) northwest of downtown Albany. It serves New York State's capital city Albany, as well as the regions of northeastern New York and western New England.
ALB airport is also a gateway to the spectacular Adirondack State Park, a huge region which includes a part of Lake Champlain, Lake George, Lake Saranac, Tupper Lake and a multitude of smaller lakes and mountains, making it an ideal vacation spot for weary city dwellers.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Albany Airport was the first municipal airport in the US.
- The average daily commercial arrivals and departures are 53, and serves over 2 million passengers a year.
- ALB was awarded the Balchen-Post Award for outstanding achievement in Airport Snow and Ice Control.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport can get crowded in the early morning, especially on Mondays.
- Travelers departing during morning rush hours - beware - going through security can take up to 90 minutes.
- Arrive an hour before a domestic flight departure and at least 90 minutes before an international flight departure to account for ALB security wait times and any possible flight delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- ALB is accessible from the Adirondack Northway I-87, exit 4, which connects to the NYS Throughway (I-90 West/East, I-87 South/North) exit 24 to the South and I-88 connects to it at exit 25A (to the SW).
- For arriving flights: ALB arriving flight status provides arrival times, delays, time to land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: ALB departing flight status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and ALB airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Albany airport, book a flight at ALB.
Albany International Airport has a main terminal divided into two levels.
- Level 1: It includes the main check-in area, baggage claim, car rentals, and taxi services.
- Level 2: This level includes a public waiting area.
ALB airport has 3 concourses. Concourse A, Concourse B, and concourse C.
For more information, refer to the Albany Airport terminal map.
The Albany International Airports serves various airlines like Allegiant Air Airlines, Delta Airlines, United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and more. View the full list of airlines served at ALB Airport.
ALB Airport Parking
ALB International offers many parking options at reasonable prices.
Located across the terminal on the first level of the parking garage. The short term parking is free for the first 30 minutes and $24 for a day.
It is located behind the parking garage, and has lots at the east and west ends of the terminal. Long term parking is $10 for a day.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near the Albany Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access and also provide a shuttle service to and from the airport.
Travelers have many options to choose from after arriving at the airport for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize cab services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
The rental car counters are in the terminal’s baggage area and the rental fleet is located in the parking garage. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Passengers can opt for public transportation to travel from Albany Airport. Options include local bus or long-distance bus, as per their convenience.
Airport Shuttle Services are an efficient way to travel to and from Albany Airport. There are many different shuttle services, making it easy to get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Amenities & Services at ALB Airport
To make your stay enjoyable, Albany International Airport provides visitors with different amenities and services:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Address: 737 Albany-Shaker Road, Albany, NY 12211, USA
Phone: (518) 242-2200
Did you lose an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Albany Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1908, the first airstrip was on a polo field on Loudonville Road, which was three miles north of the city in Colonie.
- In 1909, the airport was named Albany, as it moved to Westerlo Island, in the city of Albany.
- Until 1960, Albany Airport was jointly owned and managed by the city and county of Albany.
- In 1962, a new terminal building was opened and was again expanded in 1979.
- In 1999, the Airport Authority began constructing a 16 thousand square feet addition to the new terminal to accommodate Southwest Airlines.
- Presently, the airport offers parking for more than 6,000 vehicles and a new parking garage is expected to be opened in March 2020.
Albany Airport FAQs
Q. How far is the Albany Airport from downtown Albany?
A. The airport is six miles (9km) northwest of Albany, in Albany county.
Q. Can you sleep at Albany Airport?
A. Passengers are permitted to sleep in the ALB Airport. It’s opened around the clock and visitors can stay airside overnight.
Q. When is the best time to fly from Albany?
A.The best time in terms of cost, to fly from Albany Airport is January, yes, the middle of winter!
Q. Where can I fly from Albany International Airport?
A. There are various places you can visit from ALB airport. Check the list of direct flights from ALB.
How sad it is that Albany now decided the hell with H [more]bll 03/07/2020
ALB use to have special rates for handicap long term [more]bl 02/29/2020
Where do you meet the shuttle?Ac 02/18/2020
when is it coming?bosdfg 12/10/2019